The Student Room Group

Further Maths for Economics

I wanna study Economics at LSE or UCL and am wondering if, although it’s not explicitly stated, further maths is basically essential for me to be a competitive candidate .
FM is a risk for me because, although I’m very good at maths, I’m not sure my level is quite at FM level.
Wld it be bad if say I got A*AAB predicted grades (Maths, Spanish, Economics, FM)? As in, should I just not do FM to make sure I get my A* in normal maths and maybe another one of economics and Spanish?
So what’s better, A*AAB with (Maths, eco, Spanish and FM) or A*A*A (
Maths, eco and Spanish)
i've just applied to competitive universities for Economics without having further maths a-level, and whilst i believe i have a decentish excuse for not doing it (i wasn't allowed to pick more than 3 A-Levels), i still wish i had done it. i would say that anyone who is good at time management, and who is good at maths GCSE, has all the capability to do well at further maths during a-level. even if you don't believe your maths is on FM level right now, all it really requires is practise to get a good grade in it.

i self-taught myself some further maths over the summer, just out of curiosity and boredom, and truthfully it wasn't too bad at all as long as you put in work. no university requires you to do four a-levels, so if you feel as if you wouldn't be able to balance out four subjects, i'd suggest go with three, and get top grades in them. but if you're willing and committed, there's no reason you can't do equally well if you picked four. don't deter yourself from picking further maths just because you feel as if you'll do bad in it, because that won't be the case if you put in the effort :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by ashaxo99
i've just applied to competitive universities for Economics without having further maths a-level, and whilst i believe i have a decentish excuse for not doing it (i wasn't allowed to pick more than 3 A-Levels), i still wish i had done it. i would say that anyone who is good at time management, and who is good at maths GCSE, has all the capability to do well at further maths during a-level. even if you don't believe your maths is on FM level right now, all it really requires is practise to get a good grade in it.

i self-taught myself some further maths over the summer, just out of curiosity and boredom, and truthfully it wasn't too bad at all as long as you put in work. no university requires you to do four a-levels, so if you feel as if you wouldn't be able to balance out four subjects, i'd suggest go with three, and get top grades in them. but if you're willing and committed, there's no reason you can't do equally well if you picked four. don't deter yourself from picking further maths just because you feel as if you'll do bad in it, because that won't be the case if you put in the effort :smile:

Yeah that’s what I was thinking; I’m sure I will work hard if I do it, but sometimes hard work doesn’t necessarily result to a high grade. A lot of the time it’s natural talent too I think. It’s good though, that my school gives me the option to drop it after a few months if I’m struggling, so that’s a nice little option too.
Thanks.
Reply 3

Also, what Unis did you apply for?
no problem :smile: i get what you mean about the natural talent bit, although you do sound good at maths! a lot of it is just exam technique too, seeing as they repeat the same questions each and every year (although it might be different now since i'm assuming you'll be doing the new two year specification!).

the competitive universities i applied to for econ are cambridge, LSE and nottingham. i have an offer from nottingham, LSE are still looking at my application (they really like to take their time loool) and i have an interview at cam soon (some how lmao)
Reply 5
Original post by ashaxo99
no problem :smile: i get what you mean about the natural talent bit, although you do sound good at maths! a lot of it is just exam technique too, seeing as they repeat the same questions each and every year (although it might be different now since i'm assuming you'll be doing the new two year specification!).

the competitive universities i applied to for econ are cambridge, LSE and nottingham. i have an offer from nottingham, LSE are still looking at my application (they really like to take their time loool) and i have an interview at cam soon (some how lmao)

Man that’s sick.
Respect bro.

Quick Reply

Latest