The Student Room Group

A levels

Hiii,
I'm currently in year 11 choosing A Levels shortly, I want to study law when I'm older. Which A levels will be preferably good to help me become a solicitor? Thanks :smile:)
Original post by bdemirhan
Hiii,
I'm currently in year 11 choosing A Levels shortly, I want to study law when I'm older. Which A levels will be preferably good to help me become a solicitor? Thanks :smile:)

If you're going to study at a Russell group university then you'll want at least two facilitating subjects and as you are applying to law you will want those subjects to be essay based so i'd recommend english literature and history and for a third subject you could do maths, a science or another essay based subject like psychology or economics.
Reply 2
Original post by Charliewiz
If you're going to study at a Russell group university then you'll want at least two facilitating subjects and as you are applying to law you will want those subjects to be essay based so i'd recommend english literature and history and for a third subject you could do maths, a science or another essay based subject like psychology or economics.

Thank you so much for your reply. :smile:)
Reply 3
If you want to do law as a career/course option then I would actually recommend doing A-level Sociology, Politics cause trust me it will link in with life and law. Your 3rd subject I would say go for something that you enjoy because during college you easily get stressed so if you have a favorite subject that you enjoy then it'll make you excited and happy.
Another advice is that try looking at what universities prefer. By this I mean go on different universities sites and look for your course and see what they are looking for.
Good luck!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Charliewiz

This.

Original post by MrsSasuNaru
If you want to do law as a career/course option then I would actually recommend doing A-level Sociology, Politics cause trust me it will link in with life and law. Your 3rd subject I would say go for something that you enjoy because during college you easily get stressed so if you have a favorite subject that you enjoy then it'll make you excited and happy.
Another advice is that try looking at what universities prefer. By this I mean go on different universities sites and look for your course and see what they are looking for.
Good luck!

Not this (although sociology and politics could be 3rd a-level options)
Reply 5
Hiii,

I would recommend Religious Studies (also known as Philosophy & Ethics), Economics and I guess Law (if your school offers).

Also recommend Sociology, psychology and I guess history?
Hiii,

For law, it doesn't really matter what subjects you take as long as one of them is essay-based and/or facilitating. I'm going to take maths, chemistry and english language at a level with the goal of also reading law at uni :h:
Tbh, all the unis want is for you to do super well and get good grades to meet their entry requirements lol :tongue:
There are no subject requirements, outside of taking an academically demanding course of study. People successfully apply with both STEM subjects and essay subjects. However they normally prefer traditionally academic courses, and I would strongly recommend not taking more than one applied/vocational/creative arts A-level, or similar which is not primarily assessed by written exam.

History is often considered one of the best preparations in terms of analytical essay writing, but is not required by any means. Taking all STEM subjects would also be fine, as above, although you may find it a little more challenging to adjust to the different style of assessment at the very start - but I've not seen any data suggesting students taking STEM subjects do any worse overall in their degree classifications.

The most important thing is to take the three subjects you will do best in - these are often the ones you enjoy the most as well. Apart from avoiding taking multiple creative arts or vocational/applied A-levels then any courses will be suitable.
I want to do the same and I'm doing English lit, French and history x
Essay based subjects are good for studying law; history, RS, English lit, etc. I'm still considering studying law at uni (though my main aspiration is to become a journalist) and my A-Levels are history, French & psychology. Make sure you enjoy the subjects - that way, you're more likely to do well. Also, don't focus too much on choosing your A-Levels at the moment, you have your GCSEs to focus on! Plus, the results of your exams will help you to make your final decision. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by MrsSasuNaru
Good luck!

Thank you :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by zq01
Not this (although sociology and politics could be 3rd a-level options)

Thank you for your reply! :smile:)
Reply 12
Original post by aish30
I would recommend Religious Studies (also known as Philosophy & Ethics), Economics and I guess Law (if your school offers).

Also recommend Sociology, psychology and I guess history?

Thanks for replying! :smile:)
Reply 13
Original post by Batgirl98
For law, it doesn't really matter what subjects you take as long as one of them is essay-based and/or facilitating. I'm going to take maths, chemistry and english language at a level with the goal of also reading law at uni :h:
Tbh, all the unis want is for you to do super well and get good grades to meet their entry requirements lol :tongue:

Reply 14
Original post by artful_lounger
There are no subject requirements, outside of taking an academically demanding course of study. People successfully apply with both STEM subjects and essay subjects. However they normally prefer traditionally academic courses, and I would strongly recommend not taking more than one applied/vocational/creative arts A-level, or similar which is not primarily assessed by written exam.

History is often considered one of the best preparations in terms of analytical essay writing, but is not required by any means. Taking all STEM subjects would also be fine, as above, although you may find it a little more challenging to adjust to the different style of assessment at the very start - but I've not seen any data suggesting students taking STEM subjects do any worse overall in their degree classifications.

The most important thing is to take the three subjects you will do best in - these are often the ones you enjoy the most as well. Apart from avoiding taking multiple creative arts or vocational/applied A-levels then any courses will be suitable.

Thanks for replying! :smile:)
Reply 15
Original post by hollyoliviax
I want to do the same and I'm doing English lit, French and history x

That' a good combination, good luck with ur a levels! :smile:) xx
Reply 16
Original post by wastedcuriosity
Essay based subjects are good for studying law; history, RS, English lit, etc. I'm still considering studying law at uni (though my main aspiration is to become a journalist) and my A-Levels are history, French & psychology. Make sure you enjoy the subjects - that way, you're more likely to do well. Also, don't focus too much on choosing your A-Levels at the moment, you have your GCSEs to focus on! Plus, the results of your exams will help you to make your final decision. :smile:

Ahh okay, thanks for replying! :smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest