The Student Room Group

Harris Westminster 2018 Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alxna_1
yes please

Idk if this helps but @thekidwhogames has really good advice and methods as well. I went up by 40 marks after being taught by him for an evening before the exam. His advice and teaching have really helped me improve in huge strides. I strongly recommend following his advice.
(edited 5 years ago)
English Literature - 9
English Language - 9
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 9
Maths - 9
Additional Maths - A
Geography - 9
History - A*
R.S. - 9
French - 8
Latin - 9

French or any language is definitely my worst area.

Do a lot of you guys do Cambridge IGCSE since you have the old grading system?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by freddiesehgal02
Eng lang: 9
Eng lit: 9
Maths: 7 (gonna make that an 8 hopefully)
bio: 8
chem: 8
physics: 8
history: 8
German: 8
Religious studies: 8
Comp sci: 8
Latin: 8
further maths: idk

Freddie ma G!!:girlhit:
Eng lang: 9
Eng lit: 9
Maths: 7 (gonna make that an 8 hopefully)
bio: 8
chem: 8
physics: 8
history: 8
German: 8
Religious studies: 8
Comp sci: 8
Latin: 8
further maths: idk

Dude you went beast mode on these GCSEs. Any advice on how to get those 9s in English. Well done on those impressive grades.
Original post by Jman10101
English Literature - 9
English Language - 9
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 9
Maths - 9
Additional Maths - A
Geography - 9
History - A*
R.S. - 9
French - 8
Latin - 9

I took one Cambridge IGCSE last year, but all the rest of my exams are IGCSE anyways
Original post by alxna_1
yes please

Something that really helped me get to a 7 from a 4 was a website called Maths Explained. I used the paid version, so if you can’t pay, they have a YouTube channel. Maths Genie is also great; if you do a topic from your predicted grade, you should see yourself getting better. I recommend starting a scrapbook of all the topics in the specification (Maths Genie has all of this) and just working through question by question daily. However, if it gets too much, then STOP. My form tutor told me that if you feel stressed or demotivated by revision, then you’re doing it wrong.
Original post by Ihatelife2
English Language - 7
English Literature - 7
Maths - 8
Biology - 8
Chemistry - 8
Physics - 8
History - 8
Geography - 8
Spanish - 5 :frown:😢

damn that's good. that 8 in maths is pretty noice
English Literature - 9
English Language - 9
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 9
Maths - 9
Additional Maths - A
Geography - 9
History - A*
R.S. - 9
French - 8
Latin - 9

Holy shiiiiiish kebab!!!
I think you may have just blitzed everyone in terms of grades.
How the hell did you get that high?!?!
No one in my school has that many 9s. Do you go to a really good private school or something?
Idk if this helps but @thekidwhogames has really good advice and methods as well. I went up by 40 marks after being taught by him for an evening before the exam. His advice and teaching have really helped me improve in huge strides. I strongly recommend heeding his advice.

Oh hey, how have you been? Could you possibly link me to him? I really need to fix up in Maths!
Original post by HisMajesty_Kwabz
Oh hey, how have you been? Could you possibly link me to him? I really need to fix up in Maths!

Good man. What about you?.
Sure.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5180580
^ That's his GYG
Original post by fiddletrio
Freddie ma G!!:girlhit:

thank you VERY much Maanya (but what would dev say)
Ngl my predicted grades seem really disappointing compared to all of you lol 😂 If I get in with mostly 6s and a few 7s, I’ll count myself lucky
damn that's good. that 8 in maths is pretty noice

Thank you. Hopefully we will all get in wayyy higher in our actual GCSEs.
Dude you went beast mode on these GCSEs. Any advice on how to get those 9s in English. Well done on those impressive grades.

thanksss man. for English, it's hard to generalise the formula for high marks; you definitely want to have a clear, original take on each text you're studying that shows you have in some way thought beyond the obvious meaning, and have the form, structure, language and context references to back it up (works for AQA at least, dunno if it varies for exam boards but I'd assume some level of consistency)
I'm lucky in that I go to a grammar school.

I spent year 9/10 and the start of year 11 actually learning, but since the mocks I have been basically playing the exam system in the subjects that I'm bad at or not continuing to A-Level.

What do you mean when you say playing the exam system? Is this the trick to getting 9s😱😱😱.
thank you VERY much Maanya (but what would dev say)

"G"- Universal gravitational constant.....Let's leave Dev out of this :shot:
Original post by HisMajesty_Kwabz
Ngl my predicted grades seem really disappointing compared to all of you lol 😂 If I get in with mostly 6s and a few 7s, I’ll count myself lucky

dw man. it's just predictions anyway, but if you get the grades to get into the right sixth form then you've got the main reward anyways. Once we're in sixth form, we'll be on a level playing field again.
What do you mean when you say playing the exam system? Is this the trick to getting 9s😱😱😱.

No this is not the trick. Only a few people in the whole of the uk taking gcses <1% will get all 9s/mostly 9s due to grade boundaries being set after the exams have been taken...
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by fiddletrio
"G"- Universal gravitational constant.....Let's leave Dev out of this :shot:

well then so honoured to be your 6.674×10−11 m3⋅kg−1⋅s−2
one hunna percent did not just google that.

Quick Reply

Latest