The Student Room Group

GCSE geography exam question help??

Hey, so this is my first post here (and it's not a surprise it's on geography btw lol).

So I'm only a few days into year 11 and I'm already panicking about Geography. It's mainly just because I have no idea how to answer exam questions, as in how to lay them out, structure them and how to fit all the information in. I'm good at English and usually like planning out my answers, even if it's just in my head, but I find geography so different just because it involves so many different statistics and facts.

Right now we're studying human geography (the changing economic world). We're using Nigeria as our case study and to be honest, due to me being a little unorganised last year as well, my head is everywhere with this subject and topic right now. I hate exam questions in geography with a passion, and to add to that my teacher always reminds us that this GCSE is completely new and so not only will questions be harder, but we can't tell what they will be like in terms of using past papers.

We were given homework today, it's an exam question and I'm really stuck so if anyone could give me tips on how to answer it that would be really great.
The question is:

Using the example of a LIC (low income country) or a NEE (newly emerging economy) -I'd use Nigeria here - evaluate the effectiveness of international aid on a country's development. (6 marks)

In today's lesson we looked at the impacts of international aid on Africa. We learnt that Nigeria needs aid because 60% of the population live on £0.63 a day. Also, the most successful aid projects are small community based projects which are supported by small charities and NGOs, as opposed to large aid projects delivered by the government.

I just need help on condensing this all into an exam answer. My teacher said the answer should be two paragraphs, and I'm taking that there needs to be some sort of confusion, i.e "evaluate".

Really appreciate you reading this and helping me out, thanks!
Reply 1
You should really make Case Study notes, an a4, or two, pages on each case study (ones on countries are a bit longer.)

For 6 markers:

Using the example of a LIC (low income country) or a NEE (newly emerging economy) evaluate the effectiveness of international aid on a country's development.

You need 2 well developed points.

Talk about 2 examples of aid (include statistics or facts to really make your answer shine), and evaluate whether each one was effective or ineffective. Say why you think each one is effective/ineffective
Reply 2
Original post by Hasto
You should really make Case Study notes, an a4, or two, pages on each case study (ones on countries are a bit longer.)

For 6 markers:

Using the example of a LIC (low income country) or a NEE (newly emerging economy) evaluate the effectiveness of international aid on a country's development.

You need 2 well developed points.

Talk about 2 examples of aid (include statistics or facts to really make your answer shine), and evaluate whether each one was effective or ineffective. Say why you think each one is effective/ineffective

Okay, thanks so much for the advice, it was really helpful!

I've written up my answer and used small aid projects and large government delivered aid projects as my two examples of aid.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending