The Student Room Group

I don't know what to do.

I have a friend that i consider very close and I meet up with her one to one sometimes and that's only because i intiate the conversation. We are in the same class at college and she never makes the effort to at least talk to me, I speak to her but i feel if she never is the intiator, its hard to keep going. She has a close longtime best friend which she's super close with. I once asked her if she wanted to go home the same way as me and she said "I don't know" I asked her a few more times and she kept saying " I don't know" Her close friend has made speeches like " You two are going same way home together" I found speech quite offensive because it made me feel belittled.. I just don't know whether to continue being friends with this girl or to cut it off. I am not close friends with her best friend. I love my friendship with her and i tell her everything but if someone is not reciprocating it's hard to remain friends with them.
I would like to know how you would deal with this situation.
Kind Regards.
I've been in this exact situation, but it's really hard to end the friendship. If you feel like you're not getting anywhere, though, it might be best to let things drift apart slowly - if she's not making the effort to reciprocate then this may even be what she wants too. These things happen and people grow apart all the time. Good luck with whatever you decide to do :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I've been in this exact situation, but it's really hard to end the friendship. If you feel like you're not getting anywhere, though, it might be best to let things drift apart slowly - if she's not making the effort to reciprocate then this may even be what she wants too. These things happen and people grow apart all the time. Good luck with whatever you decide to do :smile:

Hello, I don't want to end the friendship, but it just seems like she does not care whether she loses me or not. I feel that people who are close to me do not reciprocate effort whatsoever, why? What am i doing wrong? I am very sorry you were in the same exact situation as me.
Original post by S.Jama
Hello, I don't want to end the friendship, but it just seems like she does not care whether she loses me or not. I feel that people who are close to me do not reciprocate effort whatsoever, why? What am i doing wrong? I am very sorry you were in the same exact situation as me.

It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong - the problem seems to be with them. Don't worry about if you've done something to upset them, you'll just end up trying too hard, and at the end of the day it's not worth your hassle. If you don't want to end it with her, I would say ask her if there's something wrong (in a nice way, just to find out why she's being so distant with you). If she's not forthcoming, then remind yourself that it's not your fault and you've tried, and maybe take a step back while still being friends with her. I ended up just initiating conversations less and found that my friend eventually started to reciprocate more :smile:
Reply 4
Dont be with people who dont care about you , it will only hurt you even more in the long term trust me
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong - the problem seems to be with them. Don't worry about if you've done something to upset them, you'll just end up trying too hard, and at the end of the day it's not worth your hassle. If you don't want to end it with her, I would say ask her if there's something wrong (in a nice way, just to find out why she's being so distant with you). If she's not forthcoming, then remind yourself that it's not your fault and you've tried, and maybe take a step back while still being friends with her. I ended up just initiating conversations less and found that my friend eventually started to reciprocate more :smile:

It is so hard.. I just wish she cared☹ I will try but if i distance myself from her I'll miss her more. It's not just like that with her but with even cousins aswell.
Kind Regards.
Reply 6
Original post by qam
Dont be with people who dont care about you , it will only hurt you even more in the long term trust me

What if i like their friendship?
Sometimes you have to give up on someone - not because you don't care, but because they don't. I learnt that the hard way; I thought I really, really liked this girl one time and we would talk all the time but I soon started to realise that her replies were always delayed and I was mainly the one who triggered the conversation. I stopped texting her first to find out whether she would go out of her way to text me first. it took her a very long time but she did at the end. yr 11 finished and I started to put in the same amount of effort as she did. Time went by and at the end It didn't work out. Moral of the story is that Sometimes you have to give up on someone - not because you don't care, but because they don't
Sometimes things just aren't meant to be. It's glaringly obvious that she doesn't care about you, and that really sucks, but there's not really anything you can do. All that's going to happen is you're going to exhaust yourself even more, and start to doubt yourself more and more. Some people are just like this, you can't change them, so you have to drop them, for your own sake. It's already pretty clear from your posts that it's starting to take its toll and you're blaming yourself. You need to get away from this person, or you'll end up making yourself ill. Trust me, I've been there.

It's never fun to end a friendship. You're going to be sad, and you're going to grieve - that's just biology. But grief is temporary, you move on. A toxic friendship will just keep hurting you and hurting you until you're forced to break it off anyway. Think of it like this - in the olden days, when someone got an infected wound, they had to cut the limb off to save the person's life.

Your friendship with this person is infected, it's time to let it go.

Sorry if this is harsh, but this kind of thing is never not-harsh. I wish someone had told me this when I was in a similar situation.

Good luck with whatever happens though.
Reply 9
Original post by S.Jama
What if i like their friendship?

a similar situation happened to me a few months ago , and honestly you care much more in the frienship then they care , if anything , you dont mean a lot to them at all and they probably wouldnt care if you had a friendship or not
Reply 10
Original post by BadAtBiology
Sometimes things just aren't meant to be. It's glaringly obvious that she doesn't care about you, and that really sucks, but there's not really anything you can do. All that's going to happen is you're going to exhaust yourself even more, and start to doubt yourself more and more. Some people are just like this, you can't change them, so you have to drop them, for your own sake. It's already pretty clear from your posts that it's starting to take its toll and you're blaming yourself. You need to get away from this person, or you'll end up making yourself ill. Trust me, I've been there.

It's never fun to end a friendship. You're going to be sad, and you're going to grieve - that's just biology. But grief is temporary, you move on. A toxic friendship will just keep hurting you and hurting you until you're forced to break it off anyway. Think of it like this - in the olden days, when someone got an infected wound, they had to cut the limb off to save the person's life.

Your friendship with this person is infected, it's time to let it go.

Sorry if this is harsh, but this kind of thing is never not-harsh. I wish someone had told me this when I was in a similar situation.

Good luck with whatever happens though.

Hi, listen you are not harsh whatsoever. I love your advice and thank you. 💗
Why do they bother with me if they truly don't care? I'm sorry the same situation as happened to you. I hope you're surrounded by people who truly care about you. Feel free to message me.
Kind Regards.
Reply 11
Original post by qam
a similar situation happened to me a few months ago , and honestly you care much more in the frienship then they care , if anything , you dont mean a lot to them at all and they probably wouldnt care if you had a friendship or not

Basically. I'm sorry that has happened to you.
Kind Regards.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending