The Student Room Group

is psychology a worthless degree?

I've been interested in psychology since I was 12, now I'm 17. I want to study this next year but I hear how the. Job prospects are quite poor. I don't want to end up in a dead job that I hate so should I lean towards a business psychology degree to broaden my chances of a good job? Or is is quite possible to earn a good living by the psycholgy route?
Original post by zyiah
I've been interested in psychology since I was 12, now I'm 17. I want to study this next year but I hear how the. Job prospects are quite poor. I don't want to end up in a dead job that I hate so should I lean towards a business psychology degree to broaden my chances of a good job? Or is is quite possible to earn a good living by the psycholgy route?

It's possible to have a career in Psychology but it helps to have a very firm idea in mind of what you want to do in Psychology and chase that goal.

The UK is currently short on Child Psychologists... might be a good look in for the future.

Psychology is highly competitive and has a high drop out rate. If it's your passion you should go for it. You have nothing to lose by trying.
Original post by zyiah

If you get a good grade then that is more important. On any degree you will acquire transferable skills, which employers will value.

Contact the uni and see what the data says for employment prospects from the course.

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/psychology
Reply 3
But would you think I'd have more chances aboard?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending