The Student Room Group

GCSE Help for A- Level Students! Year 10. Help!

How did you have the motivation to get down after school and revise? Honestly most days I just cba, but I need to work; otherwise it's another day wasted and another day closer to my GCSE's.
At the moment I am achieving 5,5,6,6,7,7,7,8,8 but at the end I want 10 7/8's.

How did you revise for the sciences? Yeah, those are the 6,6. Atm for science I am just working my way through the relevant textbooks. (Double sci.)

Maths? I can't even. Got a 5, need at the least a 6, want a 7. I've got a tutor and that is helping but how else can I get the 7?

In the future I want to study History or Law at a Russel Group uni, and am probably taking Law, History and English at A- Level.

I am in Year 10, starting year 11 in September. It's getting closer!
Original post by s.mlondon
How did you have the motivation to get down after school and revise? Honestly most days I just cba, but I need to work; otherwise it's another day wasted and another day closer to my GCSE's.

How did you revise for the sciences? Yeah, those are the 6,6. Atm for science I am just working my way through the relevant textbooks. (Double sci.)

Maths? I can't even. Got a 5, need at the least a 6, want a 7. I've got a tutor and that is helping but how else can I get the 7?

In the future I want to study History or Law at a Russel Group uni, and am probably taking Law, History and English at A- Level.

Decide what tasks you have to do for each subject.
Basically make notes or practice exams
Make a timetable and split the tasks out between the time left.
The notes should be revision notes i.e condensed. You can also use flashcards and mind maps.

Set yourself targets to reach every few weeks and the big one should be the transition from making notes to doing more exam questions.
Mark your exam answers against mark schemes and id where you lost marks. Dont lose them next time and improve.

Its all about organised and controlled effort to deliver you to the exam room in the best shape and exam ready.

If you want the higher marks then you have to work for them.

I see you posted this on one of my previous threads. I'll just reply here.

For sciences, always refer to your specification and start making detailed notes based on them. Make sure you don't end up writing a lot that you don't need. I also reccomend a youtube channel called freesciencelessons who I think is the best for science GCSE.

Since you are in Year 10, you shouldn't really feel this concerened about what grades you are getting. Try to take the Year 11 mocks seriously, but a lot can change in a year so don't worry.
Original post by 999tigger
Decide what tasks you have to do for each subject.
Basically make notes or practice exams
Make a timetable and split the tasks out between the time left.
The notes should be revision notes i.e condensed. You can also use flashcards and mind maps.

Set yourself targets to reach every few weeks and the big one should be the transition from making notes to doing more exam questions.
Mark your exam answers against mark schemes and id where you lost marks. Dont lose them next time and improve.

Its all about organised and controlled effort to deliver you to the exam room in the best shape and exam ready.

If you want the higher marks then you have to work for them.

How did you have the motivation after school to sit down and revise? Honestly more days than not I just cannot be bothered. Any tips?
Original post by Ukvoltaire
I see you posted this on one of my previous threads. I'll just reply here.

For sciences, always refer to your specification and start making detailed notes based on them. Make sure you don't end up writing a lot that you don't need. I also reccomend a youtube channel called freesciencelessons who I think is the best for science GCSE.

Since you are in Year 10, you shouldn't really feel this concerened about what grades you are getting. Try to take the Year 11 mocks seriously, but a lot can change in a year so don't worry.

How did you have the motivation after school to sit down and revise? Honestly more days than not I just cannot be bothered. Any tips?

Fear.
Think about failing or not getting onto the course you want to.
Be well organised and just do your tasks for the day. Relax after that.
It starts to ad up.

If you cant be bothered then you dont deserve the grades and other people will get them.
I didn't have motivation either, and I still don't at A-Level. It's self-discipline that got me through GCSEs and is getting me through A-Level. I have this "it wasn't a request, it was an order" mindset when it comes to work and so I kinda just get on with it. Just tell yourself you don't have a choice.

I dunno if that's the most mentally sustainable thing to do though lol idk it makes self care a lot more important. That's something I should work on, I guess.

When I was nearing the exams, I had the general fear of not doing well, so using that fear, I made sure I sat down and did plenty of revision in order to get decent grades.

Also try to think long term, because you have to put work in to get those amazing grades. So any day you come from school and you feel like you aren't bothered to revise, just take a moment to think how this will affect you long term goals, which is to get good grades.

As soon as you come home, quickly get ready to work and avoid any distractions possible. You should try to enter home next time with the mind set to work hard.

Here are two paths:

1. Come home and work hard ---> Good grades ---> Good future

2. Come home and slack around ---> Terrible grades ---> Struggles later on

Choose which path you want to take. 1 or 2?

Remember working hard now, can help you avoid problems like finding a sixth form and coping with A-Levels.

Also try to think about the effort you parents are taking for your GCSEs by creating a desk space for you, buying you all the resources you ask etc. Take this into consideration so that you'll be motivated to study.

One final thing: Do not let anything set you back. Suppose you have a family member who constantly drags you down or a friend/classmate at school. Just tell yourself that you are the only person that can decide if you can do it or not it and essentially ignore the demotivater if you can.

Hope this advice was useful and not too pressurising. I now truly wish I followed some of these tips during my GCSE years, but it is too late now.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest