The Student Room Group

Relationships at 14yo

I literally have no self esteem now. My friends and I don't have a boyfriend, although I'm sure they could easily get one if they wanted, because they're so outgoing and pretty. I'm more of an academic and sensitive person than a popular and attractive one. Do I have any chance with boys? I wouldn't even know how to talk to one without them losing interest. I'm also way too scared to tell a boy that I like him, if I do.

I've never had a boyfriend but girls my age seem to be getting through a boyfriend a month, yet nobody seems to be interested in me at all.
Also lots of girls are out in mixed gender groups with different year groups, going to late night parties and wearing tight short dresses and lots of makeup. Do I have to do this to get a boyfriend? Does it matter at the age of 14?
Because now I feel like iI'll be alone forever and it just doesn't seem possible that anyone will ever ask me out.

Scroll to see replies

The age just keeps getting lower and lower smh:colonhash:
Relationships at that age are non-serious and typically mean very little in the long run. Wouldn't stress over it.
Original post by Anonymous
I literally have no self esteem now. My friends and I don't have a boyfriend, although I'm sure they could easily get one if they wanted, because they're so outgoing and pretty. I'm more of an academic and sensitive person than a popular and attractive one. Do I have any chance with boys? I wouldn't even know how to talk to one without them losing interest. I'm also way too scared to tell a boy that I like him, if I do.

I've never had a boyfriend but girls my age seem to be getting through a boyfriend a month, yet nobody seems to be interested in me at all.
Also lots of girls are out in mixed gender groups with different year groups, going to late night parties and wearing tight short dresses and lots of makeup. Do I have to do this to get a boyfriend? Does it matter at the age of 14?
Because now I feel like iI'll be alone forever and it just doesn't seem possible that anyone will ever ask me out.

You are 14, stop worrying, look also at the fact they change boyfriends every month. I wouldn't want to be with someone just for the sake of being in a relationship. Focus on your studies and living your life.

i am exactly the same and feel the same (but im a male aged 15)
You're only 14 years old! Relax

I agree with that user, relationships at that age are non serious.

Just relax, have fun, enjoy yourself and your life.

When you leave school you'll have more opportunities anyway as you get older.

You're only 14! Have more confidence in yourself, you are you and you deserve the best life has to offer.

Don't worry you're a very young person and focus on your future.
(edited 6 years ago)
Don't stress over whether or not you're in a relationship at this age, if you were in one it'd be meaningless anyway as proved by other girls 'getting through a boyfriend a month'. Don't care about what others think/are doing, just focus on school, enjoy your teenage years, and worry about that later.
Original post by Baza2002
i am exactly the same and feel the same (but im a male aged 15)

Both you and OP are still babies in the relationship world, dw about it

Don't be a sheep
Reply 8
Original post by Analyst89
You're only 14 years old! Relax

I agree with that user, relationships at that age are non serious.

Just relax, have fun, enjoy yourself and your life.

When you leave school you'll have more opportunities anyway as you get older.

You're only 14! Have more confidence in yourself, you are you and you deserve the best life has to offer.

Don't worry you're a very young person and focus on your future.

Thank you for this, I still just imagine myself alone like forever though :frown:
You feel alone now and you feel like you'll be forever alone but wait 5 years and you'll be thinking very different and kicking you 14 year old self for thinking like this.
Don't worry about having a boyfriend right now.

As I said enjoy and live your life.

As you get older you could try online dating, speed dating, meeting guys from education, having hobbies, joining clubs out of interest, through your network, through work, through meet up's and going out.
Original post by GalGirl101
You feel alone now and you feel like you'll be forever alone but wait 5 years and you'll be thinking very different and kicking you 14 year old self for thinking like this.

It just seems impossible to find any boys who would want to go out with me whatever my age is because I'm not that pretty
Original post by Analyst89
Don't worry about having a boyfriend right now.

As I said enjoy and live your life.

As you get older you could try online dating, speed dating, meeting guys from education, having hobbies, joining clubs out of interest, through your network, through work, through meet up's and going out.

Ok, thank you
Hi Hun, you are 14 you really don’t need to worry about that sort of thing. I have been in your exact position when all my friends are going off and getting boyfriends and I felt like the most unattractive person in the world. I worried no one would ever want me and I didn’t even know how to flirt with boys. But please do remember just because your friends or other people at school are doesn’t mean you have to as well. Get your head down in school, push on with your school work. Find a hobby or sport and put any extra energy into that. Use this time to find yourself, create memories, develop an interesting and complex personality. That way when you are a little older you will meet someone and actually be able to develop a deep and meaningful relationship with someone, not just messing around on the School yard. You don’t need a boyfriend. I met my boyfriend when I was 16 (which is still young) and the only way I could accept another significant person in my life was because I was happy by myself and on my own. If you are desperate for guys and relationship won’t be half as fulfilling. Please just be your self, work hard in school and don’t get caught up in the whole boyfriend mess at your age, it certainly isn’t what makes you a grown up (although I can remember feeling like it would) and just enjoy your life ☺️ x
Reply 14
At 14, I was still watching Disney shows about silly crushes.

It's really not a big deal for you at your age.
LOOOL. You are only 14, relationships at your age mean absolutely nothing. wait 4 years, mature a little and you will be beating them away with a stick. And no, you do not need to wear makeup and tightt clothing to get attention.
You sounded exactly like me at 14. I didn't get my first boyfriend until 18 and I had to go to another continent for that. You're honestly totally fine and cool and normal.
your just 14 you got a whole life ahead of you my first gf was ate 19 0r 20 I bealive
im Realy picky im 21 now have the same girl
depends on you deep inside you know what you want ": and just couse everyone is doing this in that you is you they are they
focus on yourself look ate yourself your attributes what you like about yourself what people complement you on yourself
and take time to love yourself first
"before you Go on and try to love someone else couse daim thats complicated
the rest you gonna find out on your own either the good or bad way both are good
couse thats how you learn in life 🙂🙇

1. There’s a word for girls who get through a boyfriend a month- please don’t follow their ways just to get a boyfriend
2. Please don’t think you’ll be alone forever, there’s someone for everyone and I was scared to tell a boy I liked him and all but not as much now, I pretty much had the same worries as you, it gets easier over time and I wouldn’t stress too much over it
What? Relationships at 14? And I thought I was edgy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending