The Student Room Group

will this be held against me?

hey guys

in my SAQ to Cambridge, i had written about the difficulties i have currently at college. i do not believe the teaching quality is good, i have to practically self-teach one of my a-levels, i feel very, very unsupported, and the environment is a terrible place to be in - all in my own opinion, of course. however, i do think what i am saying is somewhat supported by how bad my college's ofsted report was last year (we got inadequate), which i mentioned in the SAQ.

we got inspected again recently and the report has just been published. we received 'good'. this highly frustrates me because i cannot even begin to describe how deeply i disagree with this. during inspection week, the lessons were highly unrepresentative of what learning is actually like - you could see the tragic deterioration in teaching quality the next week when ofsted were no longer around. furthermore, i know my college was highly preparing the week in advance of this inspection, because we had the teachers tell us about it every lesson. in fact, one of my friends said that a teacher of hers had pre-planned a script for lessons in case that class was inspected..... um, like?

this annoys me because my college is truthfully a terrible place to learn (in my opinion), but now i'm scared that everything i have mentioned in my SAQ will make me look like a liar. that really upsets me because my college is insanely crap, and it's just sad and unfair that they are receiving credit for what isn't true. should i be worried about what i have written in my SAQ? as now it just looks as if i am lying
Surely not because at the time you wrote it they had not been promoted to "good".
May i ask where in particular you study
Reply 3
Generally dragging the name of an academic institution through the mud, even if it is true, is generally considered poor show on an application.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by 22sgw
Generally dragging the name of an academic institution through the mud, even if it is true, is generally considered poor show on an application.

the question asked me about any difficulties i had encountered - i was just telling the truth (and i would imagine they wouldn't even ask in the first place if they didn't want the truth). side note to clear up any misconceptions: i wasn't shaming my institution in my SAQ, although i may be disapproving of them here on TSR (as i am particularly aggravated at this moment in time)
Reply 5
Original post by ashaxo99
the question asked me about any difficulties i had encountered - i was just telling the truth (and i would imagine they wouldn't even ask in the first place if they didn't want the truth). side note to clear up any misconceptions: i wasn't shaming my institution in my SAQ, although i may be disapproving of them here on TSR (as i am particularly aggravated at this moment in time)

You should have diplomatically answered the question giving half-truths and how you adapted to the situation. e.g. Instead of saying that your teacher didn't teach you well enough and was a bit rubbish, you have said that you found some areas difficult to grasp in a certain subject and that you went away and reviewed your notes to fully understand the subject matter clarifying these points with the teacher when you next back in class.
Reply 6
Original post by 22sgw
You should have diplomatically answered the question giving half-truths and how you adapted to the situation. e.g. Instead of saying that your teacher didn't teach you well enough and was a bit rubbish, you have said that you found some areas difficult to grasp in a certain subject and that you went away and reviewed your notes to fully understand the subject matter clarifying these points with the teacher when you next back in class.

thanks, i just re-read my SAQ and i did mention something along those lines :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest