The Student Room Group

First year wanting to withdraw!

Hi, basically I started my undergrad course September this year so I'm a first year. I am wanting to withdraw because I'm struggling and really unhappy being at Uni. I also have a 3 year old son and a family member whose got a terminal illness so I've a lot of stress and can't cope. As im a single parent I get the highest amount of SF, maintenance loan & I also get a grant that I don't have to go pay back. I went to the withdraw page and it said I'd have to pay the Uni £2300 roughly. Does this come out when I'm earning £21k like ST does or is it different. Stupidly I have spent a lot of money and don't have even £1500 left on my student account so if they want the money immediately I physically can't do it? What do I do? Can someone help me please I'm desperate and anxious! TIA.
Original post by weathergirl96
Hi, basically I started my undergrad course September this year so I'm a first year. I am wanting to withdraw because I'm struggling and really unhappy being at Uni. I also have a 3 year old son and a family member whose got a terminal illness so I've a lot of stress and can't cope. As im a single parent I get the highest amount of SF, maintenance loan & I also get a grant that I don't have to go pay back. I went to the withdraw page and it said I'd have to pay the Uni £2300 roughly. Does this come out when I'm earning £21k like ST does or is it different. Stupidly I have spent a lot of money and don't have even £1500 left on my student account so if they want the money immediately I physically can't do it? What do I do? Can someone help me please I'm desperate and anxious! TIA.

Im sure they wont want it immediately though?
Original post by Lychee628
Im sure they wont want it immediately though?

It wouldn't be fair if they Did, they can't expect students to have that much money left?
It wouldn't be fair if they Did, they can't expect students to have that much money left?

Maybe you should of been more careful

But students only pay a little bit after uni even when they are working, like even the bit they pay after they are earning 21k+ is really small but you could ring them tbh
Thanks for your 'helpful remark.
Original post by Lychee628
But students only pay a little bit after uni even when they are working, like even the bit they pay after they are earning 21k+ is really small but you could ring them tbh

Yeah exactly, you'd think this would be the same! Probably the best idea.
Yeah exactly, you'd think this would be the same! Probably the best idea.

It should be the same yes
Guys - keep it friendly please.

OP - if you can't afford to pay it back, talk to SFE about a repayment plan.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Guys - keep it friendly please.

OP - if you can't afford to pay it back, talk to SFE about a repayment plan.

I read on a different Uni's site that I wouldn't pay it back until I was on £21k anyways regardless as to when I left?

If you leave partway through a term you do have to pay a proportion of student finance back straight away.
Original post by jelly1000
If you leave partway through a term you do have to pay a proportion of student finance back straight away.

But how can I pay it back immediately if I don't even have that money? I can't ask my parents and I hate borrowing money from my family as it is, even £20. It's not fair, it should be treated the same as if you finish your degree. Lots of people drop out because they can't afford Uni as it is.
But how can I pay it back immediately if I don't even have that money? I can't ask my parents and I hate borrowing money from my family as it is, even £20. It's not fair, it should be treated the same as if you finish your degree. Lots of people drop out because they can't afford Uni as it is.

You can agree a repayment plan with student finance to pay a small amount back. When student finance pay you at the start of the term it is to cover your costs as a student. If you aren't a student the whole term you aren't entitled to student finance for the whole term.

This is the way it works.

1. You should formally withdraw from uni following their procedure.
2. As you talk about struggling and illness, then I would see your GP about stress, anxiety and maybe depression to get a letter in future to verify you were having difficulties.
3. Also see welfare support and then your persona tutor to state you are having trouble and wish to withdraw.
4. By giving them a medical and family reason it may help in future if you will return. Its a small amount of time and could be of great use to you in the future.

5. You arent clear as to how the uni reaches the £2,300 figure? is it for fees or accommodation? If you dont know, then see a student advisor.
6. Debts to the uni are different from debts to SFE. Debts to uni are like normal debts and they will seek to recover the money from you immediately. Obviously you cant pay, so you will just have to make an offer or ask them to postpone. If you dont know how to make an offer, then talk to: Student advisor, CAB or stepchange.

They cant have what you cant afford, they just want to know they will be paid sometime.

https://www.stepchange.org/Howwecanhelpyou/Debtadvice.aspx
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/how-we-provide-advice/advice/search-for-your-local-citizens-advice/
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/help-with-debt/

7. If you go through stepchange which helps you organise incomings and out goings or CAB will do the same, then they will see you cant afford and you can make them a small monthly offer? £10-20 a month?

8. It sounds as though the debt is to the uni, so the £21,000 is not relevant as thats only to do with SFE/SLC. If you find out what the money is for then it would be possible to advise further about how to handle it.
If for:
i) Fees= step change plus make a small offer. Normally SFE will have paid that.
ii) Accommodation, then find a replacement. Normal debt.
iii) Student loan fees, then the £21k comes into play and is student debt. Nothing to worry about.
iv) Overpayment from SFE- they will ask for any grant money back you arent entitled to i.e 12 week term and you quit after 6 weeks, then they would ask for the six weeks you werent a student back as that money isnt yours.

v) Please note with overpayments you make them an offer. They have discretion to let you have a discretionary payment of 60 days to give yu time to get on your feet if its SFE. Mention doctors, mental health, child and terminal illness.

Just follow the advice I gave and talk to the above people so they can identify the exact issue. Dont worry they cant force you to pay what you dont have.

I think ive covered all the possibilities. Try not to worry and any of the people I suggested should help you.

Take care.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending