The Student Room Group

AS does not count for UCAS points?

Okay here is my situation. I did the first year of sixthform, which is known as (AS) and I messed up badly. I got an E in maths and was able to get a Merit in ICT. So the next year, I decided to go to College and study BTEC Extended Diploma in Engineering (Which is supposed to be a two year course), however I ended up just studying the first year as I ended up with a double MP (Merit, Pass). Most universities require DDM or DMM for the course I want to do, so I thought to save time, I can go to University and study foundation year in engineering (Which is what I am doing right now).

So I am wondering will Universities accept me with my BTEC Level 3 Diploma for Engineering of Merit Pass. AND

My AS Maths - E
BTEC ICT - Merit.

I am currently studying Foundation Engineering and the University that I am currently studying in said they would accept me into it. But I don't want to just look at one university. I've emailed many universities, but most of them ignore my qualifications prior to uni.

any advice please?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Zaynnn
Okay here is my situation. I did the first year of sixthform, which is known as (AS) and I messed up badly. I got an E in maths and was able to get a Merit in ICT. So the next year, I decided to do BTEC Extended Diploma, however I ended up just studying the first year as I ended up with a double MP.

So I am wondering will Universities accept me with my BTEC Level 3 Diploma for Engineering of Merit Pass. AND

My AS Maths - E
BTEC ICT - Merit.

I am currently studying Foundation Engineering and the University that I am currently studying in said they would accept me into it. But I don't want to just look at one university. I've emailed many universities, but most of them ignore my qualifications prior to uni.

any advice please?

so you're doing a foundation year now?
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
so you're doing a foundation year now?

Yes I am doing a foundation year now.
Original post by Zaynnn
Yes I am doing a foundation year now.

As its more recent and more relevant, that would be why they aren't taking into account your level 3 qualifications before now. You could send a your list of modules with any emails you send to universities as that might help get you a better answer, saying that foundation years are individual to each university so you might not be able to go to a different one.
Reply 4
As its more recent and more relevant, that would be why they aren't taking into account your level 3 qualifications before now. You could send a your list of modules with any emails you send to universities as that might help get you a better answer, saying that foundation years are individual to each university so you might not be able to go to a different one.

True. I have called up a number of different universities and most of them have told me to just apply through UCAS as they do not know what exactly I would need to get into the university. It is just frustrating because I will not be certain whether or not I will be able to get into any of the Universities.

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.
Original post by Zaynnn
True. I have called up a number of different universities and most of them have told me to just apply through UCAS as they do not know what exactly I would need to get into the university. It is just frustrating because I will not be certain whether or not I will be able to get into any of the Universities.

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

I would contact them again and ask for further information, they should be able to give you some sort of criteria. It might be a good idea to send emails as then you will have it in writing.
Reply 6
I would contact them again and ask for further information, they should be able to give you some sort of criteria. It might be a good idea to send emails as then you will have it in writing.

I have tried contacting them both email and via phone, however most of them just forward me to an automated voicemail saying they will be back in January 3rd. However the deadline for the UCAS applications are 15th January and I feel like I won't have enough time to actually decide which 5 choices I will submit.

I also haven't finished my personal statement. I was busy trying to finish my coursework, but the deadline was the last day before we broke up for Christmas holiday. So I have had to make my own personal statement and apply for all the universities myself (since usually it would be read through and made sure it's okay by the teacher)
Original post by Zaynnn
I have tried contacting them both email and via phone, however most of them just forward me to an automated voicemail saying they will be back in January 3rd. However the deadline for the UCAS applications are 15th January and I feel like I won't have enough time to actually decide which 5 choices I will submit.

I also haven't finished my personal statement. I was busy trying to finish my coursework, but the deadline was the last day before we broke up for Christmas holiday. So I have had to make my own personal statement and apply for all the universities myself (since usually it would be read through and made sure it's okay by the teacher)

It's not ideal to rush a decision, but there isn't a lot you can do since it's the middle of the holidays now. You can always apply for what you think could be the best options for you, then go through clearing if you change your mind, although that's far from an ideal situation.
Reply 8
It's not ideal to rush a decision, but there isn't a lot you can do since it's the middle of the holidays now. You can always apply for what you think could be the best options for you, then go through clearing if you change your mind, although that's far from an ideal situation.

Yeah. That is what I am planning on doing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending