The Student Room Group

Forced To Use Facebook at Uni?

Hi so basically I have a group presentation coming up and I need to get facebook to communicate with my team members. I don't like social media like FB, Twitter, Insta etc so I don't really liked being forced to get it. Is it just something I have to do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Unknown-99
Hi so basically I have a group presentation coming up and I need to get facebook to communicate with my team members. I don't like social media like FB, Twitter, Insta etc so I don't really liked being forced to get it. Is it just something I have to do?

do they not use whatsapp? and what is the particular reason you don't like social media?
Facebook is generally used by your team members and is seen as a more convenient way for you to all keep in touch. I know you don't like social media, but you only need to go on Facebook whilst you are doing this teamwork (a few weeks at most?). Afterwards, you can choose to stop using it again if you wanted.
Reply 3
Original post by JoshDawg
do they not use whatsapp? and what is the particular reason you don't like social media?

I'm not sure if they use whatsapp but it would probably be inconvenient for them having to speak on 2 different platforms. I don't like social media because I think it's so easy to waste loads of time on it doing stupid things and there are a lot of people who use it to portray a fake picture of what their life is like to make other people jealous.
Reply 4
Original post by cheesecakelove
Facebook is generally used by your team members and is seen as a more convenient way for you to all keep in touch. I know you don't like social media, but you only need to go on Facebook whilst you are doing this teamwork (a few weeks at most?). Afterwards, you can choose to stop using it again if you wanted.

Yeah I guess so it's just that I don't like having to get social media that I don't want but I guess I'll just have to do it.
Set up a slack group instead? More useful than FB
I never post on Facebook, but I find it's essential to have at uni. It's how I find out what events societies are running, what's going on in my halls (through the halls chat) etc.

You're not going to get addicted to social media just by using Facebook. To be honest, nowadays Facebook is more just a means of communication than it is social media.
Reply 7
You're in the minority there, many people are glued to it! Its 2017 and sadly I think you just need to use it to get you through the presentation. Im sure you can resist getting addicted to putting pictures of your dinner on it :biggrin:
I'm not sure if they use whatsapp but it would probably be inconvenient for them having to speak on 2 different platforms. I don't like social media because I think it's so easy to waste loads of time on it doing stupid things and there are a lot of people who use it to portray a fake picture of what their life is like to make other people jealous.

Yet you have a TSR account.
Reply 9
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
Yet you have a TSR account.

I should have phrased that better. I don't like MOST social media. I like TSR because I can get great advice and also give other people advice. FB is selfies and memes.
I should have phrased that better. I don't like MOST social media. I like TSR because I can get great advice and also give other people advice. FB is selfies and memes.

So don't use facebook for anything except communicating, or suggest a more convenient way of keeping in touch.

Is anyone asking you to waste loads of time or do stupid things?

If you dont want to use it then convince everyone to abandon it, offer them a better alternative.or just do without.

Perhaps other people find it useful?

You appear to have some strong opinions on facebook without being a user.
You appear not to be able to trust or control yourself as to how you interact with an internet site. Ask them to use TSR if thats the only site that has your approval.

It's probably the most convenient way your team members could think of to keep in contact, especially if you aren't part of the same friendship group. It's easier than trying to constantly coordinate everyone's schedules to meet in person, and also allows you to send ppt slides to each other quickly for feedback.

You don't have to keep using Facebook after the presentation is over, so just make a basic account for now. If you don't get it, you'll find yourself left out of the loop, and you'll feel unprepared come the presentation day.
Its 2017. No one i know that is under the age of 20 uses that absolute trash tbh. Snapchat is like the only social media i use.
Insta, twitter and fb just give u a massive FOMO, and feel bad that everyone else is having a great time compared to you. Nahh **** that ****. I have other things to worry about. Its all bullocks engineered to hook you in and psychologically manipulate you.
Reply 15
FB is selfies and memes.

You obviously haven't been on facebook since you were 13.

Here are some things I use fb for at university:

Seeing events etc for the societies I am in
Seeing the plays/shows that my friends are going to be in (I am very involved in arts soc stuff)
Groups, such as the deaf/HoH group I am in, that give help & advice
Seeing university or department events, such as external speakers etc
I've been invited to parties and other events via facebook
Messenger group chats - for my course and for societies, and the committee I'm on
Keeping up with the family - not only via what they post but Messenger is an easy way to send photos
seems like you don't want to use fb incase you get too addicted to it.
If you are just going to message and do nothing, then what's the problem?
Thanks for all the replies I'll just get it and go with the flow I'll probably deactivate my account when I don't need it.

You don't have to use FaceBook. FB is for my personal life and some of the folks on my course are not part of my personal life so I wouldn't want them to see pics of my mates/exes/ mom's cookies / past life.

You can take everyone's uni email address and set up a group email that you use to email them on study stuff and meet ups. I've done this and it works fine.
Just get Facebook and only use the messenger app, it's a great way of staying in touch with people who use FB but not having to look at/partake in any of the bullsh*t people post up there. No one's saying you have to make a profile and start sharing annoying links and posting memes, just use it to talk to your group and leave it at that. i talk to people on FB but I haven't actually posted anything on it since 2014.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending