The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE="djmarkmclachlan"]1) Has been mentioned by a few posters, not just yourself, but you do NOT need 2 (you said 3??) A-Levels to be eligible for officer ("picky" aircrew branches, inclusive). As you said, historically, officers had degrees - but histroically there was class-segregation, too. It's a different age now, and you do not need to be the "normal" route to prove your worth. The requirement for 2 A-Levels/ 3 Scottish Highers is no longer the case, because the military have jumped onboard the university's method of calculating a person's ability to learn - by way of the UCAS Tariff. (2 Highers is the equivalent, by the way; not 4).

2) Wondering why it is that, unless you have family ties (so what?) or aim to fly a certain aircraft only available to that service (I'd assume Lynx MK7 (Navy)/ Apache (Army), as the FA2 is sadly aloss - and I can't think of any others...) you'd only apply for the RAF? You are aware that there is much more to being a pilot than just flying - be that in the RAF, RN, or Army. Perhaps someone wants to fly, but has a liking for the Sea? Perhaps someone has aspired to be a soldier since a young age, but likes the look of flying, equally? Perhaps they just have an feeling towards one of the other services over the RAF - the RM, say. And, I'm not sure what worth it is giving your own personal motivations (not least being that they are rather unorthodox) towards such a decision, implying it is the norm, when someone could take what you say and make a bad decision based upon your input.

3)]/b] Your PPL idea is a bad one. Do it if you wish to fly civilian aircraft; if you have no interest in Cessna's then don't go near it. The selection boards at any of the forces won't be awed by your choice to spend your money attaining a PPL. Join a UAS and do some flying, maybe - it'll be a lot more beneficial.

1) You need either 2 A Levels OR EQUIVALENT IN UCAS POINTS through NVQs/GNVQs etc. I'm am not aufait with the latter so cannot comment. The IB is also an equivalent. If you do not have IB or GNVQs you MUST have 2 A Levels to be even considered for entry. DJMark I think tried to get that across but did't highlight the 'equivalent' bit much.

2) A lot of people apply to only the RAF - absolutey nothing wrong with it. Make sure that if you do't go to uni/UAS etc. that you organise plent of visits and chat to the guys to make sure it is what you want to do. Family ties don't just restrict you to your that service - ask BH! I'm lucky enough to have family ties in all 3 services.

3) If you want to go ahead and spend your money on a PPL OP, then go for it. I can honestly say it will be of little benefit to you during flying training. You would be better off getting a few air experience flights with a flying club or joining a UAS rather than waving goodbye to thousands of pounds to somthing that you can pay a couple of hundred for after EFT to convert your EFT into a PPL :wink:
However - you can apply for various flying scholarships from the Air League and GAPAN. The board might be a little but more taken by the fact you paid for some of your PPL by spending the weekend washing aircraft at your local club and by doing a paper round and a job in your local supermarket during the week, for example but were also selected to be awarded a 20 hour scholarship from GAPAN. All this while you helped coach the Under-9 Cricket team in your village.
Reply 41
Hopefull
I will go now and promise never to darker the door of this forum again.

I am sorry people do not agree with what I am saying and I do not wish to make enemies. However it is clear to me from what I have read it is a case of anything said must be fact and we all must follow it.

Should you say something that another disagrees with you are torn to pieces, what is the point,

Just what is the bloody point?

If after 10 years in the RAF, you're still so immature to throw the toys out the pram when someone argues with you, then all I have to say is Cya!
Reply 42
Hello
I am wondering, if applicants with filled teeth, who apply to the RAF for Pilots, would be successful in the Medical tests?

Many Thanks :smile:
Alex
Reply 43
Alexluis
Hello
I am wondering, if applicants with filled teeth, who apply to the RAF for Pilots, would be successful in the Medical tests?

Many Thanks :smile:
Alex

Shouldn't have fillings at your age! :eek:
Hmmm ... I wonder if you can feel the fillings at high Gs? Anyone know the answer to that? (Not as in, oh look I have a filling there, but have more weight on the bottom jaw/pulling on the top teeth).

To answer you question, I have never heard of anyone being rejected on the ground of dental work.
Fillings are not a problem.
Reply 46
Hello.
Yes, Mason, so?
Don´t you have filled teeth?:eek:
Thanks for the answers :smile:

Cheers
Alex
Reply 47
No I don't have any, how dare you. :eek:
Reply 48
That´s good then Mason!
Continue like that :smile:
Cheers

Alex
Reply 49
Alexluis
Hello.
Yes, Mason, so?
Don´t you have filled teeth?:eek:
Thanks for the answers :smile:

Cheers
Alex

I have no fillings in my teeth and I'm 18 :wink:

My parents didn't let me have any sweets until I was 10 years old :frown:
I have to say, in my experience the RAF dentists are filling fiends! Maybe I wasn't as good at cleaning my teeth as I thought, but the RAF dentists have given me loads of fillings :frown: Mind you, part of their thinking is that you really don't want to be flying with tooth ache or deployed for 6 months with a dodgy tooth, so they get in and sort it immediately.
Reply 51
Hello
Oh..I see.
Thats good ! :smile:
I am thinking on applying to a Sixth Form Schorlaship, but don´t know when I can though! Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks
Best Regards

Alex
Reply 52
Alexluis
Hello
Oh..I see.
Thats good ! :smile:
I am thinking on applying to a Sixth Form Schorlaship, but don´t know when I can though! Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks
Best Regards

Alex

I think yourself too late for the 6th Form Scholarship for this year but I can't confirm this. I know that they where getting all the 6th form scholar ready before Xmas. You might have missed the deadline.

Best thing to do is to ring AFCO.
threeportdrift
I have to say, in my experience the RAF dentists are filling fiends! Maybe I wasn't as good at cleaning my teeth as I thought, but the RAF dentists have given me loads of fillings :frown: Mind you, part of their thinking is that you really don't want to be flying with tooth ache or deployed for 6 months with a dodgy tooth, so they get in and sort it immediately.

I don't know if it's true or not, but I've also read that fillings are bad for the sudden drops and increases of pressure that occur when flying because the air can expand in the little gaps leading to lots of pain.
threeportdrift

I think it's on your first dental visit at IOT isn't it?! Many friends of mine have acquired 'fillings'.

Best thing to do is see a dentist at home and get fisher (sp?!) caps. They're white and don't hurt :wink:
Captainusa
I don't know if it's true or not, but I've also read that fillings are bad for the sudden drops and increases of pressure that occur when flying because the air can expand in the little gaps leading to lots of pain.

It's the infections that are bad, creating cavities that can cause problems in the event of depressurisation. Which is why an abscess is dug out immediately etc. Fillings shouldn't have gaps under them, however you will be x-rayed on your yearly check-ups and any that do will be replaced within about 20 minutes :biggrin:
Reply 56
Hi
Yeah..My filling are white. They do not use the old school grey filling anymore, just of course, if you want to! :smile:

Cheers

Alex
Reply 57
I just called the RAF CAREERS, and they told me that the best time to phone them was in July/August.

Alex
white fillings are very common. The fisher caps I was talking about are not actually fillings but protect the tooth from developing fillings - not that I'm saying I'm incapable of cleaning my teeth, I'd just prefer not to have to have a filling EVER!
Reply 59
Hey
Yeah...I understand :smile:
Thanks for the advice InaSpin :wink:

Alex

Latest