The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

@vincrows Also, do you suggest I book ahead or we could just come over and issue the tickets on the spot. Because I read in another forum that maybe you should not risk it, as there are several delays with flights etc.
Original post by EleaGR
Thank you for your quick response. So I see "OP" mentioned. What is that? Any advice on the coach line? I don't know from which site to book and the ones I find seem to have different bus stops.... Sorry to bother you again! :wink:

http://www.nationalexpress.com/coach/Landing/route.aspx?to=Cambridge&from=Stansted&gclid=Cj0KEQjwsb-vBRCLj7TvqpGx_MoBEiQALgFGnt4xyqAMh1dEXB_Ai6BIoEXNcCnJPWOmusXTZCOa24caAi3s8P8HAQ&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=+stansted%20+to%20+cambridge&utm_content=K_CREATIVE_HEADLINE&utm_campaign=UK%7CEN%7CGO%7CGEN%7CBM%7CStansted%20to%20Cambridge

‘OP’ just means an opening thread/post of a topic or a person who first started it. :wink:
Original post by EleaGR
@vincrows Also, do you suggest I book ahead or we could just come over and issue the tickets on the spot. Because I read in another forum that maybe you should not risk it, as there are several delays with flights etc.

I think it’s better to contact the coach company about 1jhow likely to be busy on the day you’re using the service (ie: better to book in advance or not) , 2) if you’re delayed, if it’s possble to get on a next available coach.

I know the existence of the service between Stansted and Cambridge, but I’ve never used it myself, so no idea about these, I’m afraid. Sorry.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by EleaGR
Hey, everyone! I'm trying to book the trip to Cambridge, and I would appreciate some advice on what is the best means to get from Stansted airport to Cambridge. I'm looking for trains and buses, but I'm confused which is better in terms of cost and convenience, and which lines to choose. My daughter's interview is at Downing College, and we are trying to find a room within a reasonable cost and distance. So far, we have found a room at Christ's College that is reasonably priced and centrally located, but they don't allow guests who are under 18!!!! We've emailed them, if they can make some exception for applicants who are almost 18, but haven't heard from them yet. Other options are Sidney Sussex college and Gonville & Caius, but I'm not sure whether the latter one is convenient. Please help! @Doonesbury @vincrows

What subject did she apply for?
Original post by EleaGR
Hey, everyone! I'm trying to book the trip to Cambridge, and I would appreciate some advice on what is the best means to get from Stansted airport to Cambridge. I'm looking for trains and buses, but I'm confused which is better in terms of cost and convenience, and which lines to choose. My daughter's interview is at Downing College, and we are trying to find a room within a reasonable cost and distance. So far, we have found a room at Christ's College that is reasonably priced and centrally located, but they don't allow guests who are under 18!!!! We've emailed them, if they can make some exception for applicants who are almost 18, but haven't heard from them yet. Other options are Sidney Sussex college and Gonville & Caius, but I'm not sure whether the latter one is convenient. Please help! @Doonesbury @vincrows

Hold on, so she is flying in and Downing are refusing to provide accomodation?
We are flying together from Greece, and she prefers we stay together. Downing cannot confirm accomodation until some days closer to interviews which is on Dec. 8th. So, I believe we should book something to be sure we have something.

Original post by Doonesbury
Hold on, so she is flying in and Downing are refusing to provide accomodation?
(edited 6 years ago)
She applied for Natural Sciences at Downing College.

Original post by futuredoctorz
What subject did she apply for?
Thanks again for your prompt response! Much obliged! :smile:

Original post by vincrows
I think it’s better to contact the coach company about 1jhow likely to be busy on the day you’re using the service (ie: better to book in advance or not) , 2) if you’re delayed, if it’s possble to get on a next available coach.

I know the existence of the service between Stansted and Cambridge, but I’ve never used it myself, so no idea about these, I’m afraid. Sorry.
Original post by EleaGR
We are flying together from Greece, and she prefers we stay together. Downing cannot confirm accomodation until some days closer to interviews which is on Dec. 8th. So, I believe we should book something to be sure we have something.

Ok, that's not ideal is it. :frown:

But if you are staying somewhere else together what's the issue? oh, you mean they won't let her stay in her own room if shes under 18... hmm.... they do know she is travelling accompanied?

Also is it worth mentioning to her that most (almost all) candidates will be staying at their college without parents. It's very normal, and there will be some current student helpers around plus the porters to keep an eye on her if necessary. It's all part of the experience :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Spot on! You got it. Hopefully, we'll work this out soon enough! Thanks a lot for all the support. You all do a great job, and you are so prompt with responses even on a Saturday evening! Greetings from Greece to everyone!

Ok, that's not ideal is it. :frown:

But if you are staying somewhere else together what's the issue? oh, you mean they won't let her stay in her own room if shes under 18... hmm.... they do know she is travelling accompanied?

Also is it worth mentioning to her that most (almost all) candidates will be staying at their college without parents. It's very normal, and there will be some current student helpers around plus the porters to keep an eye on her if necessary. It's all part of the experience :smile:
Original post by EleaGR
Spot on! You got it. Hopefully, we'll work this out soon enough! Thanks a lot for all the support. You all do a great job, and you are so prompt with responses even on a Saturday evening! Greetings from Greece to everyone!

κανένα πρόβλημα!

So just to be clear, I presume she has applied for College accommodation for herself anyway and this is just a Plan β :smile:
Exactly! I mean I can't wait until last minute for Downing's confirmation, I have to make sure we have a room. By the way, I love your Greek!!! :wink:

κανένα πρόβλημα!

So just to be clear, I presume she has applied for College accommodation for herself anyway and this is just a Plan β :smile:
Original post by EleaGR
By the way, I love your Greek!!! :wink:

I know my α from my ω, but that's about it :smile:
Google Translate is φοβερός.
LOL!!! Thank God for Google translate!!! :wink: :smile:
I know my α from my ω, but that's about it :smile:
Google Translate is φοβερός.
Original post by bonnie_x
Any suggestions for what I should do all day in Cambridge? I have one interview on Sunday morning and then no interviews until the next day....

hire a bike! Thats what I did when I was last in cambridge, the city is gorgeous and it will clear your head
Original post by ClauChan1012
Just joined onto TSR so I'm a bit late but I got an interview from Emmanuel for Asian and Middle Eastern Studies (Japanese) on 5th Dec 2017!
Btw I'm currently an international status I believe since I'm from Hong Kong though I do study in the UK
Anyone on the same boat?

Hi! Same boat in terms of from Hong Kong, international status, studying in the UK, and got an interview from Cambridge :smile: I applied to Chemical Engineering via Engineering at Newnham tho
Does anyone have any idea what kind of room we'll be interviewed in? For some reason I always picture a large room with s fireplace and lots of old wooden furniture.
Original post by CarmentheNarwhal
Are there any Corpus Natsci applicants out there waiting for an invitation?

I've applied for BioNatSci at Corpus and still heard nothing back. :/
Original post by Ali Bomaye!
Does anyone have any idea what kind of room we'll be interviewed in? For some reason I always picture a large room with s fireplace and lots of old wooden furniture.

Whatever room available.
Some rooms can be a room like you have imagined but some rooms can be more like a small office, and anything in between.
Original post by Ali Bomaye!

Could be, but might be anything.

One thing to note though is you might be sitting in a comfy, low armchair. This is all very well but, especially women, should dress, er, accordingly.......

Latest

Trending

Trending