The Student Room Group

Job advice disability

My parents aren't paying their portion of maintenance loan (abusive past etc etc) so I have to work to earn about 2000 pounds at uni. I've heard getting PIP/ESA whilst at uni is nigh on impossible and that they do everything in their power to deny you money. Living in an LGBT shelter is, of course, impractical (1hr+ commute w/o a car) not to mention difficult to obtain the medical care I would need.

My question is what are the best entry-level positions for disabled people with only volunteer experience? I've applied for many jobs thus far, still not a week yet so still waiting for most. I'm not disclosing my disability on any applications because I know the potential for being discriminated against. How do jobs/management react to asking for adjustments upon starting work - do they treat this as lying to them and fire you? Is it possible to work retail 10 hours a week, do uni work at an RG AND have a disability that affects your energy levels? How can I balance all of these without one aspect (money/grades/mental health) suffering as a result?

Apologies for all the questions - navigating the world of work as an LGBT disabled person with limited experience is uh tough, to say the least xD
Original post by auburnstar
My parents aren't paying their portion of maintenance loan (abusive past etc etc) so I have to work to earn about 2000 pounds at uni. I've heard getting PIP/ESA whilst at uni is nigh on impossible and that they do everything in their power to deny you money. Living in an LGBT shelter is, of course, impractical (1hr+ commute w/o a car) not to mention difficult to obtain the medical care I would need.

My question is what are the best entry-level positions for disabled people with only volunteer experience? I've applied for many jobs thus far, still not a week yet so still waiting for most. I'm not disclosing my disability on any applications because I know the potential for being discriminated against. How do jobs/management react to asking for adjustments upon starting work - do they treat this as lying to them and fire you? Is it possible to work retail 10 hours a week, do uni work at an RG AND have a disability that affects your energy levels? How can I balance all of these without one aspect (money/grades/mental health) suffering as a result?

Apologies for all the questions - navigating the world of work as an LGBT disabled person with limited experience is uh tough, to say the least xD

You could try and get a job in your unis students union that way you really need not worry about discrimination and they can be quite flexible hours usually. If your parents have been abusive, does that mean you're no longer in contact with them? If so you might be able to claim estrangement under student finance rules
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
You could try and get a job in your unis students union that way you really need not worry about discrimination and they can be quite flexible hours usually. If your parents have been abusive, does that mean you're no longer in contact with them? If so you might be able to claim estrangement under student finance rules

That's a good idea! I've heard good things about student union work from friends etc. I'll see what they have and for how long once I enroll. :smile:

Once I'm at uni, I'm going to try and contact SFE re estrangement. I'm going to get with the counseling service and tell counselors etc about my situation as it's such a case-by-case thing. I've heard it's a tough process but would certainly release a lot of burden from me.
That's a good idea! I've heard good things about student union work from friends etc. I'll see what they have and for how long once I enroll. :smile:

Once I'm at uni, I'm going to try and contact SFE re estrangement. I'm going to get with the counseling service and tell counselors etc about my situation as it's such a case-by-case thing. I've heard it's a tough process but would certainly release a lot of burden from me.

Estrangement can be tricky to get but it would be worth it to have less financial stress. This website is made by a charity to help estranged people, their guide should help you get some evidence sorted
http://standalone.org.uk/guides/student-guide/#supporting-statements
Not much advice per se but huge hugs :jumphug:

One thing I will say is that I have deliberately chosen to work in mental health, on the basis that I should be able to disclose my condition without fear of repercussions :colondollar: So looking at entry-level positions for, say, mental health charities etc. might be an option...
Reply 5
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Not much advice per se but huge hugs :jumphug:

One thing I will say is that I have deliberately chosen to work in mental health, on the basis that I should be able to disclose my condition without fear of repercussions :colondollar: So looking at entry-level positions for, say, mental health charities etc. might be an option...

:hugs:

I've looked at some of the mental health charities etc but the ones near where I am don't have any vacancies :frown: Still looking though, sending emails and phoning...
:hugs:

I've looked at some of the mental health charities etc but the ones near where I am don't have any vacancies :frown: Still looking though, sending emails and phoning...

Ah that's a shame :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending