The Student Room Group

Transfer from Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rattie
Yes, I guess it's far better if she's talking to someone she knows and can properly convey the situation, rather than it just being me they don't know if I'm ********ting!

Unofficially… one of my supervisors, who did give me a class prediction, said 2:1 at the end of last term, but I'd been quite unwell and handed in several sub-par essays, some of which were just plans. My tutor has said I'm excelling and was their top-listed candidate of those who applied (although I'm at a college which gets few applications and takes lots of people from the pool, and also the admissions process is irrelevant once you're here!), but not much more than that. I think the general idea is that I have potential, but am not meeting it because of these health problems, and the pressure here is making those worse.

Are your health problems ongoing or likely to improve? (Whether at Cambridge or any other uni?)

One supervisor assessed you as a 2.1 despite only handing in essay plans on occasion? That would be a good sign whether you stay or go.

No wonder that both of Them are Muddying the Waters for you by saying they don't want you to leave... 10 bonus points for anyone who knows what I'm on about here!!! 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by ageshallnot
Are your health problems ongoing or likely to improve? (Whether at Cambridge or any other uni?)

Ongoing, but severely exacerbated by stress. I've been referred by my GP and am currently being assessed to see if they can help, and the university are doing what they can, but at the end of the day there's only so much they can do.

One supervisor assessed you as a 2.1 despite only handing in essay plans on occasion? That would be a good sign whether you stay or go.

He might have been taking the fact that I've been ill into account; I'm not sure.

No wonder that both of Them are Muddying the Waters for you by saying they don't want you to leave... 10 bonus points for anyone who knows what I'm on about here!!! 😀

No bloody idea :biggrin:
Original post by Rattie
Argh, that place is full of people who go/want to go to Cambridge! But thanks…

I love the course in lots of ways. Love the lectures, get 1:1 supervisions, which are amazing, such a privilege, they're really fun and I feel I learn so much from them… it's just the workload is making me ill and I'm falling way behind; I don't think it's right for me.

It’s quite possible you’re suffering from very typical first year syndromes....:wink:
You’ve had one term and a bit, and that’s when many first years find it overwhelming and too much for them.
But most of them gradually learn to live and cope with it.

I’d advise you to talk to your college parents or someone senior. I’m sure you’ll find quite a few who’ve been there, overcome and are glad they persevered.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Rattie

No bloody idea :biggrin:

I wonder if an oldie like @Doonesbury knows??? :biggrin:
Reply 24
Original post by vincrows
It’s quite possible you’re suffering from very typical first year syndromes....:wink:
You’ve had one term and a bit, and that’s when many first years find it overwhelming and too much for them.
But most of them gradually learn to live and cope with it.

I’d advise you to talk to your college parents or someone senior. I’m sure you’ll find quite a few who’ve been there, overcome and are glad they persevered.

I'm sure I remember something about college parents… not a clue who they are :biggrin:

Yes, first-year wobbles are a thing… I'm also quite familiar with my health problems, though, and the way they are at the moment, I'm walking a very dangerous line.

I'm talking to my tutor I don't really know anyone in years above mine, but I could try.
Reply 25
Original post by Rattie
Argh, that place is full of people who go/want to go to Cambridge! But thanks…

I love the course in lots of ways. Love the lectures, get 1:1 supervisions, which are amazing, such a privilege, they're really fun and I feel I learn so much from them… it's just the workload is making me ill and I'm falling way behind; I don't think it's right for me.

I can move it back out, but this is also where the people who have done or are doing your course are...

It is *extremely* common for first years to find the workload overwhelming and daunting. Honestly. The whole thing is a completely new experience for everyone and you are in at the (very) deep end.

BUT as you've said yourself, your Prelims don't really matter, your weekly essays don't really matter, and you don't have to be at 90% (or 110%) every day.

Does your DoS say you are falling behind? Are they, or your Tutor, as worried as you are?

I'm tagging @Parliament - a 3rd year English student who might be able to give you some insights on surviving first year at Cambridge :smile:
Reply 26
I haven't really been happy here since I arrived, and the health problems started within the first couple of weeks :frown:

The workload is way more than I can handle; I came here from a part-time course (was advised to do part-time because, again, of these sodding health problems) six hours of lessons a week, and a total of two assignments a term.
Original post by Rattie
I'm sure I remember something about college parents… not a clue who they are :biggrin:

Yes, first-year wobbles are a thing… I'm also quite familiar with my health problems, though, and the way they are at the moment, I'm walking a very dangerous line.

I'm talking to my tutor I don't really know anyone in years above mine, but I could try.

Probably you haven’t had time to check this forum much since you started at Cambridge, but we’ve already had a few threads started by the current first years (on various courses) talking about the similar things; not coping, finding it too much, wanting to drop out/transfer, etc, etec, etc....
And we have similar phenomena EVERY year.
Honestly, try to hang on for a while. It will get better.
I also know a few who had to deal with it while they’re suffering from their underlying mental issues, too. And the way college/the university supporte them were quite good. So,if you feel you need some help in that, never hesitate Tomask for the help. They are used to dealing with students with various health problems and they have good established supporting system for it.

You really NOT alone.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 28
Thanks, I hope @Parliament has something helpful to say… I do feel we're moving away from my original question here, though :biggrin: Although from what you say, the module credits aren't strictly necessary. So it's a case of trying to work out if there's anyone who'll take a late application from a transfer student…

The thing about this sub-forum is that by definition it's people who *haven't* transferred from Cambridge :biggrin: so I'm not sure how many people there are around who have experience of the process.
Original post by Rattie
Thanks, I hope @Parliament has something helpful to say… I do feel we're moving away from my original question here, though :biggrin: Although from what you say, the module credits aren't strictly necessary. So it's a case of trying to work out if there's anyone who'll take a late application from a transfer student…

The thing about this sub-forum is that by definition it's people who *haven't* transferred from Cambridge :biggrin: so I'm not sure how many people there are around who have experience of the process.

You know well I know dozens of Cambridge graduates, right?
So naturally I know many who were feeling the same when they’re were a first year. But I don’t know any who actually dropped out or transferred, even though some of them were really seriously talking about it.
I don’t see much difference in what you’re saying/feeling and what they’re were like. :wink:

Just over a term is Waaaaay too early to decide if Cambridge is for you or not,
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 30
Probably you haven’t had time to check this forum much since you started at Cambridge, but we’ve already had a few threads started by the current first years (on various courses) talking about the similar things; not coping, finding it too much, wanting to drop out/transfer, etc, etec, etc....
And we have similar phenomena EVERY year.
Honestly, try to hang on for a while. It will get better.
I also know a few who had to deal with it while they’re suffering from their underlying mental issues, too. And the way college/the university supporte them were quite good. So,if you feel you need some help in that, never hesitate Tomask for the help. They are used to dealing with students with various health problems and they have good established supporting system for it.

You really NOT alone.

Thanks :smile: I get that it's a common experience and I know it's a cliché… I also know that unfortunately intermitting or dropping out aren't an option, which makes life a little harder when it comes to planning.

I'm already getting all the support I can possibly get :biggrin: They're being as helpful as they possibly can.
Reply 31
Original post by Rattie
I haven't really been happy here since I arrived, and the health problems started within the first couple of weeks :frown:

The workload is way more than I can handle; I came here from a part-time course (was advised to do part-time because, again, of these sodding health problems) six hours of lessons a week, and a total of two assignments a term.

So, as @ageshallnot was hinting, be careful assuming the workload at a different university will be hugely, er, different.

I have quite literally zero experience of doing English at Cambridge but I suspect the answer may lie in working "smarter" (I hate that phrase but actually there's something in it) and playing the system. Other posters can provide more concrete strategies on how to actually do that.

Also, do you have any interests outside the academic side? Any sports/societies/friends that can distract and refresh you?
Original post by Rattie
Thanks :smile: I get that it's a common experience and I know it's a cliché… I also know that unfortunately intermitting or dropping out aren't an option, which makes life a little harder when it comes to planning.

I'm already getting all the support I can possibly get :biggrin: They're being as helpful as they possibly can.

If you have any underlying health issue, there’s no better place than Cambridge for the support system. Collegiate structure makes it possible to keep an eye on you and the university/college are rich enough to provide necessary support.

You said you like the course and your DoS seems to be happy with your academic standard. And that’s really a good thing.
Other things can be sorted out gradually. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by Doonesbury
So, as @ageshallnot was hinting, be careful assuming the workload at a different university will be hugely, er, different.

This is true; I was wondering whether to apply for part-time courses for this reason. I have friends at other universities who also talk about their workload and how hard it is, and I do believe them! But they're also not getting 25-book Christmas reading lists or two essays a week 😒

I have quite literally zero experience of doing English at Cambridge but I suspect the answer may lie in working "smarter" (I hate that phrase but actually there's something in it) and playing the system. Other posters can provide more concrete strategies on how to actually do that.

Blech, I hate it too :biggrin: Must've been physically painful to type. Better strategies might help but my health is really bad; before, when it's been this bad, it's not been long until some fairly long hospital stays, and I did have to have some emergency treatment last term.

Also, do you have any interests outside the academic side? Any sports/societies/friends that can distract and refresh you?

Not really; my hobby is reading… I joined a couple of things and meet friends for stuff, but have just run out of energy for it.
Reply 34
I wonder if an oldie like @Doonesbury knows??? :biggrin:

The Muddy Waters track covered by Them :smile:

Spoiler

Original post by Rattie
I joined a couple of things and meet friends for stuff, but have just run out of energy for it.

It's VERY important you make time for things like this. Even if it's just to go for a wander along the Backs or whatever.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 35
You know well I know dozens of Cambridge graduates, right?
So naturally I know many who were feeling the same when they’re were a first year. But I don’t know any who actually dropped out or transferred, even though some of them were really seriously talking about it.
I don’t see much difference in what you’re saying/feeling and what they’re were like. :wink:

Just over a term is Waaaaay too early to decide if Cambridge is for you or not,

I had no idea whether you knew lots of Cambridge graduates or just emerged from the seventeenth dimension, sorry…:colondollar: (I'm bad with names. And faces. And basically knowing who anyone is in general.)

If you have any underlying health issue, there’s no better place than Cambridge for the support system. Collegiate structure makes it possible to keep an eye on you and the university/college are rich enough to provide necessary support.

You said you like the course and your DoS seems to be happy with your academic standard. And that’s really a good thing.
Other things can be sorted out gradually. :smile:

My college is poor 😂 And my DoSes are generally happy sorts.

I would really like to stay, but I would also really like to make sure I have an alternative i.e. transfer.
Reply 36
I haven't really had a chance to talk with my DoS lately.
The Muddy Waters track covered by Them :smile:

Spoiler

Correct of course! @Rattie
Reply 38
Why'd you tag me? :biggrin:
Original post by Rattie
I had no idea whether you knew lots of Cambridge graduates or just emerged from the seventeenth dimension, sorry…:colondollar: (I'm bad with names. And faces. And basically knowing who anyone is in general.)

My college is poor 😂 And my DoSes are generally happy sorts.

I would really like to stay, but I would also really like to make sure I have an alternative i.e. transfer.

Whatever you say, it won’t change what I’ve said already.
It’s way too early to decide.
Just after one term and a bit is just like you’re still in the entrance hall of a big house.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending