The Student Room Group

Advice about psychology conversion degrees

I am currently researching universities that offer a psychology conversion degree. I am not sure if it would be better for me to apply to a graduate diploma or a masters degree. Can anyone help?

I am also wondering if studying at a masters level will need prior strong research and statistics skills.. I have heard that the drop out rate in such programs is very high, so I am wondering if I am qualified enough..
Original post by MerihanEissa
I am currently researching universities that offer a psychology conversion degree. I am not sure if it would be better for me to apply to a graduate diploma or a masters degree. Can anyone help?

I am also wondering if studying at a masters level will need prior strong research and statistics skills.. I have heard that the drop out rate in such programs is very high, so I am wondering if I am qualified enough..

Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:
Hi, I am also in the same position. I am looking at psychology conversion courses in the UK. I think you will be fine if you have a strength in at least one of the research methods. However, if you have not done quantitative methods before it may be best to do some reading around it- there are plenty of text books online and i'm sure there are plenty of online tutorials on youtube you can look at before starting the course. I also know that some universities have academic development drop ins specifically for the statistical side of things as universities are aware this can be tricky for many students. At this stage, I would advise you to go and visit a couple of open days and speak to lecturers about what you have said above. Hope this helps!
I did a PgDip in Psychology at Aston two years ago. It was heavily statistics-based but if you've done a prior degree/course which has involved statistics or even just maths, it shouldn't be a huge problem. I don't know much about the Masters option but it would obviously be a lot more intense, the workload possibly much higher and more wider reading. From what I've read online, it seems the main difference between PgDip courses and Masters is that only the latter has a research project or dissertation as part of the second semester so it depends how good your report writing is. Though for some reason the PgDip I completed did have a dissertation included, which I don't think is the norm, but it's only given me an advantage.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending