The Student Room Group

Care home volunteering

Hi everyone,
I really want to apply for medicine 2019 entry. I have been trying to arrange some long term volunteering at a care home - I have emailed this one place and called three times, and they have agreed to give me weekly volunteering :smile:
They don’t have a volunteering programme and no current volunteers, but they have said that I can help set up a programme. They said I could have a say in the kind of things I do, and are pretty much open to anything!
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what I could do?
or anything they have done volunteering in a care-home that they really enjoyed?
Thank you in advance! :smile:
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:
Reply 2
Original post by K8e.H
Hi everyone,
I really want to apply for medicine 2019 entry. I have been trying to arrange some long term volunteering at a care home - I have emailed this one place and called three times, and they have agreed to give me weekly volunteering :smile:
They don’t have a volunteering programme and no current volunteers, but they have said that I can help set up a programme. They said I could have a say in the kind of things I do, and are pretty much open to anything!
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what I could do?
or anything they have done volunteering in a care-home that they really enjoyed?
Thank you in advance! :smile:

You could look at setting up activities to do with the residents i.e. painting, cake/cookie decorating, puzzles, zumba etc. Ask them what they already have and whether they'd be happy spending money on some cheap supplies. We had a parachute and a soft beach ball that people really enjoyed, and did some 'gardening'.

You could also do things like nail care (painting/cutting nails), or just sitting and having a chat with some of them.

What will be successful will depend on the residents and the level of support that they require. You might even be able to look at their care plans or 'this is me' booklets to see what they enjoyed before they came into the care home, and try to base some of your activities on that.
have you considered joining the voluntary services team at your local hospital?
I was a daffodil girl for a while for DofE.
Reply 4
Original post by ax12
You could look at setting up activities to do with the residents i.e. painting, cake/cookie decorating, puzzles, zumba etc. Ask them what they already have and whether they'd be happy spending money on some cheap supplies. We had a parachute and a soft beach ball that people really enjoyed, and did some 'gardening'.

You could also do things like nail care (painting/cutting nails), or just sitting and having a chat with some of them.

What will be successful will depend on the residents and the level of support that they require. You might even be able to look at their care plans or 'this is me' booklets to see what they enjoyed before they came into the care home, and try to base some of your activities on that.

Thankyou so much! These are all great ideas :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by RuthieG101
have you considered joining the voluntary services team at your local hospital?
I was a daffodil girl for a while for DofE.

I have been volunteering with the Royal Voluntary Service at my local hospital, taking the snack trolley round the wards :smile: Were you a daffodil girl with Marie Curie, or is it something different?
something different.
I did mine 1999. I mainly did office work, but in the physio department I got to see a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending