The Student Room Group

What options: Biology, Maths, Chemistry, Geography?

For my A level options, I've applied with Maths Biology and Geography but I'm now wondering if I should be taking Chemistry (instead of Maths)? I don't know what I want to do when I'm older but I'm looking in the health/medical field, definitely not a doctor but possibly biomedicine, occupational therapy or veterinary. I want to keep my options open as I haven't decided my career, but do you think chemistry is too hard? I struggle with GCSE but then I haven't had a teacher for 3 months (she's ill or something). Any advice or tips would be helpful! x

Scroll to see replies

Chemistry A level is quite hard but it's okay if you're willing to put the work in. Saying that, I'm pretty sure you need it to do vet med and it would be useful for biomed as well. Maths is good too but chemistry is probably more necessary for those degrees/ careers - maybe check on the course requirements.
Original post by uniidk12345
For my A level options, I've applied with Maths Biology and Geography but I'm now wondering if I should be taking Chemistry (instead of Maths)? I don't know what I want to do when I'm older but I'm looking in the health/medical field, definitely not a doctor but possibly biomedicine, occupational therapy or veterinary. I want to keep my options open as I haven't decided my career, but do you think chemistry is too hard? I struggle with GCSE but then I haven't had a teacher for 3 months (she's ill or something). Any advice or tips would be helpful! x

Chemistry would be the logical option since I think you need it for veterinary science and it is a good support for biology, and you never know medicine might interest you later. But for biomedicine i think you'd be fine with biology, maths and geography as 2 science subjects are preferable.
That being said chemistry is a hard A level, I'm applying for medicine and am finding it really difficult especially at A2, but with hard work an A is definitely achievable.
If I were you I'd start thinking about the course and uni you want to go to and go from there. Which year are you in? Its unclear from your post x
Original post by in_candescence
Chemistry would be the logical option since I think you need it for veterinary science and it is a good support for biology, and you never know medicine might interest you later. But for biomedicine i think you'd be fine with biology, maths and geography as 2 science subjects are preferable.
That being said chemistry is a hard A level, I'm applying for medicine and am finding it really difficult especially at A2, but with hard work an A is definitely achievable.
If I were you I'd start thinking about the course and uni you want to go to and go from there. Which year are you in? Its unclear from your post x

I'm in year 11, and although I'm doing well in my sciences (grade 7/8/9), I'm just worried that chemistry is going to be too difficult for me? I guess I could always get a tutor for chem A level as the chem teachers at my school are awful
I'm in year 11, and although I'm doing well in my sciences (grade 7/8/9), I'm just worried that chemistry is going to be too difficult for me? I guess I could always get a tutor for chem A level as the chem teachers at my school are awful

Those are good grades, you should be fine with A level, I say fine but people with top grades from GCSE struggle at A level (like me lol). You could get a tutor if you're able to, or, it's a bit drastic but move school for sixth form if you're really concerned with the quality of teaching? You not having a teacher because they're ill is a red flag, you should have a replacement

Don't drop maths! It's the most valued A-Level. If I were you, I would have chosen Biology, Chemistry and Maths. If anything, drop geography. And anyway, if you want to be a vet (as you mentioned), you are definitely gonna need Chemistry.
Good luck!
Those are good grades, you should be fine with A level, I say fine but people with top grades from GCSE struggle at A level (like me lol). You could get a tutor if you're able to, or, it's a bit drastic but move school for sixth form if you're really concerned with the quality of teaching? You not having a teacher because they're ill is a red flag, you should have a replacement

Yeah my class has been stuck with cover teachers and teachers from other departments for 3 months, but we're getting a new teacher in January which will hopefully be good. My brother took got A* GCSE chemistry but he got a B at A level chem, so I guess I'm also just worried seeing how he did so well GCSE and not very well A Level?
Original post by Rohit_Rocks10
Don't drop maths! It's the most valued A-Level. If I were you, I would have chosen Biology, Chemistry and Maths. If anything, drop geography. And anyway, if you want to be a vet (as you mentioned), you are definitely gonna need Chemistry.
Good luck!

Although Maths is obviously harder and more valued than Geography, Geography is still counted as a science for Universities so I'm wondering if I should do two harder subjects (bio/chem) and Geography as the easier one - something I can definitely get an A* in? I think I won't get an A* in Maths if I took it?
Yeah my class has been stuck with cover teachers and teachers from other departments for 3 months, but we're getting a new teacher in January which will hopefully be good. My brother took got A* GCSE chemistry but he got a B at A level chem, so I guess I'm also just worried seeing how he did so well GCSE and not very well A Level?

It is a massive jump, chemistry is often considered the hardest A level and rightly so, the questions are just a lot more difficult and you can't rely on memorisation alone like you can for other subjects.
I'll have to get back to you on what grade I come out with this year lol, I just about managed an A in my end of year 12 exams (instead of AS because my school does the linear course)
It is a massive jump, chemistry is often considered the hardest A level and rightly so, the questions are just a lot more difficult and you can't rely on memorisation alone like you can for other subjects.
I'll have to get back to you on what grade I come out with this year lol, I just about managed an A in my end of year 12 exams (instead of AS because my school does the linear course)

So are you doing the old or new A level syllabus? Chemistry's a bit daunting generally but I feel like it's a good one to have and with the careers I'm considering I would be removing a lot of my options if I didn't take it. Are you glad you took it? What's the hardest aspect?
All subjects are different at A Levels. I used to like GCSE biology but now I majorly dislike it due to it's content heavy nature. I disliked maths at GCSE and now I like it at A Levels. And this is always fluctuating; one day I like one subject and the next day I despise it. If I were you I'd take chemistry, biology and maths because the subjects complement eachother so well. It's important that you're not swayed from doing a subject simply because you've heard that it's difficult at A levels or because your teachers aren't very good. Just because you know people who found A Level chemistry difficult does not mean that you will too. Chemistry has always been my favourite subject, right from GCSE to A Levels and although I'm not finding it too tricky because I've just started AS level Chemistry, I am not afraid of facing challenges within the subject and overcoming them. That's what A Levels is all about, overcoming challenges and having a productive attitude towards failure/disappointment.
Original post by Deliciate
All subjects are different at A Levels. I used to like GCSE biology but now I majorly dislike it due to it's content heavy nature. I disliked maths at GCSE and now I like it at A Levels. And this is always fluctuating; one day I like one subject and the next day I despise it. If I were you I'd take chemistry, biology and maths because the subjects complement eachother so well. It's important that you're not swayed from doing a subject simply because you've heard that it's difficult at A levels or because your teachers aren't very good. Just because you know people who found A Level chemistry difficult does not mean that you will too. Chemistry has always been my favourite subject, right from GCSE to A Levels and although I'm not finding it too tricky because I've just started AS level Chemistry, I am not afraid of facing challenges within the subject and overcoming them. That's what A Levels is all about, overcoming challenges and having a productive attitude towards failure/disappointment.

That's good point, you can't really know what the A level subjects will be like until you try them. You don't find Chem Bio Maths is too hard for A levels?
That's good point, you can't really know what the A level subjects will be like until you try them. You don't find Chem Bio Maths is too hard for A levels?

Not at the moment, I think the three subjects work really well together. I'm also taking English literature but I'm really finding it inconvenient as it's an essay-based subject. I'll probably drop it next year. That's why I'd refrain from taking geography since it's an essay-based subject I believe. However, it's still highly respected so if you like it then I see no problem with it.

That being said, I'm starting organic chemistry and physical chemistry after Christmas so my view could completely change. :biggrin:
Original post by Deliciate
Not at the moment, I think the three subjects work really well together. I'm also taking English literature but I'm really finding it inconvenient as it's an essay-based subject. I'll probably drop it next year. That's why I'd refrain from taking geography since it's an essay-based subject I believe. However, it's still highly respected so if you like it then I see no problem with it.

That being said, I'm starting organic chemistry and physical chemistry after Christmas so my view could completely change. :biggrin:

I definitely won't take 4 A levels, although I admire people who do, that's very ambitious! I'm not bad at essays so I think it might be a good idea to have a different subject as Chem/Maths have similar aspects, whereas Geography is very different, which I reckon will keep me interested.
I take bio, chem and geography at the moment (in year 12) and I have to say I don't regret any of them :smile: I never considered doing maths as an a-level. Although I loved it at GCSE, I just knew that I wouldn't enjoy it at a-level for some odd reason. Keep in mind there's a few cross-overs between the few which is great. For example, hydrogen bonding in chemistry links to the structure of DNA and the anomalous properties of water are in both subjects. As for geography, succession habitats come up and this also comes up in biology (both AQA- OCR for chemistry).

The above said geography is an essay based subject but keep in mind that depending on the exam board I guess, there is an essay question in the biology paper.

I just love knowing things from other subjects that people in my class don't know as no one in my geography class (albeit only a class of 5) takes biology or chemistry :wink:
Original post by CuriousCat567
I take bio, chem and geography at the moment (in year 12) and I have to say I don't regret any of them :smile: I never considered doing maths as an a-level. Although I loved it at GCSE, I just knew that I wouldn't enjoy it at a-level for some odd reason. Keep in mind there's a few cross-overs between the few which is great. For example, hydrogen bonding in chemistry links to the structure of DNA and the anomalous properties of water are in both subjects. As for geography, succession habitats come up and this also comes up in biology (both AQA- OCR for chemistry).

The above said geography is an essay based subject but keep in mind that depending on the exam board I guess, there is an essay question in the biology paper.

I just love knowing things from other subjects that people in my class don't know as no one in my geography class (albeit only a class of 5) takes biology or chemistry :wink:

That's good to know, I don't really enjoy maths GCSE although I'm good at it so if I took it A level it would only be because it's a good subject to have, but I do enjoy Geography and my teacher's amazing. How hard have you found biology and geography so far?
That's good to know, I don't really enjoy maths GCSE although I'm good at it so if I took it A level it would only be because it's a good subject to have, but I do enjoy Geography and my teacher's amazing. How hard have you found biology and geography so far?

Biology was quite difficult at first since it required such precise answers. (at the beginning of year 12 I was getting Ds in the mocks we have like every 2 weeks but in my December mock I got an A which I was so psyched about!)

Geography doesn't have that much of a leap into a-level. You'll notice that the questions are similar but may be slightly more precise and examples are a must! I've gotten A/Bs in mocks (more so As) but I haven't got my december result back for geography yet so let's not jinx it.

The things for these subjects is that it's highly recommended that for the top grades you do some further reading so don't take the subjects if you don't think you'd enjoy them. To be fair, I think I'm still in the honeymoon phase for them- let's not talk about chemistry :wink:
Although Maths is obviously harder and more valued than Geography, Geography is still counted as a science for Universities so I'm wondering if I should do two harder subjects (bio/chem) and Geography as the easier one - something I can definitely get an A* in? I think I won't get an A* in Maths if I took it?

It depends on you! What do you prefer? Memorizing and then writing on an exam paper or understanding and applying the concepts rather than rote learning? And what makes you think you won't get an A* in Maths?
Original post by Rohit_Rocks10
It depends on you! What do you prefer? Memorizing and then writing on an exam paper or understanding and applying the concepts rather than rote learning? And what makes you think you won't get an A* in Maths?

Probably the memorizing one rather than applying it, and I think I'd have to work very hard at maths to get a good grade because it doesn't come easily to me.
Original post by CuriousCat567
Biology was quite difficult at first since it required such precise answers. (at the beginning of year 12 I was getting Ds in the mocks we have like every 2 weeks but in my December mock I got an A which I was so psyched about!)

Geography doesn't have that much of a leap into a-level. You'll notice that the questions are similar but may be slightly more precise and examples are a must! I've gotten A/Bs in mocks (more so As) but I haven't got my december result back for geography yet so let's not jinx it.

The things for these subjects is that it's highly recommended that for the top grades you do some further reading so don't take the subjects if you don't think you'd enjoy them. To be fair, I think I'm still in the honeymoon phase for them- let's not talk about chemistry :wink:

I guess because the A level subjects are so different from the GCSE ones it takes a while to adjust at first. You seem to be doing pretty well in your mocks though?

Quick Reply

Latest