The Student Room Group

I really hate Geography GCSE! Please can I have advice?

I’ve always hated the subject Geography since year 7 and I’m still surprised I chose it as a GCSE subject. I chose it as an option because:
-looks good on CV for University(but it won’t matter if I get a bad grade!)
-the teacher I had since year 7 which made me dislike Geography even more was leaving so I thought i might enjoy it this time- naive I was!
-I thought I could give it a shot and try to enjoy it - but 7+ weeks in Year 10 so far and I hate it.

I don’t want to drop it but I really need advice on what to do please. I did horribly in our first test 15/34 (not even half mark) even though I revised a lot (most of the stuff I revised wasn’t on the test). My goal was to attempt to be “positive” or “optimistic” and think maybe it’s just my first test, next test I’ll do well but it’s GCSE I should be able to perform well.

My Geography teacher likes to throw time consuming homework that my lazy, stupid self starts breaking down stressing about finishing it and not getting on his bad side.

Please! I really desperately want advice about improving in Geography and advice about how to enjoy it. I really don’t want to drop it I still think a little that I can do better! For my first test I got a grade 4 which I think it’s a D. For GCSE I’m predicted a grade 7 which I think it’s an A.

I know I probably sound annoying and lazy,stupid and naive but I don’t want to continue on Geography with a mindset such as mine (breaking down and tearing up about failing).

Also does anyone have study tips for Geography please? I’m doing Edexcel.

Scroll to see replies

Drop it and chose another GCSE. You have time still.
Original post by oliviacjones
Drop it and chose another GCSE. You have time still.

It’s too late for me it’s already December and I was told I only had the first two weeks of September to drop a subject and change. When I wanted to change to Business Studies it was full (T^T!) same with Sociology.
Original post by Capitata
I don't know how much the GCSE has changed, but the most important thing I found was to look at all of the past papers and answer the long questions that involve regurgitating case study information (8 marks) until you get all the points on the markscheme without looking anything up.

With physical geography, just make sure you understand the processes (or remember the steps so that you can get the full marks if a question asks you to explain one).

Geography is perfectly manageable; I thought it would be terrible with all the case studies you have to remember, but most don't even come up in the exam - and you only need to learn a few facts for each case study (I'd say 3 maximum - don't cause too much stress for yourself; though you only need the general idea of what the case study is and how you can relate it to the topic you've studied), which can then be elaborated on and linked to the question.

Don't worry if you find it hard now, the exams get a lot easier once you have had practice and recognise the question types. Remember: exam technique is arguably the most important thing to do well. I got 8 A*s with barely any revision just because I knew what to do in the exam. That is: key words are very important, don't spend too much time on a question - you can use bullet points if you write slowly, it won't lose marks - and the number of marks the question is worth correlates to how many points you should make, so 3 marks = 3 points/steps, though higher mark questions usually only need 3 points explained in detail).

Just don't give up now. You are only in Year 10. Wait until you get to A Level...

Thank you so much for your reply! I’ll try my best to not give up (^~^). Since it’s almost the Christmas holidays I’ll look over some practice papers. I’ve made a mind map for two case studies so far hopefully they’ll be of use in the future.

How would you recommend I find my motivation for Geography? My teacher loves to rub it in our faces how stupid we are so I ignore him but I still don’t have that courage.
We’re learning coasts right now and my mental state is not doing so good (>_<!)
You'll have to endure it, but with more practice your grades should improve
Original post by Persona5
You'll have to endure it, but with more practice your grades should improve

Thank you!
Reply 7
I'm taking geography too and just done my mock and got a grade4, I hate the subject and I wish I dropped it. Oh well...the teachers just say to make notes and practice exam style questions. Im also doing coasts and rivers, i hate it!!
geography is a difficult subject, but for the most, it's about applying knowledge to the exam questions :smile: don't be expecting high grades right now, just learn your content and make revision notes as you go along. human geography you may find a bit easier but they often consist of eight mark questions etc; just lots of practice and revision will help. it helps if you have a supportive teacher.
Original post by entertainmyfaith
geography is a difficult subject, but for the most, it's about applying knowledge to the exam questions :smile: don't be expecting high grades right now, just learn your content and make revision notes as you go along. human geography you may find a bit easier but they often consist of eight mark questions etc; just lots of practice and revision will help. it helps if you have a supportive teacher.

I’ve started making mindmaps? But I stopped suddenly so I have to continue making more. What if you don’t have a supportive teacher? Also thank you btw (^~^ )
Reply 10
I used to hate geography as well. I know it’s hard but you need to try and have a positive attitude towards the subject (ish) coz if you go in just hating it and not caring you won’t be motivated to actually care enough to revise and at least pass. Try and get into it even if you are learning but you are thinking wow this stuff is dumb? And get a good set of notes, whether it’s from your teacher or bitesize and also diagrams are good. Oh and learn those case studies!! If you know your case studies well you should at least be able to pass.
Reply 11
I can understand about geography, but sadly it is one of the only GCSEs that you will use when you leave school. If you want to travel, know how to map read (good forbid the gps crashes), grow anything, understand rock formation and thus where the best beaches are- you need geography to do it.
Original post by AngelStarfire
I’ve started making mindmaps? But I stopped suddenly so I have to continue making more. What if you don’t have a supportive teacher? Also thank you btw (^~^ )

a supportive teacher often encourages people to work hard or they enjoy the subject more :smile: if you don't have one, it just means you need to change your mentality so it isn't the same as your teacher. keep working at it.
Original post by SKintu
I used to hate geography as well. I know it’s hard but you need to try and have a positive attitude towards the subject (ish) coz if you go in just hating it and not caring you won’t be motivated to actually care enough to revise and at least pass. Try and get into it even if you are learning but you are thinking wow this stuff is dumb? And get a good set of notes, whether it’s from your teacher or bitesize and also diagrams are good. Oh and learn those case studies!! If you know your case studies well you should at least be able to pass.

Thank you! I’ll try to like it even though even lesson I come to hate it even more. I’ll somehow find some way to enjoy it and for the case studies I’ve been making mind maps so that in Year 11 I’m covered.
Original post by Purdy7
I can understand about geography, but sadly it is one of the only GCSEs that you will use when you leave school. If you want to travel, know how to map read (good forbid the gps crashes), grow anything, understand rock formation and thus where the best beaches are- you need geography to do it.

Fair point. I’ll try see the positives of Geography
Original post by Zoqua
Geography is one of the easiest subjects at GCSE. I'm aiming for a Level 9 at the end of Year 11, and I got 100% in my last Geography test, and yet I agree with you about it being a boring subject. To be honest however, you just have to memorize. Geography papers basically need you to memorize a lot of facts, terminology and events, then test how well you display and utilize your information. Just revise doing work outside school if your teachers bad, and take practice papers(that's what I did) and you should start doing better :smile:

Thank you! And damn 100%! On my first test I got 44% (15/34). I’ll go to the library and try print out or work on some practice papers. But how do I know if I’m right?
Reply 16
Thank you! I’ll try to like it even though even lesson I come to hate it even more. I’ll somehow find some way to enjoy it and for the case studies I’ve been making mind maps so that in Year 11 I’m covered.

Loool that’s good

Good luck!!
Reply 17
Pretty sure universities don't actually care what GCSEs you did, only what you got in them.

Also I chose Geography GCSE and hated it. I was stupid enough to choose it for AS Level because I thought a change in teacher would make it better.

However the truth about education is that you won't always be studying something you enjoy and some things will appear much more challenging at first. Even after GCSE where the subjects are supposedly narrower, you will end up having topics within subjects or modules that you really hate. I still managed to get an A* at GCSE and an A at AS level, so don't let the fact that you hate the subject prevent you from trying your very best.

Yes, you got below 50% in one of your assessments. So what? The main point of them is not to show how good/bad you are, but to outline key areas of weakness from which you can improve on. I remember getting a C grade in my AS level chemistry mocks, and I'm now on track to getting A* in my A level.
Original post by C_Yap
Pretty sure universities don't actually care what GCSEs you did, only what you got in them.

Also I chose Geography GCSE and hated it. I was stupid enough to choose it for AS Level because I thought a change in teacher would make it better.

However the truth about education is that you won't always be studying something you enjoy and some things will appear much more challenging at first. Even after GCSE where the subjects are supposedly narrower, you will end up having topics within subjects or modules that you really hate. I still managed to get an A* at GCSE and an A at AS level, so don't let the fact that you hate the subject prevent you from trying your very best.

Yes, you got below 50% in one of your assessments. So what? The main point of them is not to show how good/bad you are, but to outline key areas of weakness from which you can improve on. I remember getting a C grade in my AS level chemistry mocks, and I'm now on track to getting A* in my A level.

Thank you so much for your reply! I will be going through my mistakes hoping not to make the same mistakes again. I too also chose Geography thinking I would enjoy it with a different teacher.
I’ve always hated the subject Geography since year 7 and I’m still surprised I chose it as a GCSE subject. I chose it as an option because:
-looks good on CV for University(but it won’t matter if I get a bad grade!)
-the teacher I had since year 7 which made me dislike Geography even more was leaving so I thought i might enjoy it this time- naive I was!
-I thought I could give it a shot and try to enjoy it - but 7 weeks in Year 10 so far and I hate it.

I don’t want to drop it but I really need advice on what to do please. I did horribly in our first test 15/34 (not even half mark) even though I revised a lot (most of the stuff I revised wasn’t on the test). My goal was to attempt to be “positive” or “optimistic” and think maybe it’s just my first test, next test I’ll do well but it’s GCSE I should be able to perform well.

My Geography teacher likes to throw time consuming homework that my lazy, stupid self starts breaking down stressing about finishing it and not getting on his bad side.

Please! I really desperately want advice about improving in Geography and advice about how to enjoy it. I really don’t want to drop it I still think a little that I can do better! For my first test I got a grade 4 which I think it’s a D. For GCSE I’m predicted a grade 7 which I think it’s an A.

I know I probably sound annoying and lazy,stupid and naive but I don’t want to continue on Geography with a mindset such as mine (breaking down and tearing up about failing).

Also does anyone have study tips for Geography please? I’m doing Edexcel.

Hi! I’m currently in my A2 year of Geography and plan to do a degree in Geography next year, so I know what it’s like to go through GCSE Geography. My best tip is to use flash cards for your case studies; write them out in bullet points, and write figures or place names in a different colour. I still use this method now and I got an an A at GCSE... another tip, which I’m sure has already been said, is to do past papers until you can recite them lol... not literally but they are an unreal way to revise.

In terms of motivation, remember this is YOUR future you’re working towards. You may not like Geography now, or in the future, but what matters is that you leave it behind with a grade that YOU can be proud of. If you keep focused, and remember why you’re doing this in the first place, you’ll ace your exams and be able to say, “I did that, even though I found it difficult.”

Good luck with your exams! 😊
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending