The Student Room Group

how to write a case note

hi I'm really struggling with writing a case note and commentary on Paris v Stepney Borough Council [1950] UKHL 3, [1951] AC 367, [1951] 1 All ER 42 (HL). can someone help me with this please because my tutors and lectures are no help, they keep telling me to figure this out by myself but I am really struggling. thank you :smile:
Case note is different to an essay. You have to get to grips with the actual case IN DETAIL.

First thing is. Print the case out. Read it multiple times. Do not reply on textbooks for explanations.

My approach to a case analysis would be:

Intro (10% word count)
Identify and state the MATERIAL facts of the case (5%)
Identify and state the legal issue(s) the court had to decide AND if relevant the procedural history i.e. what did the lower courts decide (10%)
State clearly and precisely how the court arrived at their decision (20%)
Critical analysis: what does this case add to this area of law? Is it a good decision. If not, why not? How are you defining good? How do other jurisdictions deal with the issue raised by the case? What do academic say about the case? DO you agree? (55%).
Conclusion (5% word count)

Pvt message me if you need anything clarified.
i have case-note for Walker v The Commissioner of Police for the Metropolis [2014] EWCA Civ 897 to do
pls help
Original post by jadgishveera
i have case-note for Walker v The Commissioner of Police for the Metropolis [2014] EWCA Civ 897 to do
pls help

please help bro

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending