The Student Room Group

Official Music Applicants 2018 entry!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Em2122
Thank you that's really helpful 🙂 do you have any tips for interview preparation?

The best things you can do are know your sonata form inside-out and back-to-front (for the analysis test). I also recommend trying to read Nicholas Cook's short book Music. A Very Short Introduction (Oxford University Press. Think it was published around 1998). Don't worry if you don't understand the Cook book though - took me three goes :tongue:
Reply 21
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
The best things you can do are know your sonata form inside-out and back-to-front (for the analysis test). I also recommend trying to read Nicholas Cook's short book Music. A Very Short Introduction (Oxford University Press. Think it was published around 1998). Don't worry if you don't understand the Cook book though - took me three goes :tongue:

Great! Thank you 🙂
Just realised I never actually replied to this thread and I probably should now...

Name: auburnstar
Current course: Music
Grades: A*AAA achieved (English Lit, Music, French, Spanish)
Applying to: Oxford (reapplicant), St Johns college. I applied to Oxford, Durham, Birmingham, KCL and Southampton last year so can offer advice with any of these.
Has anyone heard back from their unis yet?
I've had interview invitations from Manchester, Leeds and Oxford (St.Peter's) and an unconditional offer from Birmingham. Yet to hear from Durham!
I think the choice will ultimately be between Birmingham and Durham (if I get an offer). Whilst Birmingham had amazing facilities, a lovely campus and a great location, Durham's reputation is amazing and I would possibly work harder there. I'm feeling quite torn, does anyone have any advice or there own view on those universities if they have applied to them?
Original post by RoseEleanor
Has anyone heard back from their unis yet?
I've had interview invitations from Manchester, Leeds and Oxford (St.Peter's) and an unconditional offer from Birmingham. Yet to hear from Durham!
I think the choice will ultimately be between Birmingham and Durham (if I get an offer). Whilst Birmingham had amazing facilities, a lovely campus and a great location, Durham's reputation is amazing and I would possibly work harder there. I'm feeling quite torn, does anyone have any advice or there own view on those universities if they have applied to them?

Pros and cons of Birmingham/Durham at least to my experience:

Pros of Birmingham:
- Amazing facilities, and plenty of them (includes IT facilities)
- Good location, convenient for London and travel to most other places; 'city' atmosphere
- Very good performance links, they have connections with the Birmingham Conservatoire and you get money towards instrumental lessons.
- Good social side.
- They have a really great art gallery.

Cons of Birmingham:
- Larger campus with less individual support -- can feel more 'part of a crowd'.
- Mixed reviews on the course (this is just from friends who have gone there, I wouldn't let this put you off)
- City element can be a downside for some

Pros of Durham:
- Lovely location, compact
- Warm friendly atmosphere
- Academically strong, regularly #1/2 for music in the UK (you are more 'pushed' academically)
- Feel more part of a smaller community, only 60-70 students and more seminar teaching

Cons of Durham:
- Location is inconvenient for south of the UK, train tickets are expensive (+ its cold)
- Inadequate facilities
- Minimal support towards instrumental tuition (8hrs covered *per academic year*)
(edited 6 years ago)
Name-Isaac B
Predicted Grades -ABB (Music, English Lit, Classics)
Courses Applied to (on oboe)
Royal Northern
Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
RWCMD
RCM
Trinity
GSMD
Original post by auburnstar
Pros and cons of Birmingham/Durham at least to my experience:

Pros of Birmingham:
- Amazing facilities, and plenty of them (includes IT facilities)
- Good location, convenient for London and travel to most other places; 'city' atmosphere
- Very good performance links, they have connections with the Birmingham Conservatoire and you get money towards instrumental lessons.
- Good social side.
- They have a really great art gallery.

Cons of Birmingham:
- Larger campus with less individual support -- can feel more 'part of a crowd'.
- Mixed reviews on the course (this is just from friends who have gone there, I wouldn't let this put you off)
- City element can be a downside for some

Pros of Durham:
- Lovely location, compact
- Warm friendly atmosphere
- Academically strong, regularly #1/2 for music in the UK (you are more 'pushed' academically)
- Feel more part of a smaller community, only 60-70 students and more seminar teaching

Cons of Durham:
- Location is inconvenient for south of the UK, train tickets are expensive (+ its cold)
- Inadequate facilities
- Minimal support towards instrumental tuition (8hrs covered *per academic year*)

Thanks for the advice! What did your friends not like about Birmingham?
Original post by RoseEleanor
Thanks for the advice! What did your friends not like about Birmingham?

They thought the teaching was too impersonal and the course didn't add up to all it claimed to be on the website. BUT that is just their perspective and a couple peoples experiences aren't going to be representative of everyone. :smile: It's just a sentiment that I and my piano teacher at school noticed from a small group of people who were studying/had studied there.
Thoughts I might as well post here :tongue:

Hi, I'm Petros and I'm from London.
I'm currently doing a UAL Level 3 Extended Diploma in Music Performance and Production and I'm predicted DDD (D*'s are not on offer).
I'm looking to study Commercial Music at Bath Spa (current first choice), Music Performance and Production at LCCM (Current second choice) or Songwriting and Production at Hertfordshire (current third choice). I'm still deciding my final two choices.
Original post by PetrosAC
Thoughts I might as well post here :tongue:

Hi, I'm Petros and I'm from London.
I'm currently doing a UAL Level 3 Extended Diploma in Music Performance and Production and I'm predicted DDD (D*'s are not on offer).
I'm looking to study Commercial Music at Bath Spa (current first choice), Music Performance and Production at LCCM (Current second choice) or Songwriting and Production at Hertfordshire (current third choice). I'm still deciding my final two choices.
Good luck buddy.:thumbsup:
Original post by 04MR17
Good luck buddy.:thumbsup:

Cheers mate :smile: Just need to get that PS finalised and sent off :tongue:
Cheers mate :smile: Just need to get that PS finalised and sent off :tongue:
You might be passed this stage by now, but if you're not, some of these may give you inspiration:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Category:Music_Personal_Statements

Meant to put this in the OP:emo:
Original post by 04MR17
You might be passed this stage by now, but if you're not, some of these may give you inspiration:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Category:Music_Personal_Statements

Meant to put this in the OP:emo:

I did have a look earlier, but thank you :smile: My PS is fully drafted, I'm just waiting on suggestions from my tutor and TSR people and then I'll do a final draft and submit my application (once I work out my other two options!)
I did have a look earlier, but thank you :smile: My PS is fully drafted, I'm just waiting on suggestions from my tutor and TSR people and then I'll do a final draft and submit my application (once I work out my other two options!)
:yy: I know most of the PS crew fairly well. Good people.:wink:
Hey, I’m Jess and I live around London. Thought I’d join the thread since I sent my UCAS off on Friday 😱I’m predicted AAB, and have applied for Music at Royal Holloway, Birmingham, Durham, Bristol, and Keele (purely because I’m terrified the higher ones won’t give me offers 😬).Does anyone know how long it usually takes for unis to respond?
Original post by Jessjadeanne
Hey, I’m Jess and I live around London. Thought I’d join the thread since I sent my UCAS off on Friday 😱I’m predicted AAB, and have applied for Music at Royal Holloway, Birmingham, Durham, Bristol, and Keele (purely because I’m terrified the higher ones won’t give me offers 😬).Does anyone know how long it usually takes for unis to respond?

Last year there was a very fast response from Birmingham (less than a week) and Durham I think was 3 weeks or so (with Southampton being I think a week and a half and KCL being 2 weeks).

I sent my app in October last year, but I assume it will be much the same regardless since music is such a small subject (the whole "you'll hear in late December/January" thing really only applies to popular subjects). Can't speak for Bristol, RH or Keele though. Best of luck!! :biggrin:
Original post by Em2122
Has anyone had any offers yet?

Guaranteed unconditional to RCS for BMUS keyboard, still have RCM to go.
hey i'm sarah
a-level subjects are music, english literature and art, and i play the viola and recorder!
predicted grades are AAA
i've applied to:
manchester
birmingham
leeds
liverpool
newcastle

i had my interview/applicant day at manchester this week and it looks perfect, i've always had my heart set on going there but at the same time i have an unconditional from birmingham if i make them my first choice :x i'm torn!
Hey I'm Sarah
Advanced Highers: Chemistry, Maths, English, Biology, Music (Achieved: A)
Predicted Grades: AAAA
Applied to:
Oxford
Durham
Edinburgh (BMus)
Glasgow (BMus)
And Glasgow again for Maths

I've had my Oxford interviews with Magdalen as the host college as well as extra interviews at University and St Johns. I've received an invitation to interview for Glasgows BMus and have an unconditional for Maths there.
Radio silence from Durham and Edinburgh except for 'Christmas wishes'(?!)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by umbreons
i had my interview/applicant day at manchester this week and it looks perfect, i've always had my heart set on going there but at the same time i have an unconditional from birmingham if i make them my first choice :x i'm torn!
I was in a similar situation with Birmingham and Durham. I firmed Durham in the end and it didn't pay off on results day, but that's just me. Go with your heart would be my advice; unless, you're the type of person who gets extremely anxious (to the point of illness) and stressed about exams, in which case go with unconditional would be my advice.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending