The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think i'm a bit to lazy to click on the link, can you post it here instead ?:biggrin:
Here's the full article:

Spoiler

I don't have a problem with tuition fees or the interest rates. It is basically a 9% tax on earnings over £25k regardless of anything else. Most will never pay it off and have the loans wiped out after 30 years. That is my strategy.
Original post by Napp
I think i'm a bit to lazy to click on the link, can you post it here instead ?:biggrin:

Poster below has :smile:
Original post by JennLousie
Here's the full article:

Spoiler

Thankyou :smile:
Original post by ByEeek
I don't have a problem with tuition fees or the interest rates. It is basically a 9% tax on earnings over £25k regardless of anything else. Most will never pay it off and have the loans wiped out after 30 years. That is my strategy.

That is my thinking too now :tongue: to be fair before I thought you pay 9% on all your earnings but now I realised that it's not :laugh: so now don't really care :h:
Reply 7
Original post by ByEeek

Same - after 6 years in uni I don't want to know how much I owe them, and I'm 100% certain I will never pay it back. If you think of it as a tax for going to uni, it's a bit nicer to think about...
Won't affect me, I'll pay my fees in full; my family invested inheritance money into education and real estate.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Science99999
Won't affect me, I'll pay my fees in fund; my family invested inheritance money into education and real estate.

That’s literally the point that the article is making
Original post by ax12
That’s literally the point that the article is making

:biggrin:
The biggest issue is when terms such as debt, interest etc are used - it scares, it shocks and it provokes the majority to draw parallels from a traditional loan or mortgage when it’s not dealt with the same way, the optics looks awful when in reality it makes perfect sense.

The mainstream popular sounding option of scrapping fees sounds great, but in reality, it benefits only the richest.
(edited 6 years ago)
I do think courses like nursing should still be free tho
Original post by ByEeek

Your 'strategy' is to make sure you never earn enough money to pay off your debts?

Pretty much sums up the perversity of the present tuition fees system tbqh.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Your 'strategy' is to make sure you never earn enough money to pay off your debts?

My friend has applied for film studies and creative writing and when I asked why (she originally wanted to astrophysics but missed the AS grades and predictions) she just said "well I'm never going to earn over £21,000 anyway so I may as well just do something I enjoy"
Original post by ByEeek

So you are going to get someone else to pay your debts?

The ideology of the political left, in a nutshell.

I'll give you one thing, you practice what you preach.
Original post by generallee

How much income tax do you pay per year? Go on, given that you're rather judgemental about others using public services...
Original post by TimmonaPortella

Well the current system is pretty much a graduate tax in all but name really. The vast majority of graduates won't pay it all off and even the ones who do won't do it with much of the 30 year period to spare.

There is the option of making voluntary payments if you're earning a particularly high amount but the general advice is that people would be better off spending additional money elsewhere.

Also worth mentioning that people who do pay it off will paying upwards of £100k for a course that cost £27k which is pretty ridiculous in and of itself but meh.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by DeBruyne18
Well the current system is pretty much a graduate tax in all but name really. The vast majority of graduates won't pay it all off and even the ones who do won't do it with much of the 30 year period to spare.

There is the option of making voluntary payments if you're earning a particularly high amount but the general advice is that people would be better off spending additional money elsewhere.

Also worth mentioning that people who do pay it off will paying upwards of £100k for a course that cost £27k which is pretty ridiculous in and of itself but meh.

I'm sorry but I can't approach that with a 'meh' attitude. The result of this is that the people who actually put their degrees to profitable use end up paying full whack for their education, at a price that you clearly consider too high. Meanwhile, those who squandered their education pay little to nothing. They are rewarded, for some reason, for their inability to turn their education into monetary gain. This is the perversity I was talking about above.

That it is veering too close to a graduate tax system is the problem. The first step the government should take in this regard should be very substantially to strengthen the repayment terms applicable to student loans. If you choose to take a degree, the presumption should be that you pay your bills afterwards.
Reply 19
Original post by generallee

If your university degree does nothing else for you, learn how to spell 'practise' as a verb!

Quick Reply

Latest