The Student Room Group

Anon_98's final a level journey

Hello. So I’m Anon, and this is my final ever study blog. I’m creating one bc I really think it’ll be beneficial and give me the motivation I require to start my new academic year in the right way. I was quite honestly absolutely dreading doing yet, another year of A levels not to mention I’m rather fed up of seeing myself in this sub-forum but I’m now sort of looking forward to it and I truly hope this feeling lasts.

So in this thread I’ll be documenting mainly my day at college, assignments, and just revision I have to do really.

Not sure how often I’ll manage to post, but hopefully at least twice a week.

Haven’t been very good at committing myself to these things in the past, but determined not to abandon this one.

Thank you for reading.

Scroll to see replies

Good luck! You will get through it. Looking forward to the updates :smile:
Reply 2
10/09/2017

What a tough week.

So I return back to school very soon and unfortunately I didn't get round to doing much of my coursework this summer therefore I've not got very long to complete it.

I'm going to focus primarily on photography today since after viewing my timetable, that is the first class I have.

Plans:

- Statement of intent
- Research
- Editing
- Annotation
Reply 3
Update for 10/09/2017

15:41 - So far I have completed 1 task off my list which is my statement of intent. I used the pomodoro technique to help me yet still got distracted a few times.. however I have written just under 600 words which isn’t too terrible. Managed to get myself some breakfast in the process which constituted of granola and milk, but right now I need to nap so I’m going to do that bc once I feel re-energised, I will be able to continue with this. Be back soon. Also, my laptop is running out of battery and it’ll give me the chance to charge it without having to remain in a specific place. - I hate doing that.

16:32 Hi, back. I got some really good rest mm. Tbh, I would’ve slept longer but the doorbell woke me up. I’ll do task 3 before task 2 as it’ll mean I can listen to music whilst I edit. Very cold right now though so definitely staying in bed for this part. Also pretty hungry so I shall get myself a bottle of water then get productive.

19:11 I’ve just finished doing 21 edits. My love for photography is now existent. A miracle considering how tedious I used to find it but this sesh has been super relaxing and fun and I’m very proud of all them. I’m going to take a small break and paint my nails then I’ll start task 2.

21:24 - ‘small break’ lasted over 2 hours eeeeek.

22:58 Okay so rather than task 2, I did task 4. Except, I’m nowhere near done.. but I am tired. I’ll roll over today’s incomplete stuff over to tomorrow. Goodbye for now.
Reply 4
Original post by Plagioclase
Good luck! You will get through it. Looking forward to the updates :smile:

thank you for the support!
Reply 5
When do you go back to college? I remember when I took an arty A-level, summer work took me for ages. Well done for today though! 2 1/2 out of 4 isn't bad. Better than I could do. I'm so easily distracted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
11/09/2017

I am up fairly early bc I start college tomorrow and have a lot to get through before then.. let's hope the exhaustion doesn't catch up to me.

Plans

- Annotation (from yesterday)
- Research (from yesterday)

- Statement of intent for my second shoot
- Editing for my second shoot
- Annotation for my second shoot
- Print, and layout all work
Original post by Anon_98
Hello. So I’m Anon, and this is my final ever study blog. I’m creating one bc I really think it’ll be beneficial and give me the motivation I require to start my new academic year in the right way. I was quite honestly absolutely dreading doing yet, another year of A levels not to mention I’m rather fed up of seeing myself in this sub-forum but I’m now sort of looking forward to it and I truly hope this feeling lasts.

So in this thread I’ll be documenting mainly my day at college, assignments, and just revision I have to do really.

Not sure how often I’ll manage to post, but hopefully at least twice a week.

Haven’t been very good at committing myself to these things in the past, but determined not to abandon this one.

Thank you for reading.

Good luck! What A-levels are you taking this year? :h:
Reply 8
Update for 11/09/2017

08:16 Still in bed so I’m going to try and get to the bathroom as soon as possible.. I’ll get some breakfast too then begin everything.

10:17 I’ve been continuing with yesterday’s annotations and they’re taking me absolutely ages. I think the most time consuming part is the fact I have to screenshot and crop every single step of every single edit for 21 edits then only after that can I annotate all the steps. I’m like.. ¼ of the way through this task but I have to stop now bc I have a driving lesson soon and need to get ready. I’ll get back to it once I return.

13:52 Driving was okay. Quite annoyed as I’ve only just got back home - had to go and purchase some printer ink for later since I’d run out. Also had to do some food shopping which was very longg… but I’m back now so here we go.

17:26 Oh gosh. So I’m currently 50% through task 1. And about 50% through task 2. I alternated on tasks an hr/so ago bc I was losing focus. But I still haven’t touched tasks 3, 4, 5 or 6 and I’m getting incredibly stressed out and overwhelmed. I am so stressed. I really just want a nap right now. I also need to get some dinner, I should probably eat something really quickly then get back to work. Not going to spend any longer than half an hour though.

19:54 why am I like this.

20:09 Just finished yesterday’s research (task 2) and slightly relieved. I’ve researched 5 photographers and I hope that’s enough. I’m printing, cutting and sticking as I go along bc I thought it’d be easier but it’s taking super long omg. I’m going to take a break then continue.

21:14 my break lasted too long.

21:39 If I’m not the definition of great time management, I don’t know what is.

01:07 Hi guys, still on tasks 1 + 6.

I didn’t end up logging the rest, but I eventually gave up and went to bed at around 2:30am.
Reply 9
12/09/2017

So today was my first day back.

I had photography in the morning which I was very anxious about attending since I hadn’t completed my work for the deadline. It consisted of my tutor simply discussing regulations for around 2 hours therefore we didn’t get round to doing anything at all. However, after the talk was over I asked to speak to him and he generously gave me an additional extension for everything therefore I am now less stressed and immensely grateful. That was the only class I had today so my day was fairly chill.

I am now at home, and although I could continue with my photography cw and get it out of the way, my literature work is a new priority. I had 8 weeks to start my draft and I foolishly didn't do it and the deadline is tomorrow. So I guess I’ve the rest of this evening. It’s meant to be 2000-3000 words long, but I’m aiming for around 1000 and hoping that’ll suffice.

Plans:

- lit essay.
Reply 10
Update for 12/09/2017

18:07 - I honestly really need to nap before I start this essay so that's what I'm going to do.

19:57 - I've just woken up and i regret going to bed, so tired n groggy.

20:38 - got myself a drink, pumped and ready to be productive.

22:27 - It's going okay so far - Taking a break bc I need to re-focus.

23:55 - Why do my breaks always extend themselves. - Shall get back to work now.

01:15 - Doneeeeeeeee. So my conclusion is pretty crap but I've finished it so yay. Just over 900 words and I'm now tired. 4 hours of sleep should be fun. Goodnight.
Reply 11
13/09/2017

School was fine. - I had 2 ish free periods and both were used productively so that was cool. I've decided that this year I will spend all of my afterschool evenings from september actually doing work bc I'll thank myself for the consistency later. Doesn't have to be intense, just has to be progress.

Plans:

- Print out all titles for sketchbook.
- Do one A5 art study.
- Write my statement of intent for Art.
- Continue annotations for photography
Original post by Anon_98
13/09/2017

School was fine. - I had 2 ish free periods and both were used productively so that was cool. I've decided that this year I will spend all of my afterschool evenings from september actually doing work bc I'll thank myself for the consistency later. Doesn't have to be intense, just has to be progress.

Plans:

- Print out all titles for sketchbook.
- Do one A5 art study.
- Write my statement of intent for Art.
- Continue annotations for photography

NONNY! are you still doing a levels? o.O
Subbing :smile: you can do this!!
Reply 14
15/09/2017

I think the most important thing about having a few rough days is to not let it permanently demotivate you.

Plans (weekend):

- Copy up class notes from english
- Shakespeare homework
- Do as much photography coursework before monday
- Do art research
- Do a 2nd draft for english cw.
- Purchase revision guides.
- Start personal statement
Original post by Anon_98
15/09/2017

I think the most important thing about having a few rough days is to not let it permanently demotivate you.

Plans (weekend):

- Copy up class notes from english
- Shakespeare homework
- Do as much photography coursework before monday
- Do art research
- Do a 2nd draft for english cw.
- Purchase revision guides.
- Start personal statement

Subbing :yeah:
[scrollr]:woo:[/scrollr]
[scroll]:rave: Go Anon! :rave:[/scroll]
[scrollr]:party: U got this! :party:[/scrollr]
[scroll]:woo:[/scroll]
Reply 16
First weekend update (fri) - 15/09/2017

15:03 - So I need to wash my hair + get into something comfy then I'll start my work.

22:35 - I have completed tasks 1 + 2 this evening, so bedtime. Shakespeare was increasingly boring and has drained me.

Second weekend update (sat) - 16/09/2017

12:39 - Just woke up.. what an extensive lie-in. Really wish I remembered to set an alarm.

13:21 - So just received another call for an interview and the guy talking to me was being so so awkward for no reason. Quite literally the most awkward 2 minute phone call I've ever had hahaha. Completely forgot I had applied to this place though so yay.

17:23 - I've been doing photography stuff all afternoon but unfortunately it's been all over the place and not very efficient so I'll postpone it for later. I have just ordered 5 literature revision guides + books though so I'll be able to collect them from Waterstones on Monday.

19:32 - Finished my 2nd draft for English and emailed my tutor the document so that's task 5 done and hopefully she'll get back to me soon. Going for a break now.

20:55 - Had my break but I really don't feel good to be honest. I'm going to bed.

Final weekend update (sun) - 17/09/2017

08:01 - Morning.

10:10 - Just finished my Art research.

12:19 - Have written my personal statement draft and it has just fuelled my love for a course which I didn't even know I had. I'm so glad that I've finally found something that I actually like and I hope it stays this way, I'll hand it in to my personal tutor sometime this coming week.

21:03 - Did as much photography as I could this evening but a bit disappointed I haven't finished it. My lengthened deadline isn't for a while though so I will continue with it throughout the week as I want to get an early night today. I guess that means I've more/less completed everything on my to-do list. Go me.
Original post by Anon_98
First weekend update (fri) - 15/09/2017

15:03 - So I need to wash my hair + get into something comfy then I'll start my work.

22:35 - I have completed tasks 1 + 2 this evening, so bedtime. Shakespeare was increasingly boring and has drained me.

Second weekend update (sat) - 16/09/2017

12:39 - Just woke up.. what an extensive lie-in. Really wish I remembered to set an alarm.

13:21 - So just received another call for an interview and the guy talking to me was being so so awkward for no reason. Quite literally the most awkward 2 minute phone call I've ever had hahaha. Completely forgot I had applied to this place though so yay.

17:23 - I've been doing photography stuff all afternoon but unfortunately it's been all over the place and not very efficient so I'll postpone it for later. I have just ordered 5 literature revision guides + books though so I'll be able to collect them from Waterstones on Monday.

19:32 - Finished my 2nd draft for English and emailed my tutor the document so that's task 5 done and hopefully she'll get back to me soon. Going for a break now.

20:55 - Had my break but I really don't feel good to be honest. I'm going to bed.

Final weekend update (sun) - 17/09/2017

08:01 - Morning.

10:10 - Just finished my Art research.

12:19 - Have written my personal statement draft and it has just fuelled my love for a course which I didn't even know I had. I'm so glad that I've finally found something that I actually like and I hope it stays this way, I'll hand it in to my personal tutor sometime this coming week.

21:03 - Did as much photography as I could this evening but a bit disappointed I haven't finished it. My lengthened deadline isn't for a while though so I will continue with it throughout the week as I want to get an early night today. I guess that means I've more/less completed everything on my to-do list. Go me.

Much love Anon!
Proud of you! :hugs: You've got so much done :ahee:
all the best with your application :cube:
You've done a lot! What course is it? Don't have to say, but so glad you've found something you want! It's such a nice feeling
Reply 19
18/09/2017

School was fun and I really enjoyed it. I had Art in the morning which comprised of many group sessions, then a little bit later in the afternoon I had photography class. At the end of the lesson, I presented my incomplete sketchbook to my tutor to make sure I am on the right track and he was really nice about it and gave me tips on how to move forward with the tasks I haven't done yet which has helped a huge amount. He even unnecessarily offered to purchase my next and future sketchbooks for me since my current one is almost finished and I don't even know what I did to deserve such overly kind treatment.

Managed to go to Waterstones afterwards but the annoying thing was how only 1 of my 5 books got delivered, so it seems like I'll have to revisit all throughout this week. Regardless, the feel of new penguin books make me so happy and I am super excited to start reading King Lear.

Plans:

I have no set plans today bc I'm not feeling well and don't want to escalate it therefore there will be no update. If I take the day off today, it'll mean I can work at my best tomorrow. Despite this, I'll still be doing light sketchbook work and I'll try and make a start on reading the play too.. it'll all be extremely minimal stuff and so not worth writing about. Until tomorrow, goodnight.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending