The Student Room Group

Avoid Bannits like the plague

For anyone who doesn't know, Bannits are one of the student house letting agencies in Oxford. I thought here was as good a place as any to share some awful experiences, and seriously advise anyone who hasn't yet rented for next year to avoid them.

We've always had terrible problems getting them to come and fix things in the house, including not having a bathroom light (one of those strange ones the have in schools, not one we could really fix) as they kept saying they'd sent someone to fix it and never did. In the end my friends dad managed to repair it.

It culminated last night however, when we got home at 11 to find our fire alarm system box flashing and beeping (quite loudly) every five seconds to warn us of a fault. So, after pressing all the 'silence' and 'off' buttons to no affect, we rang the Bannits '24 hour emergency helpline' which would supposedly put us straight through to the emergency team. We got an answering machine.
So I rang the number suggested for fire alarm problems by the answerphone message. No answer. Tried several more times, and several today. Still no answer.
Also tried the phone number on the box, which was stuck up on their house safety poster - number not recognised.
So I rang the supposed 24 hour helpline, to leave a message, as the message claimed that someone would get back to you if you left your contact details. It cuts you off right after the beep.
So, after a night of hearing this alarm going off, I'm furious at Bannits, and the fact that it probably won't be fixed until Monday at the earliest.
The other two houses I know who rent with bannits have said they're useless.
Our house is also mouldy, damp, cold etc.
So I would strongly advise against ever, EVER renting a house with them!

Incidentally, if anyone has ideas on silencing the alarm, short of beating it with a steel pole (and I'm tempted to) they'd be very welcome. None of the buttons seem to have the slightest effect, nor does turning it off!! Gah.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
shinyhappy
Incidentally, if anyone has ideas on silencing the alarm, short of beating it with a steel pole (and I'm tempted to) they'd be very welcome. None of the buttons seem to have the slightest effect, nor does turning it off!! Gah.

If you have access to the actual alarm itself just power it down/short it....
Reply 2
Do you have a key anywhere? Mine requires you to put a key in and turn it to... oh something that means sorting-stuff-out... and it's only then that the buttons start working :frown:
If the alarm is still noisy you could snip the wires or otherwise shut it up and, I understand, the need to abate a public nuisance excuses the damage done.
Reply 4
Thank you for the replies.
I have the key - I have turned it to the off position, it keeps beeping.
I have unscrewed and removed the fuse from the little box above it saying 'fire alarm power supply - do not turn off', it keeps beeping.
I have turned off the electricity off on the ground floor (where the box is) and it keeps beeping, presumably it's on a different circuit.
I haven't yet found any wires to cut, or I'd be sorely tempted.

Anyone would think they wanted you to take notice of the fact that your fire alarm was faulty XD

But keep ideas coming, am very grateful!
Reply 5
See if you can google the name of the manufacturer of the alarm system and phone them up, perhaps?
Reply 6
Oh, and if they consistantly fail to sort problems they're supposed to (as in, written in the contract) and you're having to pay for things yourselves small claims courts are good at sorting things quickly and cheaply- you don't need a lawyer, and costs about £30 which you get back when you win your case.
Reply 7
This reminds me of a freinds episode... on a related note, I've found NOPS to be fairly useless as well. Are there any good companies anyone could recommend?
Does the alarm box have a load of numbers on it like a telephone pad? If so try typing in 1234 as a code then press any button that says something sounding like it'll silence the beeping.

A long shot, but that's what I had to do at my house.
Reply 9
twistme
Are there any good companies anyone could recommend?

Premier - we've got on very well with.
A bit slow at sorting some things (but more frivolous things that are non essential e.g. issues agreed on the inventory like furnishing, so fair enough & got them all done in the end!) but when we've called the emergency line someone's come out ASAP.
The alarm almost certainly has battery back-up. Hence the continued beeping.
Reply 11
Reply 12

Haha, that's brilliant, i just made all my housemates watch that, thank you :smile:
Reply 13
thomasjtl
See if you can google the name of the manufacturer of the alarm system and phone them up, perhaps?

I've tried, but the company seems not to exist any more. We get the same details that are written on the wall poster, which come up as an unrecognised number.
Interesting about the small claims court, I shall bear that in mind, thank you!
Reply 14
Good bloke
The alarm almost certainly has battery back-up. Hence the continued beeping.

If we could get in side it (it's a big metal box that unscrews at the front to open up) do you reckon we'd have access to the battery to remove it? We have tried unscrewing the front flap, although I'm sure we're not supposed to. No luck so far, but it looks like we could get in there with a very, very small allen key...
It is a possibility.
I recommend Oxford Letting & Property Management. Sure, they look like a couple of slightly shady Middle Eastern coke importers, but they're very relaxing to rent with. Rent a few weeks late? Hey, no worries, whenever you can. Washing machine broken? Repair man comes round within a few days. Throughly good eggs.
Reply 17
Have you made sure that your house isn't on fire?
The trick with Bannits and repairs is two-fold.

1) The first clue is in their spiel that no-one ever reads. When you call up to report a complaint, you have to get a log number (and I think you might be able to get an estimated date as well). Their spiel reads "If you do not get a log number, your report is not on our system and will not have been recorded by us." The people on the end of the phone clearly take advantage of the fact that nobody knows this, so nobody asks for a log number, so they don't put it in the system, and they don't have to deal with it.

2) My housemate complained to the Bannits representative when they were showing prospective tenants our house :P We had a repair man round within the day :biggrin:
Reply 19
I'm currently renting with Bannits.
Deffo avoid!!!!!
been here a month and they've done nothing and promise things we never get etc just generally appualing.
I've complained to head office and hopefully they'll get their act together. But I will not be staying another year and wouldn't recommend it to anyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending