The Student Room Group

UCL Postgraduate Applications 2018/2019

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Got an offer at midnight. So all is true about the status change and result coming immediately after that at midnight UK time.
Original post by zmante
Got an offer at midnight. So all is true about the status change and result coming immediately after that at midnight UK time.

wonderful, congrats!

I'm starting to doubt whether I could afford to study at UCL at all... I could not find any suitable funding and the tuition fees are much higher than average, not to mention living costs in London. :frown:
Hi guys,

I received an offer for MSc Economics yesterday. I submitted the application about three weeks ago...
If you guys have any questions, I'm happy to answer them where I can.

:smile:
Original post by Unknowing
Hi guys,

I received an offer for MSc Economics yesterday. I submitted the application about three weeks ago...
If you guys have any questions, I'm happy to answer them where I can.

:smile:

This is odd, mine was validated as complete on the 27th of October for the same program, so ththat would be almost 4 weeks. So you're application goes from "Application under assesment" to "Under consideration by admission" and some hours later to "admitted" or something like that? Also, woud you mind sharing your profile? That would be much appreciated.
Oh and congrats btw!! :smile:
Original post by Florian95
This is odd, mine was validated as complete on the 27th of October for the same program, so ththat would be almost 4 weeks. So you're application goes from "Application under assesment" to "Under consideration by admission" and some hours later to "admitted" or something like that? Also, woud you mind sharing your profile? That would be much appreciated.
Oh and congrats btw!! :smile:

Ahh thanks!
I checked the emails and I applied on 6th of Nov with references in by 10th. The application goes from under assessment --> in process by Admissions --> offer.

I suppose my profile is a bit unique. Not a stellar GPA 3.6-7/4.3 and GRE of 158/166. I think working at a central bank as a RA for two years really helped out with strong references and personal statement.
Original post by Unknowing
Ahh thanks!
I checked the emails and I applied on 6th of Nov with references in by 10th. The application goes from under assessment --> in process by Admissions --> offer.

I suppose my profile is a bit unique. Not a stellar GPA 3.6-7/4.3 and GRE of 158/166. I think working at a central bank as a RA for two years really helped out with strong references and personal statement.

Oh ok I see, well my profile is quite the other way around, swiss undergrad with a very high GPA but no RA exp. whatsoever and still in my last undergrad year. GRE 162V/166Q/4AWA. I could try to speculate on why I have not received an answer yet but I'd rather not add this to the stress, especially as there's no way of knowing how the admission comittee works so I guess I'll just wait as patiently as I can and will keep you posted.
(edited 6 years ago)
Oh ok I see, well my profile is quite the other way around, swiss undergrad with a very high GPA (I don't mean to brag but a professor who's been in the department for about 30 years told me he never saw that) but no RA exp. whatsoever and still in my last undergrad year. GRE 162V/166Q/4AWA. I could try to speculate on why I have not received an answer yet but I'd rather not add this to the stress, especially as there's no way of knowing how the admission comittee works so I guess I'll just wait as patiently as I can and will keep you posted.

Where in switzerland are you from? Im also swiss so its nice to hear that there may be another swiss at UCL 😊 especially since i seem to have been one of the only swiss at my last uni 😂
Original post by sunny1111
Where in switzerland are you from? Im also swiss so its nice to hear that there may be another swiss at UCL 😊 especially since i seem to have been one of the only swiss at my last uni 😂

Oh hey there! I'm from Lausanne but actually studying at unige (Geneva) :smile: where are you from? And what program have you applied for? 🤗
Oh hey there! I'm from Lausanne but actually studying at unige (Geneva) :smile: where are you from? And what program have you applied for? 🤗

Aw how nice :smile: im from Zug and applied for msc in biomedical sciences :biggrin:
Aw how nice :smile: im from Zug and applied for msc in biomedical sciences :biggrin:

Well good luck on your application then! 🤗
Well good luck on your application then! 🤗

Thanks you too 😊🇨🇭
Reply 71
Original post by allujallu
wonderful, congrats!

I'm starting to doubt whether I could afford to study at UCL at all... I could not find any suitable funding and the tuition fees are much higher than average, not to mention living costs in London. :frown:

Thank you. Well I totally understand your concerns. I live in London for 3 years and that is why I decided to study part time whilst keeping my job. However I guess it depends how much you are determined to sacrifice comfortable life. The most expensive in London is obviously rent but you could live somewhere further form the university sharing the house with 5 other people theb finance issue could be reduced significantly. Also, part time job is not too hard to find given the size of the job market.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by zmante
Thank you. Well I totally understand your concerns. I live in London for 3 years and that is why I decided to study part time whilst keeping my job. However I guess it depends how much you are determined to sacrifice comfortable life. The most expensive in London is obviously rent but you could live somewhere further form the university sharing the house with 5 other people theb finance issue could be reduced significantly. Also, part time job is not too hard to find given the size of the job market.

Yeah, job market size is definitely an advantage in London. I've just been disappointed with how limited the offering of funding programmes is at UCL. Maybe it only concerns master's programmes? Dunno. But I want to pursue a PhD directly after graduation and in that case I obviously need funding. No way I'm gonna be doing my PhD part-time.

Kinda hesitating now because I have an offer from Cambridge and, although the course itself at UCL meets my interests better, Cambridge is much more affordable. But on the other hand Cambridge is boringly small. And then again, Cambridge has a nicer ring to it on the CV than UCL :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)
Yeah, job market size is definitely an advantage in London. I've just been disappointed with how limited the offering of funding programmes is at UCL. Maybe it only concerns master's programmes? Dunno. But I want to pursue a PhD directly after graduation and in that case I obviously need funding. No way I'm gonna be doing my PhD part-time.

Kinda hesitating now because I have an offer from Cambridge and, although the course itself at UCL meets my interests better, Cambridge is much more affordable. But on the other hand Cambridge is boringly small. And then again, Cambridge has a nicer ring to it on the CV than UCL :biggrin:

I did my bachelors in a uni in london and can suggest if ur worried about rent to look at areas more east and north- they are more affordable and have shops that are cheaper priced than central london ones and are often still in safe/ not too far away areas too.

And about picking unis (i mean i was completely put off by the cambridge interview and the uni itself after the interview and seeing how people acted there and therefore may be biased) but i would focus on which course u would enjoy more and which uni offers research projects/ fields that you would be happy/ interested in working with cuz in the end both unis offer great opportunitis after u graduate and look great on a cv (theres a reason some people reject cambridge for ucl and imperial too 😉)
i would focus on which course u would enjoy more and which uni offers research projects/ fields that you would be happy/ interested in working with cuz in the end both unis offer great opportunitis after u graduate and look great on a cv (theres a reason some people reject cambridge for ucl and imperial too 😉)

Couldn't have put it better to be honest x

I guess the main thing I'm worried about is subsequent PhD funding opportunities, so maybe I'll just start searching around right away if I get offers from both.
Reply 75

While funding for MSc is limited, I think PhDs generally tend to be funded (in fact, they are paying salary). So I would not worry about that at this stage. The only reason in decline in funded PhD positions in any university would be less funding from European Union post Brexit. By the way, I have friends who did BSc/MSc in Cambridge and ended up doing PhD in UCL. In fact, UCL is very much research oriented university.

Regarding affordability I cannot comment as I actually have heard that living in Cambridge is as expensive as in London, and even worse in that you do not have much of the cheap/further away places to stay.

Obviously Cambridge is a great university so I do not think you would be disappointed with it but if UCL course is something you feel is more aligned to your interests then I would not worry about the PhD funding.
Original post by zmante
While funding for MSc is limited, I think PhDs generally tend to be funded (in fact, they are paying salary). So I would not worry about that at this stage. The only reason in decline in funded PhD positions in any university would be less funding from European Union post Brexit. By the way, I have friends who did BSc/MSc in Cambridge and ended up doing PhD in UCL. In fact, UCL is very much research oriented university.

Regarding affordability I cannot comment as I actually have heard that living in Cambridge is as expensive as in London, and even worse in that you do not have much of the cheap/further away places to stay.

Obviously Cambridge is a great university so I do not think you would be disappointed with it but if UCL course is something you feel is more aligned to your interests then I would not worry about the PhD funding.

Thanks, this is nice to know :smile: I was aware Cambridge was expensive to live in, but the tuition fees are much lower. But thanks for sharing your experience!
Anyone here applied to Legal and Political Theory MA?
Hi! Has anyone applied to the Spatial Planning MSc? Or any other MSc/MA at the school of planning?
Reply 79
Hi! I applied for the MSc in Social and Cultural Anthropology programme, and was made an offer last night!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending