The Student Room Group

Need some help finalising my A level choices!

I realise that this type of thing has probably been posted many, many times, but I need some help!

These are the A levels that I know I want to study:
- French
- English literature
- English language
- EPQ (I know it's not an A level, but I know that I want to do it.)

At university I would like to study English and French, with the intention of a career in democracy. I'm aiming for Oxford university.

These are the subjects I am thinking of for As level:
- German (currently studying at GCSE, I find it slightly more difficult than French but still a little enjoyable)
- History (also studying at GCSE. I'm not really that interested in any of the A level topics, so I don't particularly fancy this choice.)
- RS (not studying at GCSE. I find the philosophy and ethics side much more interesting than the actual religion!)
- Philosophy (this would be via an online course, so I'm not sure if it would be that great. I used to be in a philosophy society at school whichI really enjoyed)
- Latin GCSE (this would also be online. I used to teach myself Latin, but I found it quite difficult to grasp the grammar. I was 11. I realise this is usually two years.)

So, there we go! Apologies that this is so long. Which of these options do you think is best for English and French at Oxford?
Thanks! :smile:
First off, don't study a course you're not interested in! Believe me your first year will be hell and a mash up of complaining and regret (many of my friends chose subjects they hated).

I did RS in a similar position to you, loving philosophy and ethics and not caring much about the religion part! I loved it anyway. The philosophy and ethics units were big and we covered Buddhism as our religion which was surprisingly fascinating (although not many schools do it so check what the religion you cover would be).

I'm not a language student, I didn't even do a GCSE in one, but I could imagine doing two could be hard at A Level. But if you enjoy them and are confident in your ability, go for it!

I do an EPQ too so if you have any questions on that or any other questions I'll happily answer!
Reply 2
Original post by yeahthatonethere
First off, don't study a course you're not interested in! Believe me your first year will be hell and a mash up of complaining and regret (many of my friends chose subjects they hated).

I did RS in a similar position to you, loving philosophy and ethics and not caring much about the religion part! I loved it anyway. The philosophy and ethics units were big and we covered Buddhism as our religion which was surprisingly fascinating (although not many schools do it so check what the religion you cover would be).

I'm not a language student, I didn't even do a GCSE in one, but I could imagine doing two could be hard at A Level. But if you enjoy them and are confident in your ability, go for it!

I do an EPQ too so if you have any questions on that or any other questions I'll happily answer!

Okay, that’s all really helpful thanks!

We do Christianity as our religion, I believe. I wish it was Buddhism as I really enjoyed learning about that when we covered it in year 7/8.

Two is hard at GCSE so I’m not too sure about A level.

How much time does your EPQ take up?

Thanks again! :smile:
Original post by Ioneg
Okay, that’s all really helpful thanks!

We do Christianity as our religion, I believe. I wish it was Buddhism as I really enjoyed learning about that when we covered it in year 7/8.

Two is hard at GCSE so I’m not too sure about A level.

How much time does your EPQ take up?

Thanks again! :smile:

Yeah I'd be careful with the languages if you found it hard to do 2 language GCSEs. As I said I'm not a language student but I found A Levels to be a big step up in difficulty and workload so just be cautious!

Christianity could still be interesting and it's only 1/3 of your course anyway!

For me, my EPQ hasn't taken up too much time! I did a large amount of my research prior to the start of year 13 which made things much easier as the research is the longest part. I'm at the point in my EPQ where I've just wrote draft 1 and it took me about 2 days to write so for me it's been a quick and painless subject. That and out of the 4 uni offers I currently hold, 2 have lowered requirements for me because of it so that's great!
Reply 4
Original post by yeahthatonethere
Yeah I'd be careful with the languages if you found it hard to do 2 language GCSEs. As I said I'm not a language student but I found A Levels to be a big step up in difficulty and workload so just be cautious!

Christianity could still be interesting and it's only 1/3 of your course anyway!

For me, my EPQ hasn't taken up too much time! I did a large amount of my research prior to the start of year 13 which made things much easier as the research is the longest part. I'm at the point in my EPQ where I've just wrote draft 1 and it took me about 2 days to write so for me it's been a quick and painless subject. That and out of the 4 uni offers I currently hold, 2 have lowered requirements for me because of it so that's great!

I think the main difficulty is that sometimes I get the words mixed up. I think I probably would find it hard, however I’ve always been quite good at languages.

Yes I suppose! I think RS is my most likely choice.

That’s really good! What subject are you doing it on?

Thanks so much! :smile:
Original post by Ioneg
I think the main difficulty is that sometimes I get the words mixed up. I think I probably would find it hard, however I’ve always been quite good at languages.

Yes I suppose! I think RS is my most likely choice.

That’s really good! What subject are you doing it on?

Thanks so much! :smile:

My EPQ is on the prospect of using bacteria and viruses as treatments for disease in future healthcare. Its been really interesting and enjoyable and really relates to biomed/microbiology which is what I wanna do! I'd highly recommend doing something related to your uni aspirations but that you also find really interesting otherwise it'll drag.

Quick Reply

Latest