Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently predicted AAB in Chemistry, Politics and Biology and I'm applying to study law at uni. All the universities I want to apply to require AAA, I do have mitigating circumstances for things that happened last year but idk if unis will care ((. Are there any good unis for law that will accept AAB?

ReputationRep:
    Also I have a strong personal statement (masterclasses, work experience, DofE etc)

ReputationRep:
    They will definitely consider any extenuating circumstances. Ask your teacher to put it in your reference, or communicate it to the university in some form. If you have a good personal statement, you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I'm predicted AAAC - I'm really disappointed with the C grade prediction in English. I'm applying for AAA/AAB courses. Will the C hinder my chances of receiving offers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by euphonious)
    I'm predicted AAAC - I'm really disappointed with the C grade prediction in English. I'm applying for AAA/AAB courses. Will the C hinder my chances of receiving offers?
    Nah you'll be fine, youre still predicted 3 As. What you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnALevelStudent)
    Nah you'll be fine, youre still predicted 3 As. What you applying for?
    Law with Politics (LLB) at Lancaster, Cardiff and Leicester, and Law (LLB) at Birmingham and York.

You?

ReputationRep:
    Also I have a strong personal statement (masterclasses, work experience, DofE etc)
    DofE isn't a sign of a strong personal statement. It's actually a bit of a joke that you have to include it.

Notts might take you with AAB, they tend to adjust their AAA offer downwards if you're from a poorer background. Not sure if there are any decent ones that will take AAB (perhaps try Bristol for its contextual offer? not sure)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    DofE isn't a sign of a strong personal statement. It's actually a bit of a joke that you have to include it.

Notts might take you with AAB, they tend to adjust their AAA offer downwards if you're from a poorer background. Not sure if there are any decent ones that will take AAB (perhaps try Bristol for its contextual offer? not sure)
    These young uns tend to think that they'd get in ahead of Bertrand Russell, as long as they have that trusty DofE Gold award. All it means is you had some free time.

ReputationRep:

This.

Don't think its just to do with poorer background though- I think if you have a good statement/ reference/ LNAT (or maybe all of it needs to be good, not too sure) etc they'll offer you AAB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mjustliving)
    This.

Don't think its just to do with poorer background though- I think if you have a good statement/ reference/ LNAT (or maybe all of it needs to be good, not too sure) etc they'll offer you AAB
    I'm not sure as to why Notts would necessarily need to offer such exceptional candidates a lower offer. After all, they're unlikely to miss a conditional offer of AAA anyway, and, while a candidate being offered AAB may lean towards firming them for the sake of risk aversion, it's also possible that they'll be confident enough of meeting AAA anyway (meaning that the reduced offer won't have a massive impact on their decision making).

The 'flexible admissions policy' that allows Notts to make lower offers seems to be based around bad educational circumstances rather than a particularly good application in general.

From their website: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/...w/llb-law.aspx
    "Flexible admissions policy
    In recognition of our applicants’ varied experience and educational pathways, The University of Nottingham employs a flexible admissions policy. We may make some applicants an offer lower than advertised, depending on their personal and educational circumstances. Please see the University’s admissions policies and procedures for more information. "

The flexible admissions policy is outlined further below: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/...missionspolicy
    "In recognition of our applicants’ varied experience and educational pathways, we employ a flexible admissions policy. If we judge that your situation has adversely affected your achievement, then we will consider this when assessing your academic potential. If you wish to mention information about your experiences in your personal statement, then you should ask the teacher or tutor writing your reference to confirm what you have written. We may ask for further evidence and may consider a range of factors.
    We may consider a range of circumstances, including, for example:
    • Being from a less advantaged family environment in terms of income, education and experience. We normally use a postcode tool to assess this, but some courses may consider whether:
        • your parents have been to university
        • you or your family are on a low income or receive a means-tested benefit or tax credit
    • Being from a school or college where high academic achievement is not the norm
    • Being in local authority care (‘looked after’), or having been in care, for at least three months
    • Being responsible for the long-term care of a sick or disabled family member
    • Having childcare responsibilities
    • Being from a travelling background or having had a disrupted education
    • Having refugee status.

However, if you have been affected by illness, disability or bereavement, we will assume that you have already received special consideration from the examination board(s) awarding your grades, unless your referee tells us otherwise.
    When we look at extracurricular activities, achievements and responsibilities, we are aware that applicants have different opportunities available to them. We are looking for applicants who have made the most of the opportunities available to them and are able to reflect intelligently on their experiences. These could include, for example, responsibilities at home, at school or in the community; sporting or musical achievements; or participation in schemes such as Duke of Edinburgh. You may wish to describe how you have faced difficult circumstances positively in terms of an achievement."

Overall, it seems that Notts will give lower offers to disadvantaged candidates who've made the best of the circumstances they found themselves in (and therefore deserved an offer in the first place), rather than giving them to perhaps privileged applicants with amazing Oxbridge-level ECs. How this affects the OP, I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by euphonious)
    Law with Politics (LLB) at Lancaster, Cardiff and Leicester, and Law (LLB) at Birmingham and York.

You?
    Law at Leicester, Aston, Birmingham, Keele and Cardiff

ReputationRep:
    We may consider a range of circumstances, including, for example:
    • Being from a school or college where high academic achievement is not the norm
    • Being in local authority care (‘looked after’), or having been in care, for at least three months
    • Being responsible for the long-term care of a sick or disabled family member
    • Having childcare responsibilities
    • Being from a travelling background or having had a disrupted education
    • Having refugee status.
    This all makes sense and I'm sure that they do offer lower offers to those from disadvantaged backgrounds.

The reason for my belief of them offering AAB offers if they exceptionally like one bit of an application is because me and one other person in my class were offered AAB offers. I do not have the best grades (although still good) with 7A* 4A at GCSE and AAA predicted. The other person, however, has straight A*s in everything. We both talked and we do not fit any of the criteria- we go to a good school (where academic achievement is quite high) and are from decent areas.

The other 2 people in my school who also applied Notts law (one with straight A* and one with similar grades to me) got AAA offers however. Unless it was a mistake, the only thing I can think of is as they liked the rest of application, excluding grades, so they offered us lower offers.

Regarding the OP, if AAB offers are being made, not just for contextual reasons, then it seems to me that if the other aspects of his application were good/excellent, he/she stands a chance.

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely apply to at least two AAA universities. Many unis that ask for AAA accept students that get AAB anyway, so as long as you get these grades (or even AAA) you'll be perfectly fine.

Maybe try York, Manchester, Sheffield or Newcastle. you could even try Bristol and Nottingham too

As for the mitigating circumstances- YES universities do take it seriously, very seriously as do employers- so if you can get your form tutor to mention that in their reference, it will definitely be taken into account.

ReputationRep:
    I might see you around

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lostrider)
    I would definitely apply to at least two AAA universities. Many unis that ask for AAA accept students that get AAB anyway, so as long as you get these grades (or even AAA) you'll be perfectly fine.

Maybe try York, Manchester, Sheffield or Newcastle. you could even try Bristol and Nottingham too

As for the mitigating circumstances- YES universities do take it seriously, very seriously as do employers- so if you can get your form tutor to mention that in their reference, it will definitely be taken into account.
    Bristol is A*AA so I wouldn't recommend applying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistryGuy1998)
    Bristol is A*AA so I wouldn't recommend applying
    They let people in with 3 Bs this year. As have manchester and other unis

Edit: Also if the OP is eligible for their reduced entry requirements they'll be fine too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Edit: Also if the OP is eligible for their reduced entry requirements they'll be fine too

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They upped their requirements for Law from AAA to A*AA this year so it'll be harder

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not applying to Bristol as I dont have LNAT but I'm considering Manchester

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.