The Student Room Group

help: Passion for physio, but..

I have a strong passion for physiotherapy, but I'm not sure if the job is right for me.
I have a good academic background in science and would love to work in a hospital. I applied for biomedical science last year, which I got accepted for, and deferred because I wasn't 100% sure. I love learning about the human body, and how it reacts to disease and illness, and have always been interested in sports injury. I know I would enjoy the degree content itself, but my only problem is the job as an overall. I'm not sure I have the actual skills to deal with patients.
Is shadowing a physio the only way to gain an insight into whether the job is right for you? Is there any other practical things I can do to enhance my knowledge for this profession?
Just torn between the two degrees, and would appreciate some feedback.
Cheers.
Reply 1
Original post by jamiejay
I have a strong passion for physiotherapy, but I'm not sure if the job is right for me.
I have a good academic background in science and would love to work in a hospital. I applied for biomedical science last year, which I got accepted for, and deferred because I wasn't 100% sure. I love learning about the human body, and how it reacts to disease and illness, and have always been interested in sports injury. I know I would enjoy the degree content itself, but my only problem is the job as an overall. I'm not sure I have the actual skills to deal with patients.
Is shadowing a physio the only way to gain an insight into whether the job is right for you? Is there any other practical things I can do to enhance my knowledge for this profession?
Just torn between the two degrees, and would appreciate some feedback.
Cheers.

Definitely. Work shadow, perhaps get a part time job even in a gym as a receptionist. Degrees are expensive and time consuming - take some time before going to university if you need to learn more about yourself.
Maybe volunteer at your local hospital if they have an outpatient centre too. I have been once a week a few months and have a really good Idea on what the job entails.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending