The Student Room Group

How do I pay my parents rent money?

I'm not in education atm and have decided to look for a job. How do I pay rent to my parents, do I just hand them the cash or transfer it in their bank accounts? I'll probably be on a low income, is council tax taken off automatically?
Also while looking for a job, I'm unemployed right? Do I have to pay council tax & rent while unemployed?
Reply 1
No good parent would take money from their child. OP, save and invest as much money as you can. If you don't figure out a way to make money in your sleep, you will work till you die.
Original post by dxmpls
I'm not in education atm and have decided to look for a job. How do I pay rent to my parents, do I just hand them the cash or transfer it in their bank accounts? I'll probably be on a low income, is council tax taken off automatically?
Also while looking for a job, I'm unemployed right? Do I have to pay council tax & rent while unemployed?

If you live with both parents then there is no additional council tax to pay. If they want you to pay rent then I would do it officially through a bank account.
Reply 3
Cash in hand so they dont get taxed

Original post by maha_90
No good parent would take money from their child. OP, save and invest as much money as you can. If you don't figure out a way to make money in your sleep, you will work till you die.

Well considering most parents are bad, it makes sense.
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
If you live with both parents then there is no additional council tax to pay. If they want you to pay rent then I would do it officially through a bank account.

I was told once I start a job I'll be liable for council tax
Original post by maha_90

Actually, parents wanting rent is a good thing (if the person is working).

It will set up the person for what life is like when living on their own, and have to pay their own rent. As long as what the parents charge is reasonable compared to what they earn, then it's a win win. The person gets set up for life on their own and the parents get a bit of extra cash.
Reply 6
Original post by maha_90

Hmm they haven't asked me to pay rent but i feel guilty using up all the hot water electricity etc :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by cc85734
Actually, parents wanting rent is a good thing (if the person is working).

It will set up the person for what life is like when living on their own, and have to pay their own rent. As long as what the parents charge is reasonable compared to what they earn, then it's a win win. The person gets set up for life on their own and the parents get a bit of extra cash.

I would rather my kids keep the money and invest it, then the money will earn money upon money (compounding) and they will never go poor. Live frugal and invest and you can own the world no doubt.
Original post by dxmpls
I was told once I start a job I'll be liable for council tax

No - once there are two people in a property then there's no additional charge.

https://www.gov.uk/council-tax/who-has-to-pay

If you live in a separate flat there would be.
There's no additional council tax due. It's paid per household and once there are two adults in the house you can add more with no change to the tax amount.

Just talk to your parents about what they want. They may have a preference or not want rent at all. If they don't want rent it would be nice to pick up some groceries for everyone sometimes or something.
Reply 10
Original post by maha_90
I would rather my kids keep the money and invest it, then the money will earn money upon money (compounding) and they will never go poor. Live frugal and invest and you can own the world no doubt.

And you'll have lived a frugal life in order to own meaningless things. On point of death, you'll realise you can't bring your belongings with you and that you wasted your life.
Reply 11
Original post by doodle_333
There's no additional council tax due. It's paid per household and once there are two adults in the house you can add more with no change to the tax amount.

Just talk to your parents about what they want. They may have a preference or not want rent at all. If they don't want rent it would be nice to pick up some groceries for everyone sometimes or something.

Cool thanks!
Reply 12
Original post by usualsuspects
And you'll have lived a frugal life in order to own meaningless things. On point of death, you'll realise you can't bring your belongings with you and that you wasted your life.

Who says that is wasting your life?

If you think the meaning of life is f**king *****es, getting cars and mansions you are truly wrong.
Reply 13
Original post by maha_90
Who says that is wasting your life?

If you think the meaning of life is f**king *****es, getting cars and mansions you are truly wrong.

I know what life should be about, and that's neither spending nor owning. But among the two, it's certainly more about having interesting experiences and a good lifestyle than a huge number to your name in a bank account (or in assets).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending