The Student Room Group

Returning to uni after dropping out

Hi

I have applied to uni directly through clearing and have an interview for in a couple of weeks time. I have been on this course before ( I was only there for three months of year 1 ) a few years ago and messed up by dropping out ( genuine reason but the way I left wasn’t great ). On the application form ( not ucas but the uni itself ) I only mentioned the access course I did that got me onto the course the first time. I am going to prepare as best I can for this interview but do I explain that I have been on this course before? They may already know as it’s the same uni and same course but I really don’t know the best way to address this. Has anyone been in a similar situation please?

Thanks x
Original post by Anunnaki043
Hi

I have applied to uni directly through clearing and have an interview for in a couple of weeks time. I have been on this course before ( I was only there for three months of year 1 ) a few years ago and messed up by dropping out ( genuine reason but the way I left wasn’t great ). On the application form ( not ucas but the uni itself ) I only mentioned the access course I did that got me onto the course the first time. I am going to prepare as best I can for this interview but do I explain that I have been on this course before? They may already know as it’s the same uni and same course but I really don’t know the best way to address this. Has anyone been in a similar situation please?

Thanks x

UCAS requires you to declare all prior study, even if you did not receive a qualification. Did you not declare your prior degree level study? Your application may be considered fraudulent if so.

That aside, universities usually realise students may find that circumstances mean studying at degree level is not right for them at a certain time but then return later having addressed those. Typically a "false start" isn't held against students although as its the same course they would probably want to understand if there were any academic concerns originally and if so whether anything has been done to ameliorate those or demonstrate they are unlikely to reoccur.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
UCAS requires you to declare all prior study, even if you did not receive a qualification. Did you not declare your prior degree level study? Your application may be considered fraudulent if so.

That aside, universities usually realise students may find that circumstances mean studying at degree level is not right for them at a certain time but then return later having addressed those. Typically a "false start" isn't held against students although as its the same course they would probably want to understand if there were any academic concerns originally and if so whether anything has been done to ameliorate those or demonstrate they are unlikely to reoccur.

Thanks for replying

I didn’t apply through UCAS, it was just a brief form on the university’s website and only asked for qualifications so I only added my GCSE’s and Access course to it

Panicking a bit now though
Original post by Anunnaki043
Thanks for replying

I didn’t apply through UCAS, it was just a brief form on the university’s website and only asked for qualifications so I only added my GCSE’s and Access course to it

Panicking a bit now though

Depends on what the form asked for then.

They aside as noted it's not necessarily a barrier if they are confident that you are able to cope with the course now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending