The Student Room Group

Computer Game Arts Portfolio - Fan art or no?

To keep things brief, I have a computer game arts interview coming up shortly. I happen to do art for a very popular fan site for a game and mentioned this in my personal statement, so does that mean it'd be okay to include some of the work I did for the site in my portfolio? I know most courses are death on seeing fan art or anything resembling anime in someone's portfolio, but since they were happy enough with the contents of my personal statement, would it be safe to include such work in my portfolio in addition to my work that includes entirely original creations? Please let me know what you guys think ^^
Original post by cheesemine
To keep things brief, I have a computer game arts interview coming up shortly. I happen to do art for a very popular fan site for a game and mentioned this in my personal statement, so does that mean it'd be okay to include some of the work I did for the site in my portfolio? I know most courses are death on seeing fan art or anything resembling anime in someone's portfolio, but since they were happy enough with the contents of my personal statement, would it be safe to include such work in my portfolio in addition to my work that includes entirely original creations? Please let me know what you guys think ^^

has the university given any specific portfolio guidance?
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
has the university given any specific portfolio guidance?

Understanding of colour theory Understanding of perspective Practised in figure drawing Practised in location drawing A genuine proven interest in game art production Demonstration of research and investigation Demonstration of the ability to use reference Experience of 3D software is beneficial and recommended

These are the main points they've provided ^^ Nothing says no anime or fan art but I have heard from other computer game arts courses and all art courses in general that both of those should never be put in :/ Granted, nothing I've drawn has ever come close to generic, bulge-eyed anime styles but I'm still a bit uncertain
Understanding of colour theory Understanding of perspective Practised in figure drawing Practised in location drawing A genuine proven interest in game art production Demonstration of research and investigation Demonstration of the ability to use reference Experience of 3D software is beneficial and recommended

These are the main points they've provided ^^ Nothing says no anime or fan art but I have heard from other computer game arts courses and all art courses in general that both of those should never be put in :/ Granted, nothing I've drawn has ever come close to generic, bulge-eyed anime styles but I'm still a bit uncertain

If the anime work you have you feel fits into 3d software or the types of drawing they are asking for then i would put it in :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
If the anime work you have you feel fits into 3d software or the types of drawing they are asking for then i would put it in :smile:

Yeah, I think it should be fine. Thank you! ^^
Yeah, I think it should be fine. Thank you! ^^

no problem, glad to help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest