The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2080
Original post by lopterton
Hi nuodai. Thanks for this. I've read the Handbook and everything I can find. The issue is still very much "on the edge" for me. I think I'd do fine with the departmental contact, and welcome a diminishing in my DOS's role - but how much scope would my DOS still have for messing things up if he wanted to? There probably isn't a good answer to that! If he did his usual stuff, though, since a DOS is a college matter, I'd be complaining to the people I've already complained to (i.e. at my college), when I got pooh-poohed. Rather than face this, I'd prefer to do a Master's somewhere else. On the other hand, if I do Part III, maybe my DOS would stop caring about exerting an influence, and leave most of the job of any required involvement relating to my maths studies to my departmental contact. (In which case he's very welcome!) There's hardly any way to tell, so it's a difficult one!

Maybe one thing to ask is - how much work does a DOS have to do (other than seeing you at start and end of term) when they've got a student in Part III? If the answer is 'not much', this may bode well :-)

I couldn't really give you an answer without speculating -- all I know is what's put in the Part III Handbook etc. If you don't mind me asking, what's your DoS actually done?
Original post by nuodai
I couldn't really give you an answer without speculating -- all I know is what's put in the Part III Handbook etc. If you don't mind me asking, what's your DoS actually done?

I don't feel I can or should answer that here.
Maybe one thing to ask is - how much work does a DOS have to do (other than seeing you at start and end of term) when they've got a student in Part III? If the answer is 'not much', this may bode well :-)

Your DoS still has an official role, unfortunately. You submit your exam choices and essay through them. If you want to take supervisions (as opposed to the usual examples classes), this is probably arranged through your DoS too, since the college has to pay for it. (On the other hand, the department pays for examples classes.)

You could try to change college for Part III this is extremely unusual, and probably harder for a SLC/LEA-funded student than a self-funded student but it has happened before.
Original post by Zhen Lin
Your DoS still has an official role, unfortunately. You submit your exam choices and essay through them. If you want to take supervisions (as opposed to the usual examples classes), this is probably arranged through your DoS too, since the college has to pay for it. (On the other hand, the department pays for examples classes.)

You could try to change college for Part III this is extremely unusual, and probably harder for a SLC/LEA-funded student than a self-funded student but it has happened before.

Thanks! I don't know much about the money side of it. I've been told the College Fee is still paid for the 4th year - that's about all I know. What are Part III supervisions? Hadn't heard of them before. I've read about the examples classes and how there's a list of those who are doing the sheets, so that they can be more involved when the sheets get gone through, but other people can turn up too. Do courses have either examples classes or supervisions, or do some have both? If you want to do a certain course, might it be that there are only supervisions and no examples classes? (If so, my college problems might affect my choice of courses.) And if a course does have both, can you go to both, or would that be considered greedy? :smile:
Thanks! I don't know much about the money side of it. I've been told the College Fee is still paid for the 4th year - that's about all I know. What are Part III supervisions? Hadn't heard of them before.

I'm told it mostly happens for Statslab courses. None of the courses I've taken have advertised supervisions, but apparently it can be arranged if you are in desperate need of extra help...
Reply 2085
What's the difference between the "basic" and "advanced" sign-up sheets for Part III courses? All courses seem to have them. (I'm not sure I remember the categories exactly right.)
Original post by wooper
What's the difference between the "basic" and "advanced" sign-up sheets for Part III courses? All courses seem to have them. (I'm not sure I remember the categories exactly right.)

That's up to the organiser of each study group.
Reply 2087
Original post by Zhen Lin
That's up to the organiser of each study group.

What sort of things can it mean? How does a student decide whether to sign up for one or the other?
Original post by wooper
What sort of things can it mean? How does a student decide whether to sign up for one or the other?

It could mean anything. I'm not in a position to say because I didn't go to all that many study group meetings in the end (even the ones I organised myself...) In one case the organiser decided to have a single study group instead of a split between basic and advanced.
Reply 2089
Hey, I'm a "soon-to-be" (STEP grades permitting) mathmo and I was just wondering how the STEP grades achieved before entry are generally distributed amongst the different degree classifications? For example, do the vast majority of people in 1st class territory hold S,S or do many people with 1,1/1,2 also get firsts? I'm aware of the strong correlation of STEP with tripos performance but I was interested in the extent of this correlation in your experience, as far as grades are concerned. Thanks. :smile:
Reply 2090
Original post by Exp!
Hey, I'm a "soon-to-be" (STEP grades permitting) mathmo and I was just wondering how the STEP grades achieved before entry are generally distributed amongst the different degree classifications? For example, do the vast majority of people in 1st class territory hold S,S or do many people with 1,1/1,2 also get firsts? I'm aware of the strong correlation of STEP with tripos performance but I was interested in the extent of this correlation in your experience, as far as grades are concerned. Thanks. :smile:

Plenty of people with 1,1 get firsts, and plenty of people with S,S get 2:2s -- to be honest the correlation really is just a correlation, and I think the underlying causation has more to do with hard work than anything especially deep.
Reply 2091
Original post by nuodai
Plenty of people with 1,1 get firsts, and plenty of people with S,S get 2:2s -- to be honest the correlation really is just a correlation, and I think the underlying causation has more to do with hard work than anything especially deep.

Given that STEP grades have the highest correlation to degree performance (of all the indicators which Cambridge consider) I think this is a bit disingenuous.

I also think you'd struggle to find "plenty" of people with SS, let alone plenty of people with SS, 2:2
Reply 2092
Original post by Exp!

Original post by nuodai

Original post by SimonM

You might find this link of interest: http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/research/docs/prefective_effectiveness_of_metrics_in_admission.pdf

It gives a statistical analysis of the effectiveness of STEP in predicting tripos performance, compared with other admissions data :smile:
Original post by Mc^3
You might find this link of interest: http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/research/docs/prefective_effectiveness_of_metrics_in_admission.pdf

It gives a statistical analysis of the effectiveness of STEP in predicting tripos performance, compared with other admissions data :smile:

This is pretty cool - I've seen it before, and I'm assuming it's what Simon was referring to.
Reply 2094
Original post by Mc^3

I feel the need to point out that it is only for part IA, I would like to see the correlation to part II.
Hi guys, i'm in year 12 at the moment and am considering applying to Cambridge to do maths. The main reason i'm a bit worried is that i only got 3A*s at GCSE, the rest were A's and I've heard that for Oxbridge GCSE's are usually wanted all A* (or there abouts). For my A2's im doing maths, further maths and physics, predicted A*A*A. I have qualified for the UKMT Olympiad before and I am part of the UKMT mentoring scheme, I'm also doing STEP. My question is really is it worth applying, is there a half decent chance I could get a place, I don't go to private school, im the first in my family to even go to uni, so I'm not at a massive advantage from that perspective, but it's somewhere i really would like to go. So what do people think?Worth applying or not??

Thanks
Use the search button.
Reply 2097
Original post by James314195
Hi guys, i'm in year 12 at the moment and am considering applying to Cambridge to do maths. The main reason i'm a bit worried is that i only got 3A*s at GCSE, the rest were A's and I've heard that for Oxbridge GCSE's are usually wanted all A* (or there abouts). For my A2's im doing maths, further maths and physics, predicted A*A*A. I have qualified for the UKMT Olympiad before and I am part of the UKMT mentoring scheme, I'm also doing STEP. My question is really is it worth applying, is there a half decent chance I could get a place, I don't go to private school, im the first in my family to even go to uni, so I'm not at a massive advantage from that perspective, but it's somewhere i really would like to go. So what do people think?Worth applying or not??

Thanks

As posted above there are countless similar threads.

You said your taking Maths, Further maths and Physics to A2? Well that is probably what 90% of the other applicants for Mathematics would be doing and although Cambridge are generally a bit more lenient on GCSE's than Oxford - When they are faced with 300 applicants taking the exact same subjects as you are for mathematics it will unfortunately and undoubtedly fall on your interview, STEP and GCSE grades. Since you're lacking in the final of those 3 you might want to try and enhance your application, do an extended project or try and be different on paper somehow.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by James314195

Thanks

Cambridge doesn't put emphasis on ur GCSEs. So if you ace ur AS and get like 95% + then you will most likely get an interview and if you ace that, then you got the offer!
However Oxford does put emphasis on ur GCSEs so u should apply to Cambridge cuz there is more chance you will get an offer from there! :biggrin:
The STEP is the biggest thing you need to focus on so start preparing for it!
You'd be better off posting in this thread.

You're in a good position, your GCSE grades won't be a big deal, they're excellent. The key thing is to show a passion and dedication for the subject and that you're very mathematically able - if you have these, you're a good candidate and it's worth applying.

Latest

Trending

Trending