The Student Room Group

How does a 3.87 US GPA Look in the UK?

Hey all, I'm graduating this May with a B.A. in English and want to study English literature (not entirely sure what time span) in the UK. I feel like I've done really well in undergrad, but I'm not entirely sure how this compares. Any thoughts?
Assuming it is out of 4, It is broadly enough to meet the minimum standards for both Oxford and Cambridge, so it is very likely that it would meet the minimum requirements elsewhere as well. Most universities list such information on their websites so I would advise that you go and take a look at those which interest you, and send some emails to the relevant departments if something isn't clear.

Oxford: For applicants with a degree from the USA, the minimum GPA sought is 3.75 (with at least 3.85 in the major) out of 4.0.
Cambridge: Bachelor’s degree from a recognised university with an overall GPA 3.7/4; GPA 4.6/5
Reply 2
I looked at that, but I'm wondering where my GPA ranks. Is it closer to an upper second or a first?
Original post by Baumer
I looked at that, but I'm wondering where my GPA ranks. Is it closer to an upper second or a first?

I don't think there is a definitive answer, but typically it is either a high 2:1 or a 1st.

I'm not an expert on the way UK universities process US applications, but The Fullbright Commission suggests a 4.0 is equivalent to a 1st, which would make your grade a high 2.1. I can't really say how accurate that is, but it seems to be roughly in line with information found on university websites.
It's a first. It also depends on the prestige of your university/program, but at Oxford a strong upper second is equivalent to either 3.7 or 3.75, depending on the department, so 3.87 will definitely be seen as a first. At Cambridge they require 3.7 for first and 3.6 for high upper second, but again it varies by faculty I think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending