The Student Room Group

Access to Social Work distance learning

Can Access to Social Work be completed in 6 months by distance learning? This is what is on offer by Stonebridge College and obtaining a Learner Loan as they state that after July it will no longer be on offer.
Original post by bajanangie
Can Access to Social Work be completed in 6 months by distance learning? This is what is on offer by Stonebridge College and obtaining a Learner Loan as they state that after July it will no longer be on offer.

How clever are you?
How experienced a learner?
How hard are you willing to work?
Do you have much experience of independent learning?

The feedback on distance learning access courses has been split. Ive seen one person saying they got good support and then others say they had no support and it was a mistake.

Its going to cost many thousands £ worth of debt. Try and speak to a previous student for feedback. can you study on your own and be disciplined plus sort your own issues out?

I would say for new learners that a classroom with a teacher and other students is better. It seems rushed and if you mess up, then you just have debt. It would be possible if you were clever and pit the time in. It could also go very wrong and be expensive. they are unlikely to pay for it again. Weigh it up carefully. Sounds risky to me and i would probably just get experience and work on other aspects of my application then do it starting 2018. In a class. Just know what you are getting into.

Talk to other access students on the mature students section.

http://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/Access/FAQs/Pages/Default.aspx?acceptcookies=true
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
How clever are you?
How experienced a learner?
How hard are you willing to work?
Do you have much experience of independent learning?

The feedback on distance learning access courses has been split. Ive seen one person saying they got good support and then others say they had no support and it was a mistake.

Its going to cost many thousands £ worth of debt. Try and speak to a previous student for feedback. can you study on your own and be disciplined plus sort your own issues out?

I would say for new learners that a classroom with a teacher and other students is better. It seems rushed and if you mess up, then you just have debt. It would be possible if you were clever and pit the time in. It could also go very wrong and be expensive. they are unlikely to pay for it again. Weigh it up carefully. Sounds risky to me and i would probably just get experience and work on other aspects of my application then do it starting 2018. In a class. Just know what you are getting into.

Talk to other access students on the mature students section.

http://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/Access/FAQs/Pages/Default.aspx?acceptcookies=true

Thank you very much for your reply. I will consider this.
Reply 3
Original post by bajanangie
Thank you very much for your reply. I will consider this.

Difficult getting in to social care field though but I am trying.
Reply 4
As I have done various courses, I wonder if there is anyway I can omit some modules or even get onto a social work course without going through the Access route. I have completed:

2017 Somerset College NCFE Level 2 Principles of Dementia Care

2016 Somerset College NCFE Level 2 Principles of Care Planning

2015 Croydon College HE Dip Access to HE Diploma Nursing

2011 Croydon College EDI Level 2 Working in Health and Social Care

2010 Open University 60 credits Level 1 Health and Social Care

2009 Open University 10 credits Level 1 Understanding Children

2000 Woolwich College LOCN Access to Community and Social Work

How would I find out?
Example 1: Quotation
Title: Purpose of Education in Society
Original text
According to the article (Anon., 2019, p. 1) “Education is Self-Empowerment. Receiving a good education helps empower you, thus making you strong enough to look after yourself in any given situation.”
Bibliography
Anon., 2019. Importance of Education in Society. 2019, 30 08, p. 3.

is this okay?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending