The Student Room Group

Edexcel D2; Allocation (assignment) Problems

Hello All,

I wonder if someone can confirm something for me.

I'm working through the Edexcel D2 textbook and I'm currently on the Allocation Problem chapter.

I'm slowly getting my head around this but there is an example in the book that I'm not certain about.

Example 9 (pdf copy attached) is for a maximising problem (using linear programming).

The example explains that in a Maximising problem we minus all the elements from the largest element and proceed as normal; which I understand.

The bit I'm struggling with is on the second page of the attached pdf; the objective function says Minimise. But shouldn't this say Maximise ?

(Or in making the alteration to the vales in the earlier part of the question have we done something that I haven't grasped or fully understood).

I hope this makes sense. Any clarification would be appreciated.

Many Thanks
Original post by Forest10
Hello All,

I wonder if someone can confirm something for me.

I'm working through the Edexcel D2 textbook and I'm currently on the Allocation Problem chapter.

I'm slowly getting my head around this but there is an example in the book that I'm not certain about.

Example 9 (pdf copy attached) is for a maximising problem (using linear programming).

The example explains that in a Maximising problem we minus all the elements from the largest element and proceed as normal; which I understand.

The bit I'm struggling with is on the second page of the attached pdf; the objective function says Minimise. But shouldn't this say Maximise ?

(Or in making the alteration to the vales in the earlier part of the question have we done something that I haven't grasped or fully understood).

I hope this makes sense. Any clarification would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

With the original data you would have been maximising.

Now that you have transformed the matrix, x going to 23-x in each cell, you want to minimize.

With the original data you were maximising the number of names and addresses collected. With the revised matrix, you're effectively minimizing the number of names and addresses they won't collect.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks.

I'm not certain I understand; I will go back over the instructions in the book armed with the information you have provided and see if I can make sense of it.

Thanks for responding.

Quick Reply

Latest