The Student Room Group

Anything I can do regarding appealing?

Sorry if this isn't the right place-I wasn't really sure where it should go.

In short I completed my masters a month ago- if I'm honest it wasn't a great year for a number of reasons and I put in a really half hearted effort for a lot of it as well as having to spend a lot of time working a job alongside. Although I spent a lot of time wanting to drop out I continued on and finished. I got my results and got a pass which I wasn't overjoyed with but because of what I said previously I wasn't surprised or devastated or anything. A couple of days ago I got the breakdown of my results and my overall score was 59.48%, so 0.52% away from a merit.

At the time of submitting my final piece (my degree was made up of two projects) I submitted extenuating circumstances but admittedly did do this quite late but within the universities policy. Once submitted I never heard anything regarding the outcome but after emailing my course leader he has says the mitigating circumstances panel had fully considered my application and notified the board of examiners. I also asked about appealing and he said the university only accepts appeals on grounds that new evidence has become available that the students performance was affected or for administrative errors or the examination wasn't conducted within accordance of regulations.

So I don't think I'd have much chance appealing as mine doesn't match any of these. So what I'm asking: is there anything I can actually do? As I've put above I don't mind just sticking with the pass because to be honest I was just happy to make it through the year but just seems gutting to be this close to the merit and not even try and do anything.

Thank you X
Reply 1
Original post by Coconutter
Sorry if this isn't the right place-I wasn't really sure where it should go.

In short I completed my masters a month ago- if I'm honest it wasn't a great year for a number of reasons and I put in a really half hearted effort for a lot of it as well as having to spend a lot of time working a job alongside. Although I spent a lot of time wanting to drop out I continued on and finished. I got my results and got a pass which I wasn't overjoyed with but because of what I said previously I wasn't surprised or devastated or anything. A couple of days ago I got the breakdown of my results and my overall score was 59.48%, so 0.52% away from a merit.

At the time of submitting my final piece (my degree was made up of two projects) I submitted extenuating circumstances but admittedly did do this quite late but within the universities policy. Once submitted I never heard anything regarding the outcome but after emailing my course leader he has says the mitigating circumstances panel had fully considered my application and notified the board of examiners. I also asked about appealing and he said the university only accepts appeals on grounds that new evidence has become available that the students performance was affected or for administrative errors or the examination wasn't conducted within accordance of regulations.

So I don't think I'd have much chance appealing as mine doesn't match any of these. So what I'm asking: is there anything I can actually do? As I've put above I don't mind just sticking with the pass because to be honest I was just happy to make it through the year but just seems gutting to be this close to the merit and not even try and do anything.

Thank you X

The boundary exists for a reason, and unfortunately some people will fall just below it whilst some people will just scrape above it. If your extenuating circumstances were considered, and you don't fit into the categories for appealing, you can't take further action. Usually, the marks closest to the boundary are the ones most carefully looked at, as they don't want to make a mistake that will affect your grade.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending