The Student Room Group

Is it possible to get these grades?

I know I probably sound paranoid but I've been doing terrible at English Language as well as Literature. I've got grade 5s in my Year 11 GCSE mocks for both language and literature.

With the final GCSEs starting in may, is there any chance I can improve and achieve a grade 8 for both language and literature?

I'm pretty much ******** myself. Please someone help

Scroll to see replies

Original post by doctarv
I know I probably sound paranoid but I've been doing terrible at English Language as well as Literature. I've got grade 5s in my Year 11 GCSE mocks for both language and literature.

With the final GCSEs starting in may, is there any chance I can improve and achieve a grade 8 for both language and literature?

Yes if you put in effort. I went from a 5 in December a 7 in my final gcse exams
Original post by lion-tiger
Yes if you put in effort. I went from a 5 in December a 7 in my final gcse exams

Can you please tell me what you did for both language and literature and how long you spent on it each day
even if you practised your exam technique every couple of days for the next month, you will massively improve! put in the work and it'll definitely pay off
It will be hard, but if you really work for it I think you can!! I got a 6 in my end of year exam last year for language and lit and am aiming for a 7 possibly 8 in real gcse this year so it is definitely gonna be hard but I think it’s possible! Good luck :smile:
It depends on how smart you actually are and how much effort you are putting in. I have just started college and was the first to do the new GCSE exams. I was getting 5s/6s and I never revised through my 5 years. A week before my lit exam I just crammed my mind with quotes and used my teachers advice and got a 7. For language, I found it is easy and got a 7. Just put in the effort and you will be fine.
Original post by STUDENTGCSE2017
It depends on how smart you actually are and how much effort you are putting in. I have just started college and was the first to do the new GCSE exams. I was getting 5s/6s and I never revised through my 5 years. A week before my lit exam I just crammed my mind with quotes and used my teachers advice and got a 7. For language, I found it is easy and got a 7. Just put in the effort and you will be fine.

I'd say I'm quite smart as long as I put effort into what I do. My teachers and mates have said I have a good ability to grasp anything. Can you share your teacher's advice. Do you think I'll be able to achieve it?
Original post by doctarv
Can you please tell me what you did for both language and literature and how long you spent on it each day

No worries. For language I watched bruff video for every single type of question, I did AQA btw. Then I practiced every type and I gave 2 questions weekly, one for Lang and one for literature , to my teacher to mark from March/ April time. I understood how to answer each question and what to include. Like for paper 1 q2, you write 6 pee paragraphs about similes, metaphors, sentences structure, word types, and others, and explain effect on reader.

For literature, I memorised quotes for every character and theme, and made mind maps on every character and theme. I practiced essays and I used the following format:
Point
Evidence/example
Analyse( what it suggests and effect on reader)
Zoom (what language technique has been used? Zoom into it and explain how it impacts you as reader and why)
Link ( link to a theme if question is on character and vice versa. Make sure to include historical context as well).

For unseen poetry I used the same technique but without the link part at the end.

I bought the “Study and Revise” by hodder education books for each book and poem cluster.

I got a 7 in language and a 7 in literature due to this. If you need any more GcSE advice/ tips on any subject I’m happy to help :wink:
I practiced every type and I gave 2 questions weekly, one for Lang and one for literature , to my teacher to mark from March/ April time. I understood how to answer each question and what to include.

While Mr Bruff's videos are amazing, my school's doing Edexcel. Do you know any other YouTubers that do Edexcel?

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get those practise questions. Most exam papers on Edexcel are locked.
Also how did you prepare for Creative Writing and Transactional Writing
I was in the exact same position as you and ended up with 2 8s.

No worries. For language I watched bruff video for every single type of question, I did AQA btw. Then I practiced every type and I gave 2 questions weekly, one for Lang and one for literature , to my teacher to mark from March/ April time. I understood how to answer each question and what to include. Like for paper 1 q2, you write 6 pee paragraphs about similes, metaphors, sentences structure, word types, and others, and explain effect on reader.

For literature, I memorised quotes for every character and theme, and made mind maps on every character and theme. I practiced essays and I used the following format:
Point
Evidence/example
Analyse( what it suggests and effect on reader)
Zoom (what language technique has been used? Zoom into it and explain how it impacts you as reader and why)
Link ( link to a theme if question is on character and vice versa. Make sure to include historical context as well).

For unseen poetry I used the same technique but without the link part at the end.

I bought the “Study and Revise” by hodder education books for each book and poem cluster.

I got a 7 in language and a 7 in literature due to this. If you need any more GcSE advice/ tips on any subject I’m happy to help :wink:

This is really good, but to improve it you should embrace your quote into your first sentence, which is your point. Do a small analysis on that then do an extensive analysis after zooming in. Use big words like "lexus" and make it sound original.
For language I recommend you get the cgp 9-1 guide, the examples themselves will help so much.
Good luck!
Original post by doctarv
While Mr Bruff's videos are amazing, my school's doing Edexcel. Do you know any other YouTubers that do Edexcel?

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get those practise questions. Most exam papers on Edexcel are locked.
Also how did you prepare for Creative Writing and Transactional Writing

Tbh I don’t really know about edexcel for YouTube. Best thing is to ask your teacher to go through with you each question and how to answer it.

Regarding the questions I bought a practice book with questions for aqa. Ask your teachers for questions and they’ll give you. For the literature ones I used ones from old spec and the specimen papers. I also did the specimen papers for lit and Lang- I asked teachers for them.

For creative writing I practiced and I used the senses and structured it like a short story - into, blocks of info then conclusion. If your writing a description, then do same format but zoom into things deeply and analyse.

Transactional writing I’m guessing is like essays, letters, etc. Understand how they’re structured, and then use skills such as persuasion for letters, speeches use rhetorical questions.

Also use a wide range of punctuation for both
Original post by ultimateradman
I was in the exact same position as you and ended up with 2 8s.

This is really good, but to improve it you should embrace your quote into your first sentence, which is your point. Do a small analysis on that then do an extensive analysis after zooming in. Use big words like "lexus" and make it sound original.
For language I recommend you get the cgp 9-1 guide, the examples themselves will help so much.
Good luck!

Nice congratulations ! What grades did you get in other subjects if you don’t mind ?
Nice congratulations ! What grades did you get in other subjects if you don’t mind ?

I got an eight in maths (9 marks from a 9😞) , distinction start in excel and 2 Bs in computing and German. For RE, 3 triple science GCSEs and history I got all As. I'm a little disappointed in RE and Biology since those were always easy a stars for me, but my controlled assessment ended up getting put down for a biology(like with a lot of my subjects) even though I got an a star in the massive exam and an a in the smaller one.
But overly not too bad!
If you need any more GcSE advice/ tips on any subject I’m happy to help :wink:

Thanks a lot for the support 🤘👊
I got an eight in maths (9 marks from a 9😞) , distinction start in excel and 2 Bs in computing and German. For RE, 3 triple science GCSEs and history I got all As. I'm a little disappointed in RE and Biology since those were always easy a stars for me, but my controlled assessment ended up getting put down for a biology(like with a lot of my subjects) even though I got an a star in the massive exam and an a in the smaller one.
But overly not too bad!

Omg you did German? I'm guessing that was for the old specification. My teacher absolutely sucks and I've actually forgotten most of the language and vocab in the past two years. How do you recommend revising for that?
Original post by doctarv

I got a D in my English Language and a B in my English Literature mocks when I was in November of Year 11 and got A* in both Language and Literature (by like 1 marks luckily) in the Summer so it's definitely possible.
But overly not too bad!

Nice. What are you studying now?
Original post by doctarv
Omg you did German? I'm guessing that was for the old specification. My teacher absolutely sucks and I've actually forgotten most of the language and vocab in the past two years. How do you recommend revising for that?

Yh it was for the old spec, I recommend that you get yourself a cgp vocab book and try to learn words from it, even the basics like directions and locations. Also, I know the new spec is a lot harder, but still practise from the old spec past papers.
GOOD LUCK!
Nice. What are you studying now?

Maths, biology and chemistry. Ironically, biology is the most difficult for me. How did you do and what do you study right now?
Maths, biology and chemistry. Ironically, biology is the most difficult for me. How did you do and what do you study right now?

I got 4A* 5A at Gcse, including a 9 in maths . Studying biology, chemistry physics and maths a levels. Planning on doing medicine... what career do u want to do?

Quick Reply

Latest