The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sammychu00
I'm staying in accommodation before my interview and was wondering where I would put my stuff during my interview because I don't think it will look very professional if I take an overnight bag into the interview? Also, would I be allowed to highlight and write on the pre-interview reading sheet and can I take paper into the interview in case I need to write something and they don't have paper? (I'm applying for history btw)

For pre interview reading I don’t think you can highlight, the sheets might be laminated
Original post by sammychu00
Thank you! You know the interview's getting close when you start to worry about trivial things like this. :biggrin:

If there’s anything you aren’t sure about ask student helpers/admission staff/interviewers/porters/etc. It’s their role to help you. :smile:
Original post by Doonesbury
The interview is no more, or less, important than the other aspects of your application. Even assuming* you had a "weak" interview it needed be the end of the road at all, especially if other parts of your application are stronger.

*Which, if your refer to my chart, is a big and probably faulty assumption.

Anyway it's all done now - so relax, don't post-mortem things any more, and just wait for the 10th Jan. Good luck! :smile:

What chart and where can I find it?!
Original post by AvogadrosAvocado
What chart and where can I find it?!

Amongst many other places: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=74905038&postcount=1899

There is no basically no correlation between an interviewee's impression of how well/badly an interview went and the actual Offer decision.
I've had my interview but i don't know my score for the engaa.
I asked the interviewer at the end about it but he didn't know.
How can I know my score?
Original post by rexs2000
I've had my interview but i don't know my score for the engaa.
I asked the interviewer at the end about it but he didn't know.
How can I know my score?

In a feedback you can request your college IF you are rejected. (Feedback is only available for unsuccessful candidates)
If you get and accept an offer, you can ask you DoS when you start at Cambridge.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by vincrows
In a feedback you can request your college IF you are rejected. (Feedback is only available for unsuccessful candidates)
If you get and accept an offer, you can ask you DoS when you start at Cambridge.

Thank you
I hope i don't get to know soon then
Original post by rexs2000
Thank you
I hope i don't get to know soon then

Exactly. :biggrin:
Good luck! :smile:

Edit:
In the worst case scenario of getting unwanted result and sending a request for a feedback, ask them specifically you want to know the score and other things if you want to know other details too.
Feedbacks tend to be rather general without much details as they need to process so many requests by very small number of admission staff. (Like, one secretary chasing people who were involved in the decision)
(edited 6 years ago)
A bit irrelevant but I'm staying at Corpus Christi overnight for my interview. Does anyone know if blankets and pillows will be provided in the dorm? Many thanks!
Original post by Fluffy_potatoes
A bit irrelevant but I'm staying at Corpus Christi overnight for my interview. Does anyone know if blankets and pillows will be provided in the dorm? Many thanks!

You’ll get a bed ready for you to sleep in, of course. :wink:
Probably a duvet, rather than a blanket though.
It’s not a dorm but a single room.

I see, thank you :smile:

I think some (notably Americans) call halls a dorm even if they are all single rooms, confusingly. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
I think some (notably Americans) call halls a dorm even if they are all single rooms, confusingly. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wondered that as ‘a dorm’ sounds very American.....
Gosh after 200+ yrs, they still can’t speak proper English......

:tongue:
Reply 1993
How is the interview assessed?
I wondered that as ‘a dorm’ sounds very American.....
Gosh after 200+ yrs, they still can’t speak proper English......

:tongue:

Any sort of accomodation provided on campus is considered a “dorm” to us :tongue:
I'm an overseas applicant for Medicine and had my interviews a few days ago. I'm pretty sure I screwed up real bad, my brain froze up for the entire length of the interview and I actually thought of the correct answer to their questions the second I walked out. Anyways I'm pretty darn sure I'll get rejected in January, but the only problem is that I'll be taking some of my A-Level papers in January right after decision day. I'm thinking of withdrawing now to save me from the tears and (hopefully) not let it affect my exams, can anyone give me some advice? Thanks :frown:
Original post by teetwo123
I'm an overseas applicant for Medicine and had my interviews a few days ago. I'm pretty sure I screwed up real bad, my brain froze up for the entire length of the interview and I actually thought of the correct answer to their questions the second I walked out. Anyways I'm pretty darn sure I'll get rejected in January, but the only problem is that I'll be taking some of my A-Level papers in January right after decision day. I'm thinking of withdrawing now to save me from the tears and (hopefully) not let it affect my exams, can anyone give me some advice? Thanks :frown:

I wouldn't withdraw, remember that your application is viewed holistically so even if your interview went badly there is still a chance of them giving you an offer.

Firstly, it is nearly impossible to tell how you performed at the interview. Only your interviewrs are aware of how well you did. Refer to @Donesbury 's chart.

Also, the aim of the interviews are not to spout out correct answers- they just want to see how you think! So while you believe you did not give any correct answers, the interviewers may admire your thought process in getting to an incorrect answer.

I strongly recommend NOT withdrawing your application as you can never tell whether you will have recieved an offer- and withdrawing means you defintely won't get a place where there might have been chance you would. If you do feel a rejection would damage your performanc in the exam, don't look at your emails on decision day until after the exam. You can spend that time revising or relaxing (or whatever it is you plan to do).

At the end of the day, you will not have lost anything from not withdrawing your application but you could potentially lose a lot MORE from withdrawing your application.
Original post by GrandExecutioner
Firstly, it is nearly impossible to tell how you performed at the interview. Only your interviewrs are aware of how well you did. Refer to @Donesbury 's chart.

Also, the aim of the interviews are not to spout out correct answers- they just want to see how you think! So while you believe you did not give any correct answers, the interviewers may admire your thought process in getting to an incorrect answer.

I strongly recommend NOT withdrawing your application as you can never tell whether you will have recieved an offer- and withdrawing means you defintely won't get a place where there might have been chance you would. If you do feel a rejection would damage your performanc in the exam, don't look at your emails on decision day until after the exam. You can spend that time revising or relaxing (or whatever it is you plan to do).

At the end of the day, you will not have lost anything from not withdrawing your application but you could potentially lose a lot MORE from withdrawing your application.

Thank you so very much, I think I’ll do just that. Trying not to get my hopes up so I won’t be TOO depressed haha
Thank you so very much, I think I’ll do just that. Trying not to get my hopes up so I won’t be TOO depressed haha

I don't know which country you're from or whether you've applied to other uk medical schools, but if you don't get an offer from Cambridge but are accepted by other uk medical school/s, I'd strongly suggest you consider taking it rather than rejecting it and re-applying Cambridge next year.
Probably you're already aware of it, but all medical schools, including Cambridge, under a strict quota by the government/NHS on how many international applicants they can accept for their medical course. So it makes already very competitive medical admission even more competitive to international applicants.

If you're thinking of working as a practicing medical doctor in UK after the degree, it really doesn't make much difference on your job prospect at all if you're trained at Cambridge or other uk medical school as their course is regulated to meet a necessary standard whereever you got your degree from.
If your ultimate goal after the graduation is to work in UK as a doctor, I think you should take any offer you get.

If you're planning to going back to your country after the degree and if Cambridge's name on your qualification makes a big difference there, that's another matter which I have no idea of.

Latest

Trending

Trending