The Student Room Group

Best tips to love myself and accept myself

I am 18 and MISERABLE.

I turned 18 2 days ago and i keep thinking ab how ive wasted my whole life being miserable and desperate to be loved.

I have good friends and have always had friends but my relationship with my parents is complicated and it’s started to show through my teacher attachment issues💔

It’s getting REALLy bad and I need to be able to control my emotions better especially at this age. How do I detach myself from my teachers and control my emotions better and stop constantly seekinf validation? Does anybody have any tips
Self love journeys are not easy. You have to go into it with the mindset that you will have bad days and good days. It’s not gonna be perfect in anyway. You have to make sure you do the best for yourself everyday.
These are a few tips from me. Of course this list is not exhaustive and I’m sure more people will give you more advice.
1) You have to learn to enjoy the company of yourself. That might mean you dedicate some time to yourself, e.g. journalling in the evening before you go to bed.
2) You need to become comfortable with feeling uncomfortable. Push your limits. Trying new things like going to a coffee shop alone, which might for example make you feel uncomfortable if you are dependant on the company of others.
3) Validation from others will never help you feel fulfilled. If you remember that statement then you might be less likely to seek that validation from others, and try to look for it within yourself. Because there is nothing more powerful than the love you have for yourself. That is something other people’s opinions and beliefs won’t be able to affect.

I hope this helped a little bit. And remember to take it one day at a time. You are still young and have so much more to experience. You should be proud of yourself for trying to become better now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending