The Student Room Group

Bad psychology teacher

It's only just been the first week of my a level options. I am only doing 3 subjects and psychology is definitely the one I enjoy the least, and this is largely because of my teacher. I have 2 teachers for psychology, one of them is absolutely brilliant and I enjoyed his lesson. The other one I've had 2 times this week and the lessons were so incredibly boring. She just read things out from a textbook and gave us loads of work to do independently. She's also really not somebody that's easy to talk to :/

So what should I do? We are doing research methods with the teacher that doesn't really teach us anything and research methods are so boring. With the other teacher we are doing social influence which is really interesting. I do enjoy psychology with one teacher but not with the other? Any advice on what I can do? Her lessons are so draining, like she can't even be bothered to be there.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Bump
Original post by Kat712
It's only just been the first week of my a level options. I am only doing 3 subjects and psychology is definitely the one I enjoy the least, and this is largely because of my teacher. I have 2 teachers for psychology, one of them is absolutely brilliant and I enjoyed his lesson. The other one I've had 2 times this week and the lessons were so incredibly boring. She just read things out from a textbook and gave us loads of work to do independently. She's also really not somebody that's easy to talk to :/

So what should I do? We are doing research methods with the teacher that doesn't really teach us anything and research methods are so boring. With the other teacher we are doing social influence which is really interesting. I do enjoy psychology with one teacher but not with the other? Any advice on what I can do? Her lessons are so draining, like she can't even be bothered to be there.

Same problem i have with my biology teacher, the advice I was given is that during your frees is to sit into another psychology class and take notes on the things the useless teacher of yours missed that's what I'm going to be doing it's actually a joke that at this stage of our education we have crap teachers
Original post by chris2791
Same problem i have with my biology teacher, the advice I was given is that during your frees is to sit into another psychology class and take notes on the things the useless teacher of yours missed that's what I'm going to be doing it's actually a joke that at this stage of our education we have crap teachers

Original post by Kat712

I'm afraid to say it doesn't get any better at university. You will have good lecturers and bad lecturers throughout education (including university). The bad lecturers have a talent of making some of the most interesting subjects less entertaining than watching paint dry. In these cases you will have to direct your own learning and seek out other learning resources to make up for poor teaching - so it looks like you will have to practice some of that during your A levels because of your teachers.

My advice to you would be to seek online resources such as revision websites, videos, lectures, and any textbooks associated with your exam board. It's not ideal, but sadly it is quite common.
Reply 4

It's actually so pathetic. Why can't we just have decent teachers? I have two timetable clashes as well with psychology (that useless teachers lesson) and my English lesson, so I'm just going to go to English as I actually learn things in English unlike psychology :/

I've already started using my frees to basically teach myself her half of the course, but it's so demotivating having to do it all by yourself. Good luck with biology!
Reply 5
Original post by Cubone-r
I'm afraid to say it doesn't get any better at university. You will have good lecturers and bad lecturers throughout education (including university). The bad lecturers have a talent of making some of the most interesting subjects less entertaining than watching paint dry. In these cases you will have to direct your own learning and seek out other learning resources to make up for poor teaching - so it looks like you will have to practice some of that during your A levels because of your teachers.

My advice to you would be to seek online resources such as revision websites, videos, lectures, and any textbooks associated with your exam board. It's not ideal, but sadly it is quite common.

Thank you for the advice. I've started to use my frees to make my own psychology notes from the textbook, but it's so irritating as this means I rarely get to use my frees for my other subjects. :/ I guess I'll just have to get used to using the textbook constantly and doing my own research based on the specification.
Original post by Kat712
It's actually so pathetic. Why can't we just have decent teachers? I have two timetable clashes as well with psychology (that useless teachers lesson) and my English lesson, so I'm just going to go to English as I actually learn things in English unlike psychology :/

I've already started using my frees to basically teach myself her half of the course, but it's so demotivating having to do it all by yourself. Good luck with biology!

I'm serious it really is demotivating I literally cried and broke down and wanted to drop biology which in turn lead to me wanting to drop my dream of medicine anyways best of luck !
Reply 7
I'm serious it really is demotivating I literally cried and broke down and wanted to drop biology which in turn lead to me wanting to drop my dream of medicine anyways best of luck !

It really sucks doesn't it. I was really looking forward to psychology until I realised that all she will do in her lessons is read from the textbook :frown: I hope you don't give up on your dream of medicine. I think that sadly we will just have to follow the specification and teach ourselves the subject. do you still enjoy the actual subject? I still enjoy parts of psychology which is why I haven't dropped it but I did consider this.
Reply 8
Just teach yourself, I did that in AS Bio + CS - ended up with an A in both.

The textbooks are 10x better than any teacher anyway imo, just throw a book at everyone and the government would save millions.
Unfortunately, there's nothing you really can do. I completely understand your pain though. In Year 8 and Year 9 I had an appalling maths teacher, who taught us nothing. This meant I was sitting at a D grade in Year 10, like everyone in my class, even though we were the highest set! It completely ruined maths for me, and I lost a lot of confidence.

At least with A-Levels there is a more independent side to it. As long as you have a textbook, you should be okay. I know it sucks, but at least you have 2 teachers, and the rest of your teachers are great :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Wikia
Just teach yourself, I did that in AS Bio + CS - ended up with an A in both.

The textbooks are 10x better than any teacher anyway imo, just throw a book at everyone and the government would save millions.

Yeah I'm just going to teach myself. Thanks for the reply
Reply 11
Original post by LlamaLikeEllie
Unfortunately, there's nothing you really can do. I completely understand your pain though. In Year 8 and Year 9 I had an appalling maths teacher, who taught us nothing. This meant I was sitting at a D grade in Year 10, like everyone in my class, even though we were the highest set! It completely ruined maths for me, and I lost a lot of confidence.

At least with A-Levels there is a more independent side to it. As long as you have a textbook, you should be okay. I know it sucks, but at least you have 2 teachers, and the rest of your teachers are great :smile:

Thank you! I had the same problem with maths as well. I guess im just going to learn from the textbook for the content she's supposed to cover and if I have any questions I'll go to the other psychology teacher. :smile:
Original post by Kat712
It really sucks doesn't it. I was really looking forward to psychology until I realised that all she will do in her lessons is read from the textbook :frown: I hope you don't give up on your dream of medicine. I think that sadly we will just have to follow the specification and teach ourselves the subject. do you still enjoy the actual subject? I still enjoy parts of psychology which is why I haven't dropped it but I did consider this.

Don't get me wrong I loved science and biology but the difference with alevel biology and any sciences of that you need to be taught the concept to understand for example a cell function and how to read cell electromicrographs and I'm new to alevels so it's a lot of extra stress on top of my other subjects

Quick Reply

Latest