The Student Room Group

Turning down a prestigious uni for a lower-ranking one?

Hi TSR,

I have an offer from a very prestigious RG uni, top 10 in the UK. Obviously I should be happy about having the opportunity to go to such a great uni, but I'm seriously considering turning it down in favour of a much less prestigious university (about 30 places lower in the league tables).

I've visited both unis and preferred the less prestigious one, because it's more of a campus uni, all a bit more small-scale, and the staff were much more friendly. It seemed to be a place that suits me better, and I also prefer the course content. It's also quite highly regarded for my course, hmore so than the RG uni. However, I do think that the people at the RG uni will be more academically inclined and since I'm quite academical myself, maybe it'll be easier for me to make friends there. And I've just read so much about attending a good uni really helping in further study/employment, so maybe it'd just be plain stupid to turn the RG uni down.

I'm really unsure of what to do, advice would be more than welcome :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm in the same position, I prefer the "less prestigious" one because it's closer to home (almost walking distance). The other uni makes me take the train and I hate public transport/travelling far continuously.
(edited 6 years ago)
you sound like you've already made your mind up, so i hope you enjoy your time at uni :smile:
What are the unis and what is the course you're looking to study?
Reply 4
Yes go for the university that you prefer. Don't use league tables to make your decisions for you. It's not stupid to turn down a more prestigious university, it's more stupid to choose a university just because it's in the top 10. What university is the lower one btw? 30 places down from top 10 isn't even that low. I'm sure you'll be able to find people just as academic as you...
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Notoriety
What are the unis and what is the course you're looking to study?

Edinburgh and Aberdeen, for Neuroscience.

Original post by blawan
Yes go for the university that you prefer. Don't use league tables to make your decisions for you. It's not stupid to turn down a more prestigious university, it's more stupid to choose a university just because it's in the top 10. What university is the lower one btw? 30 places down from top 10 isn't even that low.

Thanks for the advice! :smile: I think you're right, I'm just worried about further study/employment mostly haha.
Reply 6
You should have done your research properly before dong your UCAS application.
Reply 7
League tables are just a guideline IMO - any worthwhile employer will take into a better taught course at a less prestigious university than one that is taught at a lower level at a Russell group.
I go to one in the top 50 and it’s won loads of teaching in excellence awards (and University of the year) so it honestly doesn’t matter!
Original post by Lily048
League tables are just a guideline IMO - any worthwhile employer will take into a better taught course at a less prestigious university than one that is taught at a lower level at a Russell group.
I go to one in the top 50 and it’s won loads of teaching in excellence awards (and University of the year) so it honestly doesn’t matter!

The finance and law sector are obsessed with applicants being educated either at Oxbridge, Imperial, Kings, UCL or LSE. Although, for other subjects this "criteria" is insignificant.
Reply 9
Original post by Pigster
You should have done your research properly before dong your UCAS application.

What a waste.

I suppose there's a reason you can apply to five unis... I simply chose the five unis that I liked most, out of the Scottish ones that is - can't afford tuition fees otherwise.

Original post by Lily048

Thanks for the advice! :smile: I think I shouldn't worry but it's just that everyone around me is urging me to pick the RG uni ugh
Original post by Lily048

Employers aren't going to have a clue which course has won which awards.
The best advice I could say would be to go to which ever one you prefer, look at the differences between the course modules, the accommodation and the city. If it helps make a table of pros and cons and speak to teachers or close friends/family if in doubt for their input on the matter but it will be your choice to make not theirs. Good luck :smile:
Yeah I can understand that for those degrees - but that’s because they have such high number of student applicants. It’s overly competitive and studying at a less prestigious university may affect your employability for those sectors
Well considering I was contacted by an employer yesterday purely because they saw what university I want to it obviously does have some bearing. It’s ignorant to think awards mean nothing - besides pushing universities UP the league tables it also shoves more “prestigious” ones further down
Original post by hysterria
Edinburgh and Aberdeen

There are only two rules for making a successful university choice that will give you a happy 4 years ahead of you:

1) Choose wherever you feel most comfortable.

2) Don't live in Aberdeen.

Seriously, it's bleak and tiny, and expensive, and just... Terrible.
I moved from Aberdeen to Edinburgh last year and it's night and day - speak to some local students and ask them how many plan to stay once they graduate.
I was in this position last year and went for the lower one, even though I got the grades to go to the higher one. My reasons were because it actually offered the specific course I wanted whereas the other one didn't, I felt more at home and welcome at the lower one and I could see myself studying there. I am very happy here and doubt I would have been at the other uni. I'm still determined to get a great degree even though my uni may not be highly ranked. It is best for me.
Original post by Science99999
The finance and law sector are obsessed with applicants being educated either at Oxbridge, Imperial, Kings, UCL or LSE. Although, for other subjects this "criteria" is insignificant.

Not true. Which uni you went to is important in a lot of sectors.
Original post by howitoughttobe
Not true. Which uni you went to is important in a lot of sectors.

Examples? Medicine really don't care which university you go to. Subject degrees arent even considered since it's a subject, and the content is the same. Engineering? Majority of universities that provide engineering courses are highly ranked, in addition to this, having an engineering degree is valued as a whole.
Original post by Science99999
Examples? Medicine really don't care which university you go to. Subject degrees arent even considered since it's a subject, and the content is the same. Engineering? Majority of universities that provide engineering courses are highly ranked, in addition to this, having an engineering degree is valued as a whole.

Engineering definitely do. I'm studying an engineering degree and have family in engineering and where your degree is from is important. And generally office roles tend to favour the more prestigious unis.
😂 😂okay, remain ignorant see how well that serves you in life lol..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending