Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Any tips for memorising words in a language you are learning? Just curious to see everyone's techniques

ReputationRep:
    listen to them over and over or write them down. say them out loud.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hello there! I did GCSE German and Spanish and got A and an A* for my final grade. What I found useful when learning vocabulary is of course, repetition and writing them out, however an app called Quizlet REALLY helped me. It has a great way of working around which words are your weakest point and your strongest point. Highly recommend.

In conclusion...repetition is key! And gradually over a long period of time.

ReputationRep:
    Rote learning gets a bad name but it works for me, not in isolation mind you, throw in other techniques to reinforce learning and hear words in context etc. When I have a LOT to memorise someone talking at me doesn't help me.

By this method I found my vocab was way ahead of others in my level(I am studying for the Spanish DELE, level A2). I also managed to skip the first two levels of the DELE course(A1.1 & A1.2) after taking a level test - this having never studied Spanish formally at any level.

By rote learning, I mean writing words out multiple times, big lists... and also, putting new words/short phrases I come across into an excel sheet and typing them out numerous times. After a few days the ones I dont remember I put them into a separate excel sheet and go over them until I know them.

I reinforce this by listening to Spanish podcasts, Duolingo and reading El Pais and MARCA. Pop any new words/short phrases into the excel sheet and you'll get back to them soon. I am now at nearly 4700 words/phrases in excel and have just started revising from 3000 on - I dont have 100% knowledge of the first 3000 yet, probably nearer 70-75% - but say one day you get 60 words wrong - pop them into a separate excel sheet. Practice them the next day you'll get maybe half of these words right. The next day try them again you'll get 60-70% of these right. Keep doing this and you'll eventually have mastered them all and you can move on. Make sure to take time every 7-10 days to go over all the words you have mastered just to reinforce further as not every one of these words is going to pop up when you read a couple of articles in a Spanish paper or listen to a podcast.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 8, 2018

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.