The Student Room Group

Query about Driving Test

I know that during your driving test that if you were to mount a kerb, it would result in an instant fail.

But if an emergency vehicle were to be driving past, and we'll say for the sake of the example that it's a thin road. Obviously you'd try to make space for them but the ONLY possible way to give them enough space to get past would require you to mount the kerb, what would you do??

It's a question that really confuses me because you're told to always let an emergency vehicle go past but also told to never mount a kerb, which makes a really conflicting decision.

Thanks for any help
(edited 1 year ago)
Personally in that situation I would ask the examiner, awareness of the situation is key. ‘I am aware mounting a kurb is generally unacceptable however in this situation I feel I have no other option in order to let the vehicle pass will this be held against me?’

Emergency vehicles often mount Kurbs to get passed people anyway so if you can slide into a space and not mount the kurb, they can go round you on the other side and will basically drive on the pavement if necessary. Ask your instructor aswell before the date. Someone’s life could be on the line so as long as you 100% check the pavement before pulling into it to ensure there’s no pedestrians I can’t see it being an issue. Just like technically you aren’t meant to go through a red light to let emergency vehicles passed however in practise as long as it’s safe you need to ensure that vehicle can get through no matter what!
Mounting a kerb is not necessarily a serious fault; it depends on other factors such as how high the kerb is, how far over it you go, whether it's a back or front wheel and the speed you're going at the time.

Don't worry about an emergency vehicle on test. Examiners are trained to give advice in situations such as to keep things safe. There's a book on amazon called 'the driving test & how to pass', grab yourself a copy and it should answer a lot of questions you may have.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending