The Student Room Group

Law Recommended Reading (Personal Statement)

Hi,

I'm applying to study Law (applying for entry in 2019), and was wondering what books are best to read to put onto my Personal Statement.

I've already read Letter's to a Law Student, but was just curious as to what other books I can read to put on there- I've also read Hobbes Leviathan but I'm unsure how to link it to law

Thanks lads
Original post by Rkuda
Hi,

I'm applying to study Law (applying for entry in 2019), and was wondering what books are best to read to put onto my Personal Statement.

I've already read Letter's to a Law Student, but was just curious as to what other books I can read to put on there- I've also read Hobbes Leviathan but I'm unsure how to link it to law

Thanks lads

Have a look at course structures and read around what will be taught.
I personally wouldn't bother - most book references are wasted space. Instead you should concentrate on why you want to read law and what you have to offer.

Definitely don't reference letters to a law student - it's hugely over referenced.
I wouldn't go devoting much or any of your precious characters in the personal statement to rhyming-off books that you may have read.
The only way I could see this adding value would be something to the effect of "having first identified law as a potential subject of interest, I was spurred to review the course descriptors at my applicant institutions and to study some of the core texts that I will encounter in first-year. This cemented my enthusiasm for the subject and left me increasingly determined to make a career in law."

...Or something like that.
Reply 4
Original post by Rkuda
Hi,

Thanks lads

Hey,

I received 5 offers based off my PS/LNAT, including an offer (where I have firmed) from LSE which is notoriously 'PS heavy'. My tips:

1) Explain why you want to study law. What drew you to the subject, what interests you about it

2) How have you engaged with the Law in preparation for the course? This may be specifically relevant to your question, but, if you have done some preliminary reading, you can talk about how engaged with a particular aspect of it and completed further research. Don't just say "I have read Letters to a Law Student". You could say (and I haven't read it by the way, but I will use an example". I read X book and found Y interesting. This lead me to research Y and identify A, B and C. This may be think about Z and why this is important to the law/study/whatever. You cannot just list things :smile:

3) How anything you have read/completed/taken part in has affected your decision to apply to study law and how you may think this is relevant to your application. Also, whether it has provided you with any skills you feel will assist you in your study :smile:

Take my advice with a pinch of salt though, I am not an admissions tutor :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending