The Student Room Group

Graduate/Undergrad Medicine (No science background) Help!

Hiya,

I'm 25, I have a BA (hons) 2:1 in a creative arts subject however since graduatiing I have realised I want to pursue medicine. I have not stepped foot in a science class since GCSE. Is there anyway to get into med school with this kind of background?

I would be willing to study biology & chemistry a-level, would these be necessary for graduate entry?

I'm currently volunteering on the cancer ward at my local hospital and looking to gain more experience.

Am I crazy? I would also realistically be 27/28 by the time I go to med school, is this too old?

I would appreciate any advice from people who have perhaps been in a similar position!
Reply 1
Original post by Volibear
1) There are graduate entry courses that accept any degree and don't care about your A-levels.
2) You're not too old. People go into medicine in their 40s.
3) There are plenty of threads and online resources that will help you. You just have to look at them. There are also ~13 GEP running medical schools so it won't take you long to narrow down which ones you can apply to based on your qualifications. This book is my bible: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Graduate-Entry-Medicine-Study-Text/dp/1472745582/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_t_0/261-0939499-1427412?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=2MKGN6YXQZMKZYWNAZD1
4) Don't think about normal entry medicine unless you can afford it.

Thanks for the quick reply.

That book looks awesome, i'll be grabbing that straight away

Are you currently studying on a graduate entry course?
Original post by zoews
Hiya,

I'm 25, I have a BA (hons) 2:1 in a creative arts subject however since graduatiing I have realised I want to pursue medicine. I have not stepped foot in a science class since GCSE. Is there anyway to get into med school with this kind of background?

I would be willing to study biology & chemistry a-level, would these be necessary for graduate entry?

I'm currently volunteering on the cancer ward at my local hospital and looking to gain more experience.

Am I crazy? I would also realistically be 27/28 by the time I go to med school, is this too old?

I would appreciate any advice from people who have perhaps been in a similar position!

Yep - entirely possible! :smile: I had some of the right subjects (Biology A-level and Chemistry AS, which I did after I'd left secondary school) and an English degree when I went into Medicine.

As Volibear says, there are a couple of grad med programmes that will take you with an arts degree. If you're willing to study for science A-levels, that would broaden your options (as you could apply for any undergrad course, which is what I did) but you do have to remember it would be more expensive to do the 5-year route than the 4-year GEM course. If you don't fancy doing A-levels, there are also foundation medical degrees (the normal 5-year degree with a preliminary year in which you cover the necessary A-level standard science to get you up to speed) designed precisely for people who don't have the right A-levels. Lots of options!

And you definitely wouldn't be too old. I was 25 when I started and there were several older than me (a couple of people in their late twenties, and another couple in their mid-thirties). Good luck (and welcome to the club of weird people who come to Medicine via a circuitous route!) :smile:
Reply 3
29yo first year GEM student with an Arts degree here. You will need to sit the GAMSAT which is a mammoth of a task, but entirely doable. I'd recommend Griffiths GAMSAT Review as a solid starting point. Then, using the syllabus outlined in that, and whether you prefer books/videos/websites I'd look for suitable avenues to learn the sciences from there. Also worth sitting the UKCAT for Warwick (where I am) as it has the best applicant : place ratio for a GEM course.

Try and get a part-time HCA job in a hospital - invaluable experience! The more acute the better!

If you have any more specific questions feel free to PM me :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Marathi
29yo first year GEM student with an Arts degree here. You will need to sit the GAMSAT which is a mammoth of a task, but entirely doable. I'd recommend Griffiths GAMSAT Review as a solid starting point. Then, using the syllabus outlined in that, and whether you prefer books/videos/websites I'd look for suitable avenues to learn the sciences from there. Also worth sitting the UKCAT for Warwick (where I am) as it has the best applicant : place ratio for a GEM course.

Try and get a part-time HCA job in a hospital - invaluable experience! The more acute the better!

If you have any more specific questions feel free to PM me :smile:

Thanks for your reply :smile: That's awesome to hear, I hope you're enjoying your first year!

Did you already have science A-Levels or did you sit the GAMSAT without them? Would it be possible to study for a-levels/GAMSAT whilst holding down a job & volunteer work at the same time? I've heard horror stories about the amount of learning time GAMSAT requires (especially for someone like me)
Reply 5
Original post by zoews
Thanks for your reply :smile: That's awesome to hear, I hope you're enjoying your first year!

Did you already have science A-Levels or did you sit the GAMSAT without them? Would it be possible to study for a-levels/GAMSAT whilst holding down a job & volunteer work at the same time? I've heard horror stories about the amount of learning time GAMSAT requires (especially for someone like me)

Yes it's great thanks! :smile: I won't lie it's a lot of work, but really enjoyable.

I hadn't done any science since GCSE and then I only achieved C's. Admittedly I sat the GAMSAT a few times, but I was working full-time, had a part-time care job for experience, and volunteered a few hours a week for experience too. After my first application (applied 3 times!) I threw the towel in on my design/marketing job and became a full-time HCA, so I stopped doing my volunteering (as it was at the hospital where I was now a HCA). So that made it a bit easier!

It varies from person to person. I had to study a LOT for it, but it has really helped with the course so far (even though Warwick doesn't require GAMSAT, I'm really glad I sat it because there is a lot of science!). I was studying on average 3-4 hours a day, it was very gruelling. But I found revisiting biology and chemistry incredibly interesting, and thinking about how the science would work in a clinical context really helped spur me on with studying.

Some people manage 1-2hours a day and still do incredibly well. The one good thing we have going for us as arts grads, is that we tend to be able to do the first two sections of the exam with less revision than the scientists. So everything isn't against you!

If money is of little concern to you, I would recommend having a crack at the March sitting of the GAMSAT. This would give you some good prep for the September sitting of the day as a whole, and who knows you might smash it and not need to do the September one. If blowing £250 on an exam for a trial run seems a bit mad (as it did for me) then I would recommend starting revision for the September exam in the New Year (enjoy the Christmas holidays!) doing a minimum of 1-2hours a day.

Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Marathi
Yes it's great thanks! :smile: I won't lie it's a lot of work, but really enjoyable.

I hadn't done any science since GCSE and then I only achieved C's. Admittedly I sat the GAMSAT a few times, but I was working full-time, had a part-time care job for experience, and volunteered a few hours a week for experience too. After my first application (applied 3 times!) I threw the towel in on my design/marketing job and became a full-time HCA, so I stopped doing my volunteering (as it was at the hospital where I was now a HCA). So that made it a bit easier!

It varies from person to person. I had to study a LOT for it, but it has really helped with the course so far (even though Warwick doesn't require GAMSAT, I'm really glad I sat it because there is a lot of science!). I was studying on average 3-4 hours a day, it was very gruelling. But I found revisiting biology and chemistry incredibly interesting, and thinking about how the science would work in a clinical context really helped spur me on with studying.

Some people manage 1-2hours a day and still do incredibly well. The one good thing we have going for us as arts grads, is that we tend to be able to do the first two sections of the exam with less revision than the scientists. So everything isn't against you!

If money is of little concern to you, I would recommend having a crack at the March sitting of the GAMSAT. This would give you some good prep for the September sitting of the day as a whole, and who knows you might smash it and not need to do the September one. If blowing £250 on an exam for a trial run seems a bit mad (as it did for me) then I would recommend starting revision for the September exam in the New Year (enjoy the Christmas holidays!) doing a minimum of 1-2hours a day.

That gives me a lot of hope, how long did it take you to study for it & did you attend any classes etc? I'm not sure where to start really because, like you, I haven't done science since GCSE and my science classes were not the best back then so I have no clue which text books to start with, I feel like jumping in at GAMSAT level would be like finding a torch in the dark. The first two sections don't sound as scary though, I think you're right- arts grads probably find them slightly easier to catch up with!

Thanks again!
Reply 7
Original post by zoews
That gives me a lot of hope, how long did it take you to study for it & did you attend any classes etc? I'm not sure where to start really because, like you, I haven't done science since GCSE and my science classes were not the best back then so I have no clue which text books to start with, I feel like jumping in at GAMSAT level would be like finding a torch in the dark. The first two sections don't sound as scary though, I think you're right- arts grads probably find them slightly easier to catch up with!

Thanks again!

The first time I sat it, I studied about 9 months altogether. I started with the ‘for dummies’ series which helped refresh what I learnt at gcse and set a good foundation. I then used the Gold Standard GAMSAT book, which was nice as it had everything in one place, and online question banks. But, it did have mistakes in and was a bit soft in some sections.

Some people recommend the Letts revise AS/A2 books. They’re pretty heavy and cover more than necessary. But if you use the Griffiths GAMSAT review to guide you then that should be fine. YouTube and some other websites (I liked MCAT review) have a lot of great resources too.

I hired a personal tutor for a few sessions prior to my first sitting. This was helpful for just talking things through and reassuring myself that I understood something.

The second and third times I sat the exam I revised for about 4 months.

Original post by zoews
Hiya,

Hi. Its great to see someone trying to pursue their heart. Just out of interest how are you planning on funding this venture into medicine? Because as far as I'm aware if you've already done a degree and then want to do a second one which would also be undergrad you'll have to self fund it.
Both GEM and normal entry are undergraduate courses. GEM is funded by SFE and NHS bursary except for ~£3500 you pay in your first year. Normal entry is paid fully by you except for your final year.

How difficult are these GEM courses to get on?
Reply 10
Original post by Marathi
The first time I sat it, I studied about 9 months altogether. I started with the ‘for dummies’ series which helped refresh what I learnt at gcse and set a good foundation. I then used the Gold Standard GAMSAT book, which was nice as it had everything in one place, and online question banks. But, it did have mistakes in and was a bit soft in some sections.

Some people recommend the Letts revise AS/A2 books. They’re pretty heavy and cover more than necessary. But if you use the Griffiths GAMSAT review to guide you then that should be fine. YouTube and some other websites (I liked MCAT review) have a lot of great resources too.

I hired a personal tutor for a few sessions prior to my first sitting. This was helpful for just talking things through and reassuring myself that I understood something.

The second and third times I sat the exam I revised for about 4 months.

I actuallly ordered a couple of 'for dummies books' so I think i'll start there. My partner is great at science so i'm hoping I can convince him to tutor me also aha!
Reply 11
Both GEM and normal entry are undergraduate courses. GEM is funded by SFE and NHS bursary except for ~£3500 you pay in your first year. Normal entry is paid fully by you except for your final year.

So you can apply for/ get funding from the NHS OR SFE even if you already have an undergrad degree?

Latest

Trending

Trending