The Student Room Group

Mini Fridges

Hi, so my university doesn't allow you to have mini fridges or other kitchen appliances not provided by the university. However, due to some "issues" with food storage and housemates stealing my food I brought a mini fridge and am keeping it in my room even though it's banned. Has anyone else done this? How safe is it? and what are the odds that I'll get caught and have to pay a fine or something? Do universities carry out bedroom inspections?
P.S i live in an university managed house so there is less contact with officials than in Halls- I also have a kettle in my room.
I have heard some places do bedroom inspections but when I was uni, only the communal areas got checked (bathroom and kitchen). I don't think you would be fined if you were caught, probably given a warning and told to get rid of it? Other students might have different experiences though...

Have you had a word with the housemate who is stealing your food? They might not think it is a big problem unless you tell them. You could suggest that they could share your food (I don't know how much people are taking from you) if they contribute some money towards it.
Although it's remote and I'm not that fussed - the reason they do this kind of thing is so that you don't get people bringing all these dodgy appliances in sans PAT testing and then you get Grenfell type stuff going down.

I used to do PAT testing as a Summer job and a lot of these kind of things failed for earth leakage and cases being live etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending