The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Dundee
academics - 60% and UKCAT - 40% are used to select for interview.
~1600 apply
~600 interviewed selected for using academic and UKCAT
~160 receive offers. Offers made are based SOLEY on the interview. The academic and UKCAT are only used to give interviews but once you've been interviewed the interview alone determines whether you get an offer or not.
Do you have stats for Home-EU students vs. international students?

grad vs. school leavers?

Stats for applicants from Scotland vs. Rest of the students considered home?
Reply 3
Haven't researched that I found out the above statistics from the open day. Email the Dundee head of admissions: [email protected]
Reply 4
you're welcome btw
sure.. will send an email

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Puppo
Dundee
academics - 60% and UKCAT - 40% are used to select for interview.
~1600 apply
~600 interviewed selected for using academic and UKCAT
~160 receive offers. Offers made are based SOLEY on the interview. The academic and UKCAT are only used to give interviews but once you've been interviewed the interview alone determines whether you get an offer or not.

what do they look at for 60% academics? do they rank gcses? go quite low 3A*s, 7As, B
Reply 7
Original post by 00sevenmagic
what do they look at for 60% academics? do they rank gcses? go quite low 3A*s, 7As, B

60% academics is on A levels or highers
are grads allowed to send in an extra reference?
Reply 9
Hey can anyone help me with considering applying to dundee

I think i’ve got a pretty strong personal statement
5 A’s at higher
predicted 4A’s advanced higher
but ukcat didn’t go too well, avg 626 Band3

Do i stand a chance of getting interview?
Reply 10
Hullo all :smile:

Applying to Dundee as a Scottish grad :biggrin: I have 1st class degree and a 708 UKCAT score. Dundee is my first choice, so very much hoping I can get an interview.
Hello all! - Just wanted to give you my experiences as a medical student at Dundee. Dundee is a small, modern and cohesive medical school that prides itself in being friendly while still making you an excellent doctor. I've now enter my forth year at Dundee and will be undertaking a research year, and I honestly could not have made a better decision in coming to Dundee.

Why Dundee?

Patient contact from basically the first week of first year:
At the start of first year, you will be given a patient which you will follow for the next three years of your undergraduate medical course. This is a fantastic opportunity to see past all the medicine, to the people you actually will be treating in the future.
Additionally, after your introductory principals block students are free to go on the wards to clerk patients whenever they like - this is an invaluable teaching resource. As part of this, you will be required to submit various clerkings and case discussion throughout the year for assessment. Further, Students will avail of timetabled ward sessions with hospital consultants as you rotate through each of the system blocks and you will have a longitudinal GP tutor program who will see you over the first three years.

Full Body Thiel Cadavers

Most medical schools pride themselves in using full body dissection. Here at Dundee, we go a step further. We pride ourselves in offering full body thiel cadavers, and we are the only medical school in the UK to use this method. These are soft fixed cadavers, rather than the ridged formalin fixed cadavers. The soft fixation has an advantage over its ridged predecessors as they can be used as excellent models for practising medical techniques. In first year, you will practice intubation and ventilation on cadavers as you rotate through your respiratory and cardio block

Clinical Skills

The clinical skills centre at the hospital teaches you basic examination, communication skills and other "doctory things". This is all taught by NHS clinicians from each of the respective system blocks. Additionally the centre will bring in actors who simulate patients or even real patients for you to actually see the clinical signs up close and personal! Twice a year you will be recorded as part of your communication skills training, which allows you to really see how you come across and what you can do to improve.

New Refurbishment

The medical school has recently undergone a complete refurbishment, with two new lecture theatres opened in the last four years. The medical school facilities include a hospital campus library, two lecture theatres, multiple teaching rooms, a student shop and cafe. Also, you have all the facilities of the hospital itself to use! Plus, you will also have full access to the actually university campus facilities

Medblogs

Dundee uses an excellent online platform, which again has been newly updated, to store all lectures once taught, provide formative assessment and all material required for each respective system block. This is a brilliant resource that you can use to refer back at exam time, or even in later years!

Opportunities

The medical school has a number of programs which allow students to explore research, health care improvement and medical education which are often accompanied by scholarships. This is absolutely brilliant as it allows students to gain publications and attend conferences.

I could really write many more reasons why Dundee is excellent, so if you have any questions at all please don't hesitate to contact me
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by 00sevenmagic

I think my previous post was wrong.
On the Dundee website it says:
Academic
All applicants must offer our minimum academic requirements but those with evidence of higher academic achievements will be rated more highly. We consider the primary qualification (A levels, Highers, Degree class etc) and also the relevant previous stage (GCSE, Standard Grade/National 5, School exit exams etc. as appropriate). So past achievements are relevant as are exceptional achievements such as 6 Highers A grades in one sitting, Masters degrees, PhD etc. The high level of competition means the minimum qualifications will rarely secure an interview without an exceptional UKCA
sent in my application today:

685 band 3, 2.1 Genetics Glasgow, A-level: A - Punjabi, Adv higher: C - Biology. Highers: AAABBC. Studied abroad at UNCCH. DofE Silver and Gold. Weekend teacher for more than 2 years. Independent Research Project: Merit. Published a paper. Working independently on a much quicker blood screening test. Started a magazine at university. Board position for 2 years at university. Ex-interviewers say i have a 'great' personal statement. Respite care giver at local council for 6 months (training + about once a week)

Fingers crossed x
Original post by singhaman

685 band 3, 2.1 Genetics Glasgow, A-level: A - Punjabi, Adv higher: C - Biology. Highers: AAABBC. Studied abroad at UNCCH. DofE Silver and Gold. Weekend teacher for more than 2 years. Independent Research Project: Merit. Published a paper. Working independently on a much quicker blood screening test. Started a magazine at university. Board position for 2 years at university. Ex-interviewers say i have a 'great' personal statement. Respite care giver at local council for 6 months (training + about once a week)

Fingers crossed x

All the very best with your application!
Original post by singhaman

Fingers crossed x

All the best

Looks strong
Reply 16
think it'll have changed by then mate
I’ve applied here. RUK applicant with UKCAT of 673 Band 1 and GCSE’s of 8A*s, 1A and 1B. Predicted 3A*s at A-level. Do I stand any chance?
I applied a few days ago with 9A*s and 1A, 42 points predicted, and a ukcat of 650 band 2. Does my ukact ruin my application too much??
Original post by 7yearsbadluck
I applied a few days ago with 9A*s and 1A, 42 points predicted, and a ukcat of 650 band 2. Does my ukact ruin my application too much??

Seems like you'll have a pretty good chance of getting an interview. From there, it's a clean slate!

Good luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending