The Student Room Group

Any uncomfortable exam experiences?

I get that there are similar threads so I apologise for adding to the mix of something that done already. I couldn't be bothered to go looking at old threads so I decided to make one and read stories of uncomfortable situations people have had during exams.

My story:
During Year 11, I was placed in a variety of exam rooms and I sat my Additional Science exam in a small room with three other pupils. I have hayfever which makes the summer an unpleasant season. On the day of the Chemistry exam, my hayfever was particularly bad and I spent the whole exam sneezing and/or coughing every five seconds. Probably a bit of an exaggeration but it was constant. I felt sorry for the other three who had to sit their exam listening to me sneeze throughout the paper. Not a nice experience for any of us.

Another story:
Not really uncomfortable (amusing if anything). My school has a Flying Start centre (playgroup) in the Tech department. This room was located next to my exam room for Maths: Unit 2. It was the last GCSE exam so we were pretty hyped for the upcoming 11 week holiday. It started off normal until the Flying Start centre starting playing songs during the paper; it was a bit distracting trying to answer Maths questions with the Shaun The Sheep theme playing on a loop, but amusing all the same. :laugh:

Sorry for such a long post! Feel free to share your own experiences.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
During the first few minutes of an English Lit GCSE exam, I had to use the toilet really badly... Something I ate for breakfast did not agree with me :rofl: But I had to wait for 15 minutes as they don't allow anyone out in the first part of the exam... Most uncomfortable 15 minutes of my life but I did get an A for it. At least I had something to be happy about instead of worrying that I'd **** my pants.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by UWS
During the first few minutes of an English Lit GSCE exam, I had to use the toilet really badly... Something I ate for breakfast did not agree with me :rofl: But I had to wait for 15 minutes as they don't allow anyone out in the first part of the exam... Most uncomfortable 15 minutes of my life but I did get an A for it. At least I had something to be happy about instead of worrying that I'd **** my pants.

Ironic. You spelt GCSE wrong. Just thought I would point it out.

Spoiler

Reply 3
I sat a metaphysics exam once and the heating in the lecture theatre was so high that someone passed out (true). Was awful.
My Spanish GCSE listening (mock) exam (I think it was a mock:hmmmm:) was in a little office (I'm deaf so had special things). The office was located next to a music classroom. I heard music. Loud music. If I remember correctly it was Katy Perry's hot and cold.:colondollar:
During my English exam I ran out to the nearest toilet and vomit. I was so embarrassed to come back in the hall with the whole school looking at me because I just ran out to vomit. Lol
Reply 6
You know what is really uncomfortable during exam season? Sitting in that room like it's a hot oven because of the hot from the summer and the sweat you get when you see that ****ing ****ty exam paper
My Eng lang GCSE paper we had done our Exam in the hall and it was summer the air conditioning wasn't working because of repairs it was 40 degrees Celsius in the hall couldn't even concentrate two people had fainted during the exam it was a horrible experience

1 hour and 45 minutes.I had to sit through that.

Just a quick mention I had also finished 6 330ml water bottles.
Reply 8
I remember sitting my sociology exam when the most annoying boy in my year started kicking the back of my chair.

Thankfully, I still passed that exam but my gosh it was annoying.

On my English exam, I panicked and wrote absolutely nothing but thankfully the other paper was ok
Had to retake my Spanish GCSE oral about 50 times because I slur my words a bit and was so anxious. Got an A in the end by some miracle
For school exams, we were all in a big room, so we could have up to about 200 people sitting exams together...

When everyone was in, we were given the instructions and told to write our name and info down on the paper. I remember sitting there feeling a little bit dodgy but just put it down to nerves. We were then told that we could start, and I remember opening the paper, but just thought I gotta get some air, so put my hand up to ask to go outside for a few minutes... Well, let's just say the examiner wasn't too happy I'd been sick all over their shoes... :/ Can still picture the sick from me, and from her shoes going down my row...

Still feel sorry for what must have been a horrendous smell... felt much better after getting it all out though!
Original post by Know Your Enemy
I get that there are similar threads so I apologise for adding to the mix of something that done already. I couldn't be bothered to go looking at old threads so I decided to make one and read stories of uncomfortable situations people have had during exams.

My story:
During Year 11, I was placed in a variety of exam rooms and I sat my Additional Science exam in a small room with three other pupils. I have hayfever which makes the summer an unpleasant season. On the day of the Chemistry exam, my hayfever was particularly bad and I spent the whole exam sneezing and/or coughing every five seconds. Probably a bit of an exaggeration but it was constant. I felt sorry for the other three who had to sit their exam listening to me sneeze throughout the paper. Not a nice experience for any of us.

Another story:
Not really uncomfortable (amusing if anything). My school has a Flying Start centre (playgroup) in the Tech department. This room was located next to my exam room for Maths: Unit 2. It was the last GCSE exam so we were pretty hyped for the upcoming 11 week holiday. It started off normal until the Flying Start centre starting playing songs during the paper; it was a bit distracting trying to answer Maths questions with the Shaun The Sheep theme playing on a loop, but amusing all the same. :laugh:

Sorry for such a long post! Feel free to share your own experiences.

Not so much uncomfortable more like funny, we had a break between our English literature mock on our novel and drama text and I almost missed the second part as I spent too long trying to fix the dripping taps in the toilets so I just ran in when they were shutting the doors but it was all fine :smile:
During my GCSEs, due to unfortunate scheduling, I was in a 2-hour Science exam followed immediately (with only a 10 minute gap) by a French exam. I had to leg it across the school site in order to make it on time. Luckily the French exam's start time was pushed back a little due to an overrunning exam in the same room, but I can still remember the panic I felt. Not a good end/start to an exam!
worst exam experience had got to be when i was sitting my national 5 english prelim paper one, it was about 15 minutes in when my phone went off 3 times. luckily the invigilators did not know who it was but my nerves were shot and sadly only scored 14/30 on that paper luckily tho i done a lot better on paper 2 and scored 35/40.
I had an Ancient History exam in the main hall rather than the sports hall and it's not really equipped for exams. It was super stuffy, but if you opened the windows then the blinds get repeatedly battered against the window because of the breeze, so for the whole exam there were examiners walking up and down the aisles opening and closing the blinds.

At the start of one of my Eng Lit GCSE exams, there were some kids kicking their football against the outer wall of the sports hall. Fricking annoying.
When I sat my non-calculator maths GCSE exam I had hiccups the whole way through and there was a pigeon roosting and flapping around above our heads in the sports hall we were in
Reply 16
Don't really have any uncomfortable experiences apart from literally writing nothing in one of my Triple science papers and my pen running out in my maths gcse exam.
Original post by 04MR17
My Spanish GCSE listening (mock) exam (I think it was a mock:hmmmm:) was in a little office (I'm deaf so had special things). The office was located next to a music classroom. I heard music. Loud music. If I remember correctly it was Katy Perry's hot and cold.:colondollar:

Similar things have happened to us. Our school has a leisure centre of the same name and I vaguely remember hearing songs during some of our mocks in Year 9 or 10 (the sports hall is the main exam room). Might've been actual exams, dunno.
Original post by The PoliticalGuy
My Eng lang GCSE paper we had done our Exam in the hall and it was summer the air conditioning wasn't working because of repairs it was 40 degrees Celsius in the hall couldn't even concentrate two people had fainted during the exam it was a horrible experience

1 hour and 45 minutes.I had to sit through that.

Just a quick mention I had also finished 6 330ml water bottles.

God, that sounds dreadful! So glad we've never had that problem.
Original post by CoolCavy
Had to retake my Spanish GCSE oral about 50 times because I slur my words a bit and was so anxious. Got an A in the end by some miracle

That sounds tedious lol. But well done for getting the A!

Quick Reply

Latest