The Student Room Group

I have no idea what to drop at AS

so we have been told we have only a few weeks left to decide what to drop for AS, as the new a level system means you only sit 1 AS external exam so the departments need to register us a place to sit an exam. But slight problemo, i have no utter clue what to drop!!! I do French, English Language, History and Philosophy+ethics. Baring in mind that i constantly change my mind and doubt myself, i just want to make a decision and stick to it. In my first December AS trial exams I got an A in english, a B in history, a B in Philosophy and a C in french.

I definitely want to keep french even though it was my worst grade but i love the language and i am determined to get better at it.

I will probably keep english because i find it interesting and i am good at it.

But i don't know whether to drop history or philosophy. When I am older i would love to work in the film industry, so cinematography or scriptwriting or directing (i do film things on the side of my a levels). So i am not sure which would be more beneficial. I sort of enjoy both of them equally so i am slightly stuck on what to drop. If anyone has any ideas please let me know :smile:
I would say that history is slightly more universally recognised than philosophy, but either are strong A Levels. Really it comes down to which you enjoy more and which you think you can do better in at the end of the two years.
Why don't you drop french?

You may love it or whatever but you can learn it outside of college. You can't learn the rest outside of college. (in order to get A-levels for them anyway.)

What I am saying is you can learn french outside of college and if you can put it in any job interviews or your cv and it will count towards something. But if you put any of the other things on a cv without saying you have qualifications in them then they will probably either be ignored or won't help much.

If you don't drop french then drop whatever you feel will not help you in the future or the one you do not like the most.

Quick Reply

Latest